The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our powerless play

yes we can nucks

17 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Go look up the numbers - the Sedins have been utterly abysmal on the powerplay their entire careers.  I can remember long stretches where they weren't scoring 2 goals for every 60 minutes they were spending with the man-advantage (the man-advantage quite often isn't an actual advantage for us when the Sedins are on the power-play).  Yet, that hasn't stopped our team from throwing 1st-unit powerplay time at them like it's going out of style.  They haven't earned a second of it.  Ever.

Alex Burrows, on the other hand, is one of the Top 10 goal-scorers in Canucks history.  He's one of the (very) few snipers we've ever had.  And, just how much powerplay time has he gotten in his career?  Virtually none.  Jannik Hansen is a Top-25 goal-scorer - and he's gotten even less than Burrows!  It's ridiculous.

Think about that for a second...  For years and years now, we've had the #9 and #24 goal-scorers in franchise history riding the pine every single powerplay.

Entire career s?  What about when we had the best in the league...Go look it up.

19 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Go look up the numbers - the Sedins have been utterly abysmal on the powerplay their entire careers.  I can remember long stretches where they weren't scoring 2 goals for every 60 minutes they were spending with the man-advantage (the man-advantage quite often isn't an actual advantage for us when the Sedins are on the power-play).  Yet, that hasn't stopped our team from throwing 1st-unit powerplay time at them like it's going out of style.  They haven't earned a second of it.  Ever.

Alex Burrows, on the other hand, is one of the Top 10 goal-scorers in Canucks history.  He's one of the (very) few snipers we've ever had.  And, just how much powerplay time has he gotten in his career?  Virtually none.  Jannik Hansen is a Top-25 goal-scorer - and he's gotten even less than Burrows!  It's ridiculous.

Think about that for a second...  For years and years now, we've had the #9 and #24 goal-scorers in franchise history riding the pine every single powerplay.

I try to be polite when I post on the internet but let me quickly go through your rum & egg nog post...

- Utterly abysmal? For a few years the Sedins had PK's across the league scared of getting embarrassed

- They haven't earned a second of it? Ever? Not even gonna waste anymore keystrokes on this...

- Alex Burrows is not a sniper

- Jannik Hansen is top-25 in goals on the Canucks? So throw him on the PP? 

- #9 & #24 franchise scorers not getting PP time? Do you have any idea where you can find Henrik Sedin & Daniel Sedin on that list? 

Like I said, I try to be polite on the internet. But your post above is so short-sighted, so unintelligent, so abysmal, that I am wondering if you are in the age 12-16 demographic and wrote that in an attempt of a "trolling". I'm too old to really understand what trolling is or what it's for, but if it's not funny then why say it? 

Merry Christmas kids 

20 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

Wait so now somehow Cody Hodgson is the reason the powerplay has declined?

Maybe not so much the person as the player. They have never replaced whatever he had that made it go.

For whatever reason he was good on the PP with just about anyone they put on the 2nd unit, at the time of his trade he was responsible for over 20% of the team's PP goals.

I think after they just started leaving the Sedins out longer and longer and they never have gotten a 2nd unit going so the 1 rst unit see's the top defenders.

15 minutes ago, smokes said:

The power play will always be terrible until the Canucks get a cannon in the backend. I miss Salo.

This is why I think Canucks should give Pedan a chance on the pp.  He has the hardest shot on the team.  But a cannon from the point is 'pointless' if there isn't a screen in front of the goalie followed by quick sticks going for the rebounds.  In 2011 when we had the league's best pp (24%) we had Ehrhoff's big shot and Kesler's screen and pouncing on loose pucks for 15 pp goals.  We need guys who will fill these roles now.

8 hours ago, xRussianrocket said:

Well he is small and a defensive liability. But very offensively gifted. At this point i dont see why not give him a chance.

but he is not his brother, over hyped because of his brother. If he can refine his defensive game he would be exactly the type of player we need.

give him a chance at this point, if worse comes to worse we showcased a tradable asset we could get returns on.

win win either case scenario

I'm sure he's been part of every trade proposal Wormtongue Wisebrod has drawn up. I've had the sense he'll be this year's Shinkaruk, ever since they booted him after one pre-season game. 

On 24/12/2016 at 7:44 AM, yes we can nucks said:

Our powerplay is a real embarrassment.  It's now second worst in the NHL.  It's predictable and easy for other teams to shut down.  It's too static with basically the Sedins playing catch.  It's been like this for a couple of years.  Why aren't the coaches trying something else?  They're the ones responsible for devising a system.  The players only try to execute.  More shots have to be taken.  There needs to be more chaos in front of the net.  Yannik Weber's hard shot didn't work because he couldn't find the net.  Edler's injured.  Why not try Pedan, who has the team's hardest shot?  Do something... anything... but the same old is not working!  It's so damn frustrating to watch.  We might as well decline the penalty.

Thoughts?  Solutions?

I agree that our PP is absolute horse sh!t but there's no way in hell I'd throw Pedan out there. I suppose we could swap Biega out for Pedan but I actually want Biega in the line up getting those last handful of games in so he'll fulfill our expansion draft requirements (unprotected defenseman), in case we end up trading Tanev or Edler. Then we can protect Sbisa. 

I would like to see Hansen man a point on the PP. I also don't mind Baertschi at the point. Our zone entry is absolutely pathetic though....gotta figure that out.

Biggest mistake is the improper utilization of Loui. Look at all of his goals from last year, they are garbage goals and greasy rebounds from within the paint. They need him as a net front presence on PP1, with Stecher and Hansen on the points. 

Oh and the Sedins need to do something other than waste 1-2 minutes of PP time a game passing to each other.. 

19 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Maybe not so much the person as the player. They have never replaced whatever he had that made it go.

For whatever reason he was good on the PP with just about anyone they put on the 2nd unit, at the time of his trade he was responsible for over 20% of the team's PP goals.

I think after they just started leaving the Sedins out longer and longer and they never have gotten a 2nd unit going so the 1 rst unit see's the top defenders.

Hodgson had 5 pp goals and 6 assists

Salo had 7 pp goals and 7 assists

Edler had 5 pp goals and 17 assists

Daniel had 10 pp goals and 15 assists

Henrik had 8 pp goals and 19 assists

Like the Sedins, Edler isn't the offensive talent he once was. The real problem is we haven't replaced what the Sedins had that made it go, or the offensive D-men.

if the twins are going to plant their heels  against the boards and our defense is going to plant their heels on the blueline and just throw the puck around and eventually have a defenseman throw a soft wrister at the net with no one in front,exactly how does this in anyway constitute a powerplay.How many times over the last god knows how long have we seen a defenseman get a puck with at least 10 or 15 feet to move down for a great shot on net and just fire it from the blueline anyway.I guarantee there are peewee coaches that can run a better powerplay than that incompetent Willie.No movement what so ever by any of the 5 players on the 1st unit.Pass the hell out of the puck but don't look for a shooting lane.The arrogance of the Sedins is mind boggling.They try absolutely nothing different when they are sent out there.I'd sit Henrik.Wouldn't even put him out there.Hansen with that blaster from just above the circle that we have seen lately.There's my replacement.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:39 AM, Baggins said:

Hodgson had 5 pp goals and 6 assists

Salo had 7 pp goals and 7 assists

Edler had 5 pp goals and 17 assists

Daniel had 10 pp goals and 15 assists

Henrik had 8 pp goals and 19 assists

Like the Sedins, Edler isn't the offensive talent he once was. The real problem is we haven't replaced what the Sedins had that made it go, or the offensive D-men.

4 of the 5 players you mentioned were mostly on the first unit, Edler spent a lot of time on the second unit. Still Hodgson was responsible for 11 PP goals, just from his stats in 2/3 rds of the season.

Regardless, for whatever reason the PP dropped immediately after the trade, for whatever reason the second unit stopped producing and the first unit declined production, it is easy to look up.

Since that date the PP has remained close to the same lowered percentage. 

11 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

4 of the 5 players you mentioned were mostly on the first unit, Edler spent a lot of time on the second unit. Still Hodgson was responsible for 11 PP goals, just from his stats in 2/3 rds of the season.

Regardless, for whatever reason the PP dropped immediately after the trade, for whatever reason the second unit stopped producing and the first unit declined production, it is easy to look up.

Since that date the PP has remained close to the same lowered percentage. 

That year after the Boston rematch the Bruins owner complained about all the penalties being called. Several other owners were on board with his complaint. After that the way the was reffed changed letting far more go. The Canucks production dropped off right after that, before Hodgson was traded. We had a team makeup that enforcing the rules was in our favor. Letting more go really played more in favor of the teams with size. Which is why Gillis started looking for deals immediately after that season to acquire bigger more physical players. Two things work when refs let a lot go: speed and/or size. We weren't a particularly fast or big team. Our makeup was more skill and puck movement.

12 hours ago, Baggins said:

That year after the Boston rematch the Bruins owner complained about all the penalties being called. Several other owners were on board with his complaint. After that the way the was reffed changed letting far more go. The Canucks production dropped off right after that, before Hodgson was traded. We had a team makeup that enforcing the rules was in our favor. Letting more go really played more in favor of the teams with size. Which is why Gillis started looking for deals immediately after that season to acquire bigger more physical players. Two things work when refs let a lot go: speed and/or size. We weren't a particularly fast or big team. Our makeup was more skill and puck movement.

You can look up game by game power play efficiency the year of the trade. Like I stated it was almost to the game where the PP% declined an has not tecovered.

Before the trade the team scored 48 goals in 224 PP's, 21.4%, 63 games, 2 nd in the league.

After the trade, 9 goals in 64 PP's, 14.1%, 19 games, 22nd in the league.

Hodgson's 11 pts represented almost 23% of the PP out put and has never been replaced.

11 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You can look up game by game power play efficiency the year of the trade. Like I stated it was almost to the game where the PP% declined an has not tecovered.

Before the trade the team scored 48 goals in 224 PP's, 21.4%, 63 games, 2 nd in the league.

After the trade, 9 goals in 64 PP's, 14.1%, 19 games, 22nd in the league.

Hodgson's 11 pts represented almost 23% of the PP out put and has never been replaced.

Yes, and it's also when the way the game was being reffed changed. Scoring has dropped since.

Archived