The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Partner with the Hunters

11 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Yeah, I don't get the lame GIF's either........

Hmm, just occurred to me that some people on this forum might be really young like pre-13 young (Insert obligatory pedophile joke)

That would explain a lot of things that happen around here (....and hilarious follow up to your totally original pedophile joke goes here)

Maybe the people here are young but y'know most adults act like 13 year olds when nobody holds them accountable.  And furthermore it shows a complete lack of originality (if someone has something to say, say it, but posting a lame picture thinking that that contributes something to the discussion is just that, lame).  GCG!

I dunno, but I'd be interested in poaching another of Dale Hunter's young players - Robert Thomas - in the upcoming draft.

If he's available with our 2nd....not sure who else will be (won't until the time), but he's a guy to keep an eye on for sure.

On 12/04/2017 at 10:19 AM, groovy said:

(First attempt to post :unsure:) I was thinking about the state of the club, with the youth-movement and the firing of WD. My view, (later shared by different Sportsnet etc analysts/ but by no means all) is that this team is really not about coaching. It is about personnel. We are going for a clearly stated youth-movement. Younger, faster. Maybe not not tougher, but that remains to be seen as the league and team develops. My thought really is IF the coach is semi-irrelevant at this stage in terms of winning, and the focus is DEVELOPMENT, why not look to partner up with the London Knights Hunter boys?

Proposal: Canucks become partners in London and with the window of youth development in Van have the Hunter boys agree to a two year stint behind the bench and in charge of development, or at least something in that vein. Great junior contacts long-term and proven developers, not to mention consummate NHL pros for mentorship/devlopment. THEN be ready to drop a bomb and pay for a proven coach as the club once again becomes competitive. Right now having a "Babcock" is money down the drain, plus we own half of London. Is it possible/logical?

Edit: getting flamed!!! It would have been great to be able to control an extra year in jr for Jake and Jarred rather than rush them. Thus the idea to have some weight in a great jr franchise.

I see what you're trying to do with this. People...the OP doesn't exactly know how junior hockey works. The Knights are not a farm club. They are a major junior team. The Utica Comets and the London Knights are not even in the same league.

Now that's out of the way, yes the London Knights are very good at developing players the right way to play in the NHL. They are pretty much can't miss.

Should we play it safe and pretty much only draft London Knights if it's unclear who the best player available is? Yes. 

If we draft someone who we think has alot of raw talent but isn't ready for the NHL or AHL (farm club league) and who isn't in a major junior league as of yet, should we try and hook them up with the London Knights if that's the direction the player wants their career to go? Yes (as long as Dale Hunter takes him.) This is the same sort for direction the Flames took with Mikael Backlund.

There are other places which are great for development as well. North Dakota comes to mind. *ahem* Boeser, Stetcher, Jost, Caggiula all out of the last 3-4 years or so.

Archived