The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PROPOSAL Van - Tor

To Van: Tor 2017 1st , 2017 3rd, Nikita Zaitsev

To Tor: Chris Tanev,  Tate Olson, 2017  4th

Explanation:

Toronto is having a hard time keeping the puck out of their own net. They're currently 20th in goals against average. They can score, power plays good, but they need that defencive touch and Reilly cant do it all by himself. Gardner is better suited as a top 4 anyway so insert Tanev, who is not only a shut down defenceman but is on a stellar contract for a few years to come. Not only that but Tanev being right handed to compliment Reillys left is a bonus. Tate olson as possible depth defenceman is an added bonus.

Tanev is entering his prime, and the canucks as a group need a few more years of retooling to become cup contenders again. Also sending Tanev to the east is a bonus. This way these two picks accelerate our rebuild, potentially bringing in another blue chip prospect. Although they currently sit 15th in the league just outside a lottery slot, Benning so far has had a keen eye for talent where little is to be found (Boeser, Tryamkin, Gaudette)  and hopefully dupe the critics who say its a weak year. The Canucks also get to protect one more key player, and get Zaitsev on a cheap soon to end contract. 

Toronto gets the defencive nudge they need to possibly make the playoffs, and Vancouver get good again that much faster. 

14 minutes ago, ColeTr11 said:

To Van: Tor 2017 1st , 2017 3rd, Nikita Zaitsev

To Tor: Chris Tanev,  Tate Olson, 2017  4th

Explanation:

Toronto is having a hard time keeping the puck out of their own net. They're currently 20th in goals against average. They can score, power plays good, but they need that defencive touch and Reilly cant do it all by himself. Gardner is better suited as a top 4 anyway so insert Tanev, who is not only a shut down defenceman but is on a stellar contract for a few years to come. Not only that but Tanev being right handed to compliment Reillys left is a bonus. Tate olson as possible depth defenceman is an added bonus.

Tanev is entering his prime, and the canucks as a group need a few more years of retooling to become cup contenders again. Also sending Tanev to the east is a bonus. This way these two picks accelerate our rebuild, potentially bringing in another blue chip prospect. Although they currently sit 15th in the league just outside a lottery slot, Benning so far has had a keen eye for talent where little is to be found (Boeser, Tryamkin, Gaudette)  and hopefully dupe the critics who say its a weak year. The Canucks also get to protect one more key player, and get Zaitsev on a cheap soon to end contract. 

Toronto gets the defencive nudge they need to possibly make the playoffs, and Vancouver get good again that much faster. 

There was a proposal about a few weeks ago and the poster suggested we trade Tanev (picks) for their top prospect Kasperi Kapanen. Toronto could be our best trading partner. Lou would definitely do a trade like this. Now I don't think he'll trade his first rounder, but we can at least try and get a good prospect. 

Tanev would give Toronto stable top pairing D for years to come. Thats worth a #1 pick in 2017 and a roster player or excellent young prospect. Anything else just isn't worth it to us. I don't think we need to throw in Olson or the 4th. 

11 hours ago, Odd. said:

There was a proposal about a few weeks ago and the poster suggested we trade Tanev (picks) for their top prospect Kasperi Kapanen. Toronto could be our best trading partner. Lou would definitely do a trade like this. Now I don't think he'll trade his first rounder, but we can at least try and get a good prospect. 

Why give up Tanev for so little? If Tanev really is on the trading block teams should be trying to get him from us. The stats community considers him the best shot suppression D man in the league and the numbers do back that up. 

This is an interesting proposal.

Zaitsev, being expansion exempt is a reasonable option as partial return for Tanev.

The Leafs have Reilly and presumably Gardiner to protect, but beyond that pretty expendable pieces, so adding Tanev is viable.

Swapping in Kapanen for that pick is another possibility.

I'd hate to see Tanev in a Leafs uniform - he'd make them a whole lot better instantly - but if moving Edler doesn't pan out, something like this could be interesting.

5 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Tanev would give Toronto stable top pairing D for years to come. Thats worth a #1 pick in 2017 and a roster player or excellent young prospect. Anything else just isn't worth it to us. I don't think we need to throw in Olson or the 4th. 

Tanev has missed a fair amount of games every year and is injury prone. He also doesnt contribute offensively very much thats why i estimated his value a little lower. Also Toronto is a rebuilding team and I dont think theyre gonna be in a hurry to empty their rich prospect pool that they base their marketing and future on. Although proven roster player and the two picks might be feasible.

8 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

If we're trading Tanev, we should trade him for a proven young forward equivalent to that of Tanev if he were a forward in terms of impact on the ice. Basically like Nylander as Pears stated above, or maybe MIKAEL GRANLUND.

I dont think minnesota is gonna trade their #1 forward when they already have a solid blue line, although getting relatively young forwards is not a bad thought

9 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

If we're trading Tanev, we should trade him for a proven young forward equivalent to that of Tanev if he were a forward in terms of impact on the ice. Basically like Nylander as Pears stated above, or maybe MIKAEL GRANLUND.

I like the OP's proposal more than the forward options - (and imo I don't see why the Wild would move Granlund for a defenseman).

Think about our blueline with Tanev out of the RHD equation and Gudbranson injured long term.

If you want to see a lot more of Larsen, then great, your idea would accomplish that.

A Zaitsev (who is a RHD) and a forward prospect like Kapanen makes good sense for us imo.

31 minutes ago, ColeTr11 said:

Tanev has missed a fair amount of games every year and is injury prone. He also doesnt contribute offensively very much thats why i estimated his value a little lower. Also Toronto is a rebuilding team and I dont think theyre gonna be in a hurry to empty their rich prospect pool that they base their marketing and future on. Although proven roster player and the two picks might be feasible.

All that doesn't take away from the fact he's still one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL. 

42 minutes ago, ColeTr11 said:

I understand - not sure that he's "injury prone" though vs unlucky. Also Tanev and Rielly would make a heck of a good pairing for TO and probably take them into the playoffs. That would give Babcock a lot of room to work on the bottom D pairings and cut down on the number of goals against... no they would need to give up a lot for that. 

see this e.g.,:

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2016/8/16/12481256/the-top-20-defensemen-in-the-nhl-right-now-for-real

Chris Tanev is the best shutdown defenseman in the NHL. He's good at doing the defenseman things. His shot suppression prevents 0.3 goals per 60 RelTM compared to an average player. That's a ****ton. The next highest mark by a defenseman is Brian Campbell's 0.19. That's what us fancy math nerds call an "outlier". No one is in the same tier as Tanev when it comes to shot suppression.

Why is he rarely given credit for this? Part of it is the same as Klefbom. The Canucks are $&!# at defending as a group, so you don't really expect them to have a star shutdown defenseman. But they do. Here he is. Existing.

The downside is, well, everything else about him, really. He's kind of $&!# at generating offense, below average for a D. His point production is non existent. His PP production is pretty $&!#. He's a really great penalty killer, though, and he eats minutes like they're wonderful pieces of salt water taffy. But that raw 5 on 5 defense that he plays just makes up for so much.

Archived