The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duchene and Landeskog could be hitting the market

billabong

7 hours ago, suitup said:

Duchene is seriously one of my favorite players in the NHL currently, but even I think his asking price is too much. They're essentially asking for a 1 for 1 swap + more. It's like they're asking the other team to get ripped off.

Outside of this 70 point campaign, he hasn't even hit 60. Sure he's 26, but you're also asking for a young proven player. A young proven player that could end up as good as Duchene someday + more. Right now Duchene isn't even on pace to hit 60 at 26 years old. 

I haven't seen them asking for a "proven" player plus more.  From what i've seen it's only been a young player with top end potential (doesn't have to be proven) + more.  If canucks were to be involved it would certainly involve one of our 3 young LHD (Tryamkin, Juolievi, Hutton) and personally I don't want to give up on any of them right now. 

"He wants a high-end, young prospect-age defenseman – or if not prospect, in his early 20s – as part of a package that also includes plus-plus. Whether that’s a first-round pick and another asset, who knows. Depends on the team making the offer. But it’s a huge ask for Matt Duchene"

http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/mckenzie-i-think-david-poile-is-going-to-be-fairly-aggressive/

So basically:

Sergachev + MTL 1st round pick

Slavin + CAR 1st (top 10 protected)

Chabot + OTT 1st round pick

Murray + 1st round pick

Lots of unknown, especially around teams that are on the bubble right now.  It wouldn't surprise me if a deal doesn't happen until the summer or more likely before the draft. 

My money is still on CBJ, post playoffs, prior to expansion.

Murray + Jenner + pick

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I haven't seen them asking for a "proven" player plus more.  From what i've seen it's only been a young player with top end potential (doesn't have to be proven) + more.  If canucks were to be involved it would certainly involve one of our 3 young LHD (Tryamkin, Juolievi, Hutton) and personally I don't want to give up on any of them right now. 

"He wants a high-end, young prospect-age defenseman – or if not prospect, in his early 20s – as part of a package that also includes plus-plus. Whether that’s a first-round pick and another asset, who knows. Depends on the team making the offer. But it’s a huge ask for Matt Duchene"

http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/mckenzie-i-think-david-poile-is-going-to-be-fairly-aggressive/

So basically:

Sergachev + MTL 1st round pick

Slavin + CAR 1st (top 10 protected)

Chabot + OTT 1st round pick

Murray + 1st round pick

Lots of unknown, especially around teams that are on the bubble right now.  It wouldn't surprise me if a deal doesn't happen until the summer or more likely before the draft. 

My money is still on CBJ, post playoffs, prior to expansion.

Murray + Jenner + pick

Hall got Larsen.  Why would Duchene get more?  

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

more?  hall got Larsson not Larsen... None of the players listed are better than Larsson, not even close, Larsson is an absolute beast.

Isn't the return you suggested young players (with very high ceilings) and future first rounders?  Maybe Duchene returns a guy 24+, who is a solid defensive dman, like Larsson?  Larsson is much like Tanev: excellent in his own zone, but little to no offence.  Those young d you listed all have huge offensive potential, so I see their having more value.

Just now, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Jb said he is not trading draft picks. Also they will want either a 1st or prospect like virtanen

Hall didn't get kind of return, and he's a more complete (points and physical too) player than Duchene.  Maybe Landeskog nets a better return than Duchene?

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hall didn't get kind of return, and he's a more complete (points and physical too) player than Duchene.  Maybe Landeskog nets a better return than Duchene?

You need to let go of the Hall trade. You quote it like all trades going forward will use that as a measuring stick. Yet nothing even remotely close has happened since. The Hall trade was an aberration. Not the norm. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

You need to let go of the Hall trade. You quote it like all trades going forward will use that as a measuring stick. Yet nothing even remotely close has happened since. The Hall trade was an aberration. Not the norm. 

Why is the Hall trade not the market?  It is kind of like Duchene is in a similar circumstance to Hall.  Good numbers, on a very bad team.  A tradition of losing, but a talented offensive player.  They are even of similar age.  Heck, Duchene might return less than Hall, because of the need to protect him in the coming expansion draft?

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't the return you suggested young players (with very high ceilings) and future first rounders?  Maybe Duchene returns a guy 24+, who is a solid defensive dman, like Larsson?  Larsson is much like Tanev: excellent in his own zone, but little to no offence.  Those young d you listed all have huge offensive potential, so I see their having more value.

Potential doesn't mean they are a sure things, and because of that it lowers there value, along with the fact they are 3-5 years out while Duchene is able to produce today, You're right Larsson is like tanev, but he can also lay devastating hits. Larsson is an excellent D very much a Ohlund type D.   Offence isn't the only value when it comes to defence, offensive potential isn't easy to predict when it comes to D.  Hamhuis produced at a ppg in junior yet never cracked 40 points in the NHL.  Also the first round picks will all be late firsts.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why is the Hall trade not the market?  It is kind of like Duchene is in a similar circumstance to Hall.  Good numbers, on a very bad team.  A tradition of losing, but a talented offensive player.  They are even of similar age.  Heck, Duchene might return less than Hall, because of the need to protect him in the coming expansion draft?

Because we aren't talking about a homogeneous league.  Every team is constructed differently and has different needs.  Beyond that, the extent of those needs vary wildly.  Edmonton, after YEARS of trying to rebuild identified a player they felt was extremely important to acquire.  They wee also in a position to part with a high end asset that was essentially replaceable within their system.  That doesn't mean every other gm in the league would have paid that price for the player.  Nor does it mean that all future deals need to use it as a benchmark

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Potential doesn't mean they are a sure things, and because of that it lowers there value, along with the fact they are 3-5 years out while Duchene is able to produce today, You're right Larsson is like tanev, but he can also lay devastating hits. Larsson is an excellent D very much a Ohlund type D.   Offence isn't the only value when it comes to defence, offensive potential isn't easy to predict when it comes to D.  Hamhuis produced at a ppg in junior yet never cracked 40 points in the NHL.  Also the first round picks will all be late firsts.  

I'm a Duchene fan, and know he's fun to watch.  If we could get him here (for a fair price) I'd like that.  As it stands now, we have Bo and that's it for exciting forwards.  

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Because we aren't talking about a homogeneous league.  Every team is constructed differently and has different needs.  Beyond that, the extent of those needs vary wildly.  Edmonton, after YEARS of trying to rebuild identified a player they felt was extremely important to acquire.  They wee also in a position to part with a high end asset that was essentially replaceable within their system.  That doesn't mean every other gm in the league would have paid that price for the player.  Nor does it mean that all future deals need to use it as a benchmark

Tanev + Virtanen for Duchene + Barrie, and that's my final (final) offer.  ::D

Sakic, AGM MacFarland and a scout were in Boston to watch the Bruins play the Habs (while Colorado was playing the Islanders).  Also:

----

The Habs are struggling right now (Price has not been his stellar self lately) and have only won 1 game in their last 7.   Lots of noise that they want to play Galchenyuk at wing because there are concerns re his D game and that he doesn't use his wingers efficiently to be a C.  They are apparently very interested in Duchene.   

The Colorado Avalanche asked for Cody Ceci, a first-round pick in 2017, Thomas Chabot or Colin White + more in exchange for either Matt Duchene or Gabriel Landeskog.

Senators GM Pierre Dorion scoffed at the price.

"Joe and I talked and, at this point in time, I can’t see us going in that direction. It wouldn’t make sense."

Archived