The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in CHL UFA Darren Raddysh

I've always liked this kid and believe he can develop into solid NHLer one day. If not, he'd be a solid call up option from Utica and he can continue to develop and improve on his game if he's not quite where we expected him to be at. He has 81 points in 65 games with the Erie Otters and he also boasts some leadership qualities wearing the A the last couple of seasons. Hope that we sign this kid

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=205556

I would be very pleased if we got Raddysh. It would make me much more OK with some of the other more borderline players that we have recently spent contracts on. With all due respect to those players. 

29 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I've always liked this kid and believe he can develop into solid NHLer one day. If not, he'd be a solid call up option from Utica and he can continue to develop and improve on his game if he's not quite where we expected him to be at. He has 81 points in 65 games with the Erie Otters and he also boasts some leadership qualities wearing the A the last couple of seasons. Hope that we sign this kid

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=205556

Wow thats a very high pGPS. Would be great if Benning could sign him! Have a feeling were going to trade a couple D this summer. Hutton and Sbisa/Edler!

I don't know why we never practice asset-management.

For instance, Vancouver is a destination.  Hockey players want to come here far more than they want to go to Arizona or Columbus or Florida.  So, every year, we have an advantage with players such as this.  Just in the last couple years, we got Stecher and Loui literally dropped into our laps, just because they wanted to play here.  We shouldn't have gotten either.  They were willing to pass up all sorts of offers from better teams, because Vancouver was a destination.

Our team is extremely short on talent - but extremely high on potential.  NHL teams always overpay dramatically for potential (just look at what draft-picks are worth, way more than their expected-value).  So, if we were smart, every single year we'd be signing as many of these players we can get our hands on (up to the contract-limit, of course) - and later trading groups of them for better players.  For the kind of players we actually need (top-6 forwards, top-2 defensemen).  We don't need any more young players with potential.  That's practically our entire team as it is.  We've got enough of them already.  We need what we don't have:  dominant forwards and goal-scorers (not to mention a dominant d-man or two).  And, every year, we have the assets to get the players we need, but don't do it.  We fall in love with our players in this city.  We never, ever, ever trade anyone at the height of their value.  We always wait until it's way too late.

Archived