The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our powerless play

yes we can nucks

Our powerplay is a real embarrassment.  It's now second worst in the NHL.  It's predictable and easy for other teams to shut down.  It's too static with basically the Sedins playing catch.  It's been like this for a couple of years.  Why aren't the coaches trying something else?  They're the ones responsible for devising a system.  The players only try to execute.  More shots have to be taken.  There needs to be more chaos in front of the net.  Yannik Weber's hard shot didn't work because he couldn't find the net.  Edler's injured.  Why not try Pedan, who has the team's hardest shot?  Do something... anything... but the same old is not working!  It's so damn frustrating to watch.  We might as well decline the penalty.

Thoughts?  Solutions?

Simple save: 

Put players that have chemistry with Sedins on PP1 

PP1: 

Sedins Eriksson 

Hansen stecher 

PP2 

Rodin horvat granlund 

Baertschi edler 

Watch that produce!!!

Canucks healthy lineup:

Sedins Eriksson 

Baertschi horvat burrows 

Rodin granlund hansen

Dorsett Sutter gaunce

Edler stecher 

Tyamkin Tanev 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Marky 

Hutton shouldnt be in the nhl he isn't ready like virtanen. Should come up next year! 

Plus sbisa is playing good so he deserves to play.

PK1 

horvat burrows 

Stecher tanev.  (Out our best D together)

PK2 

Granlund Hansen. 

Edler Tryamkin 

Transition PK line: 

Sutter Eriksson 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Expansion draft: 

Sedins 

Eriksson 

Horvat

Baertschi 

Hansen

Granlund 

Edler

Tanev 

Gudbranson 

*Expose Sutter hope they take him*

Next year's line: 

Baertschi horvat boeser 

Sedins Eriksson 

Rodin granlund Hansen 

Dorsett gaunce burrows 1 year1.5million

Edler stecher 

Juolevi Tanev 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Hutton (he's gotta earn it back) 

Trade moves: 

Trade Edler for top 6 winger 

Reshaped D pairings 

Hutton Tanev 

Juolevi stecher 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

12 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Simple save: 

PP1: 

Sedins Eriksson 

Hansen stecher 

PP2 

Rodin horvat granlund 

Baertschi edler 

Watch that produce!!!

Canucks healthy lineup:

Sedins Eriksson 

Baertschi horvat burrows 

Rodin granlund hansen

Dorsett Sutter gaunce

Edler stecher 

Tyamkin Tanev 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Marky 

Hutton shouldnt be in the nhl he isn't ready like virtanen. Should come up next year! 

PK1 

horvat burrows 

PK2 

Granlund Hansen. 

Edler Tryamkin 

Transition PK line: 

Sutter Eriksson 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Expansion draft: 

Sedins 

Eriksson 

Horvat

Baertschi 

Hansen

Granlund 

Edler

Tanev 

Gudbranson 

Next year's line: 

Baertschi horvat boeser 

Sedins Eriksson 

Rodin granlund Hansen 

Edler stecher 

Juolevi Tanev 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Trade moves: 

Reshaped D pairings 

Hutton Tanev 

Juolevi stecher 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Damn, Hutton went from the 7D (he's gotta earn it back) to the top pairing almost instantly in your analysis. A bit contradictory.

1 hour ago, theilluminati said:

Damn, Hutton went from the 7D (he's gotta earn it back) to the top pairing almost instantly in your analysis. A bit contradictory.

Not necessarily, but u make a good point. I put him there cuz I figure that anyone will look good beside tanev. And tanevs game will allow Hutton to develop better offensively.

1 hour ago, orcasgonewild said:

Simple save: 

PP1: 

Sedins Eriksson 

Hansen stecher 

PP2 

Rodin horvat granlund 

Baertschi edler 

Watch that produce!!!

Canucks healthy lineup:

Sedins Eriksson 

Baertschi horvat burrows 

Rodin granlund hansen

Dorsett Sutter gaunce

Edler stecher 

Tyamkin Tanev 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Marky 

PK1 

horvat burrows 

PK2 

Granlund Hansen. 

Edler Tryamkin 

Transition PK line: 

Sutter Eriksson 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Expansion draft: 

Sedins 

Eriksson 

Horvat

Baertschi 

Hansen

Granlund 

Edler

Tanev 

Gudbranson 

Next year's line: 

Baertschi horvat boeser 

Sedins Eriksson 

Rodin granlund Hansen 

Edler stecher 

Juolevi Tanev 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

Trade moves: 

Reshaped D pairings 

Hutton Tanev 

Juolevi stecher 

Sbisa Gudbranson 

I like it!

Go look up the numbers - the Sedins have been utterly abysmal on the powerplay their entire careers.  I can remember long stretches where they weren't scoring 2 goals for every 60 minutes they were spending with the man-advantage (the man-advantage quite often isn't an actual advantage for us when the Sedins are on the power-play).  Yet, that hasn't stopped our team from throwing 1st-unit powerplay time at them like it's going out of style.  They haven't earned a second of it.  Ever.

Alex Burrows, on the other hand, is one of the Top 10 goal-scorers in Canucks history.  He's one of the (very) few snipers we've ever had.  And, just how much powerplay time has he gotten in his career?  Virtually none.  Jannik Hansen is a Top-25 goal-scorer - and he's gotten even less than Burrows!  It's ridiculous.

Think about that for a second...  For years and years now, we've had the #9 and #24 goal-scorers in franchise history riding the pine every single powerplay.

13 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Not necessarily, but u make a good point. I put him there cuz I figure that anyone will look good beside tanev. And tanevs game will allow Hutton to develop better offensively.

That is why Hutton was with Gudbranson this year , was it not ?

How has that worked so far ?

Absolutely terrible .

1 minute ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Go look up the numbers - the Sedins have been utterly abysmal on the powerplay their entire careers.  I can remember long stretches where they weren't scoring 2 goals for every 60 minutes they were spending with the man-advantage (the man-advantage quite often isn't an actual advantage for us when the Sedins are on the power-play).  Yet, that hasn't stopped our team from throwing 1st-unit powerplay time at them like it's going out of style.  They haven't earned a second of it.  Ever.

Alex Burrows, on the other hand, is one of the Top 10 goal-scorers in Canucks history.  He's one of the (very) few snipers we've ever had.  And, just how much powerplay time has he gotten in his career?  Virtually none.  Jannik Hansen is a Top-25 goal-scorer - and he's gotten even less than Burrows!  It's ridiculous.

Think about that for a second...  For years and years now, we've had the #9 and #24 goal-scorers in franchise history riding the pine every single powerplay.

I completely agree with what your saying. The canucks best shooters aren't on the power play. Things need to change!

• -SN- changed the title to Our powerless play

Years ago I posted almost to the day when the Canuck power play declined, not a prediction or anything like that, just the stat sheet for PP percentages.

No matter what people may think of the player involved, it is what it is.

The day Hodgson got traded this team's PP declined more than 8% and has never recovered.

Anyone can look up those details, the day of the trade and the team's PP% before and after the trade. 

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Years ago I posted almost to the day when the Canuck power play declined, not a prediction or anything like that, just the stat sheet for PP percentages.

No matter what people may think of the player involved, it is what it is.

The day Hodgson got traded this team's PP declined more than 8% and has never recovered.

Anyone can look up those details, the day of the trade and the team's PP% before and after the trade. 

Wait so now somehow Cody Hodgson is the reason the powerplay has declined?

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Well, I did look up the numbers.  I think it's an exaggeration to say 'the Sedins have been utterly abysmal on the powerplay their entire careers'.  They actually had a half dozen very good seasons on the powerplay, starting from the 2005-06 season - when Henrik and Daniel got 32 pts each - and ending in the Cup year, 2010-11 - when Henrik got 35 pts and Daniel got 42 (including 18 G).  In 2011, the Canucks had the #1 powerplay in the league with an amazing 24% success rate.  Their pp was driven by the Sedins.  But it also had Ehrhoff with his big shot who was third in assists (22) after the twins.  It also had Kesler with his great screening and deflecting skills in front of the net.   He had 15 goals that season, second only to Daniel.  This points to what is lacking in the Canucks pp now - a big accurate shot from the point, and someone who can create havoc in front of the net and get the garbage goals.  

So I don't agree that the Sedins are the main problem with the pp.  It's the missing components that gave the team success before.  And it's up to the coaches to deploy those players who can be those components.  I do agree with you that it's ridiculous that Burrows and Hansen especially are not used more on the pp.  Both are the type of players that can muck it up in front of the net.  Edler can provide the big shot, but he's injured.  Pedan has the team's hardest shot.  Why not give him a try?

Split up the Sedins on the PP.

My personal preferences, not necessarily permanent but to get the Sedin going, and keep the Sedins together for even strength play.

PP1

Burrows, Horvat, Baertschi, Daniel Sedin, and Stecher

PP2

Eriksson, Sutter, Henrik Sedin, Grandlund, and Hutton

The Sedins will be primarily the passer, playmaker at the half board, less reliance on each other for easy predictable stop on PP.  Finding ways to shoot more with them apart. 

For 5 on 3 PP, no more Sedin together.  They tried and failed miserably on two occasions. 

Just one unit:

Eriksson, Henrik Sedin, Horvat, Stecher, and Baerstchi

We think we have such great D and in not hating on our D, i think defensively they hold their own.  The problem with our D is we dont have one player who can quarterback or bomb that shot on net.  Every team knows it they dont respect our defence, they stay down low and focus on the sedin cycle or whoever is out there..  

I think thats the hugest flaws with our powerplay..  when was our D most successful?  When we had versatile defencemen be it jovanovski, ehrhoff, even edler when he could shoot more notably Sami Salo.  Ehrhoff could really move a good shot, he was the true defensive end quarterback we ever had never a better since he left.  And Sami Salo was a boom cannon one oh my favs commanded respect and everyone was aware of that threat when he was on the ice.

with players with either a heavy shot or quarterback skill are on the ice the oppositions defence is forced to challenge and cover the back end creating huge holes for down low plays and playmaking in general.  Without it were a one dimensional team to cover and mitigate our down low threat.

its not the sedins, its not our forwards or our coaches or our systems.  Its a matter of no offensive minded or talented defencemen that is destroying our PP chances.  

1 hour ago, xRussianrocket said:

We think we have such great D and in not hating on our D, i think defensively they hold their own.  The problem with our D is we dont have one player who can quarterback or bomb that shot on net.  Every team knows it they dont respect our defence, they stay down low and focus on the sedin cycle or whoever is out there..  

I think thats the hugest flaws with our powerplay..  when was our D most successful?  When we had versatile defencemen be it jovanovski, ehrhoff, even edler when he could shoot more notably Sami Salo.  Ehrhoff could really move a good shot, he was the true defensive end quarterback we ever had never a better since he left.  And Sami Salo was a boom cannon one oh my favs commanded respect and everyone was aware of that threat when he was on the ice.

with players with either a heavy shot or quarterback skill are on the ice the oppositions defence is forced to challenge and cover the back end creating huge holes for down low plays and playmaking in general.  Without it were a one dimensional team to cover and mitigate our down low threat.

its not the sedins, its not our forwards or our coaches or our systems.  Its a matter of no offensive minded or talented defencemen that is destroying our PP chances.  

They have one named Jordan Subban, but supposedly he's way worse than Ben Hutton, so you'll never see him play.

9 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

They have one named Jordan Subban, but supposedly he's way worse than Ben Hutton, so you'll never see him play.

Well he is small and a defensive liability. But very offensively gifted. At this point i dont see why not give him a chance.

but he is not his brother, over hyped because of his brother. If he can refine his defensive game he would be exactly the type of player we need.

give him a chance at this point, if worse comes to worse we showcased a tradable asset we could get returns on.

win win either case scenario

Archived