The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ari-Van [proposal]

To Arizona

Tanev + 3rd 

To Vancouver

Keller http://www.dobberprospects.com/clayton-keller/

Merkley http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nick-merkley/

Why Arizona does this: Tanev is a fancy stats sweetheart and Is a perfect fit to put alongside OEL or bring Chychrun up alongside. Keller is riding a bit of a high right now after a BIG WJC showing however is far from proven he's only 5'10" 168lbs and is stuck in their log jam behind Devorak, Strome, along with Dauphin, Mcinnis up the middle. Arizona is pretty loaded with young talented C's.  Merkley shows promise but with Crouse, Fischer, Duclair, Perlini, Domi, they won't be crying from lack of youth on the wings either. 

Why Van does this: If Horvat is our future 1C/A Keller projects as a perfect 1C/B he's got the skill level and creativity we are woefully lacking in our prospect pool. Tanev IMO should be moved he is becoming increasingly fragile and Injuries will eventually catchup to him. He is also past the age of being a good fit for our future core. IMO Stetcher is a more effective partner for Elder. Merkley is a guy I really like I live in Vernon and watched him as a Rocket he's very speedy with high end passing who certainly doesn't shy away from contact I would be surprised if he doesn't turn into a future 50pt NHL player or better. 

Future Canucks 

Bae Bo Boeser

Virtanen Keller Merkley

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Depth: Lockwood, Cassels, Gaudette, Jasek, Rodin, Gaunce, Zhuk, future draft pix etc

Edler Stetch

Juolevi Tram

Sbisa Gud

Hutton Subban

Don't think we miss Tanev at all with that top 8

17 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Keller is a star and they'll need him moving forward more than Tanev who'll likely be 30 by the time they're competitive

CoHo was a star after the WJC too. Keller hasn't proved anything plus he's puny. As I mentioned he has a huge hill to climb to get on their roster ahead of Strome, Dvorak. Keller is not of the bottom 6 ilk so its top 6 or bust for him I'm afraid. 

Just now, KKnight said:

Could be, but i love Domi's game. He just has that it factor. Skill,creative, edge, tough. I think him and Bo would be amazing together. 

They were team mates after all on the Knights but I don't have to tell you about knights your the expert. That being said Domi is putting butts in their seats in Arizona like you said he has that it factor. I highly doubt they trade him. Tanevs style of play doesn't exactly buy tickets unless your putting on a sleep convention. Domi is untouchable unless your giving them a poster boy back. 

What would the interest be in their #1 pick this coming draft for tanev? 

If we have a chance at one of those 3 centers in the top 5 (Patrick, Hirscher or Mittelstadt), all of which could be #2C for us, would we do it? 

Obviously depends how we do in February but just a thought.

Domi - Horvat - Boeser 

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Sutter - Eriksson

Burr or Ufa - Gaunce - Dorsett

Im assuming either Granlund is traded or claimed in expansion draft, as much as i dont waant that to happen. 

Edler - Stecher

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Hutton - Gudbranson

Markstrom

Miller or Ufa

12 minutes ago, dayner said:

What would the interest be in their #1 pick this coming draft for tanev? 

If we have a chance at one of those 3 centers in the top 5 (Patrick, Hirscher or Mittelstadt), all of which could be #2C for us, would we do it? 

Obviously depends how we do in February but just a thought.

I'd like Vilardi personally if we could get pick 3-5 over Mittelstadt not that he would be a bad pick at all either. Though I think the only guy there I wouldn't take Keller ahead of is Hischier and even then it's debatable. Either way he's gone before Arizona drafts anyway so the point is moot. Keller has a high bust probability but his skill is so high he's more than worth taking a big swing at we don't have anyone with his level of pure offensive skill in our system not even close. 

I'd want Domi or I'd someone else on top of the Tanev for their #1 pick. If we traded Tanev and a forward that is likely to get claimed in the expansion draft anyway it wouldn't be a bad deal and we would most likely finish have two picks in the top 6 or 7. Although management has been reluctant to trade roster players for picks so it will never happen.

33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'd like Vilardi personally if we could get pick 3-5 over Mittelstadt not that he would be a bad pick at all either. Though I think the only guy there I wouldn't take Keller ahead of is Hischier and even then it's debatable. Either way he's gone before Arizona drafts anyway so the point is moot. Keller has a high bust probability but his skill is so high he's more than worth taking a big swing at we don't have anyone with his level of pure offensive skill in our system not even close. 

Sorry I meant to add in Vilardi not Mittelstadt. But Arizona has a decent possibility of picking number one. 

Not to mention if Colorado picks number 1 and depending on what they do this TDL day I am of the impression they will be going for the big swede D-man.

I think if JB can trade tanev to have the chance of Patrick or Hirscher I think he should go for it.

19 minutes ago, dayner said:

Sorry I meant to add in Vilardi not Mittelstadt. But Arizona has a decent possibility of picking number one. 

Not to mention if Colorado picks number 1 and depending on what they do this TDL day I am of the impression they will be going for the big swede D-man.

I think if JB can trade tanev to have the chance of Patrick or Hirscher I think he should go for it.

Picks always seem to be worth more before their picked. I think Tanev is worth a top 5 pick in this draft but I don't think anyone gives up a top 5 pick for Tanev.  He's not exactly a guy people get excited about.

13 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

If we move Tanev to Arizona, I only do it for Strome and maybe a little extra. I wouldn't say no to Domi but I think we could use Strome more and he'll be more versatile.

What do you see in Strome? I just feel hes a soft guy who gets his points on the PP. Doesnt put the full effort needed to be a consistently effective player 5 on 5. Domi you can see hes willing to go to battle every night. Love the determination, mixed with all the other intagibles. Perfect for this team. IMO. 

5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

If we move Tanev to Arizona, I only do it for Strome and maybe a little extra. I wouldn't say no to Domi but I think we could use Strome more and he'll be more versatile.

Annnnnd Tanevs NTC kicks in because no team anywhere gives their franchise player or future hopes and dreams of their franchise for Tanev. So we sit and stand pat and hope after the Sedins retire and after a decade of top 10 picks we become competitive again. Keller and Merkley aren't scraps but they don't have the same flash that Strome Domi have they won't be moved unless their getting a franchise player in the deal which Tanev is not.  

I won't spend much time arguing between Strome or Domi as I'd take either really, but if we trade Tanev it's not for two unproven, lesser pieces because we feel pressured by Tanev's upcoming limited NTC (which only allows him to block 8 teams, starting next season).

21 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I won't spend much time arguing between Strome or Domi as I'd take either really, but if we trade Tanev it's not for two unproven, lesser pieces because we feel pressured by Tanev's upcoming limited NTC (which only allows him to block 8 teams, starting next season).

I would take Keller, Merkley as a package 10/10 over Strome or Domi individually especially Strome.

Archived