The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Partner with the Hunters

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The Hunters aren't going to come here for peanuts and the coach's salary doesn't count against the cap. I don't really care what we pay our coach as it's not my money and Aqua-man has deep pockets when it comes to the Canucks. 

Again, why do we need a say in what happens in an OHL club?

Edit: getting flamed!!! It would have been great to be able to control an extra year in jr for Jake and Jarred rather than rush them. Thus the idea to have some weight in a great jr franchise. Does not need to be London, simply an example.

3 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

I think OP is thinking that we would of been able to move our prospects there like like Utica and Alaska but it doesn't work like that. 

Not really, but jr clubs make deals too.

Just now, groovy said:

Edit: getting flamed!!! It would have been great to be able to control an extra year in jr for Jake and Jarred rather than rush them. Thus the idea to have some weight in a great jr franchise. Does not need to be London, simply an example.

If you consider what I'm doing flaming....wow.....

Okay, since you don't seem to understand how players in the CHL work, If we had wanted to keep Virtanen and McCann in the CHL for another season, we totally could have. Once they're drafted it's up to the NHL club where they go, not their CHL team. 

Okay, since you don't seem to understand how players in the CHL work, If we had wanted to keep Virtanen and McCann in the CHL for another season, we totally could have. Once they're drafted it's up to the NHL club where they go, not their CHL team. 

I think he means having some control over who is coaching said team, as Jake was probably moved up because of the poor Hitmen organization.

No, you are not flaming, but I am being flamed. My point was to have some league influence WHERE that player spends an extra year in jr. Jake would learn nothing in Calgary so we wee forced to bring him up. That is what I mean. They make trades in jr too!

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Alf enjoys these funny gif things.  They are entertainment, which is what hockey is about, right?

Hide contents

(I do wish you wouldn't post pics of my mother-in-law though :lol:)

Haha, ya I figured I'd lighten the mood in a day where we are all a bit sour that we have nothing to watch on TV. Some people aren't liking it but I'm glad you are!

The Hunters aren't interested in selling the Knights and they certainly aren't interested in another party swooping in and taking control of their team and influencing their decision making.

The CHL also has rules regarding ownership so what you are suggesting could land a team into serious trouble and by that I mean fines and loss of draft picks. Just look what happened to Flint recently where interference of an owner resulted in a serious reprimand. What you are suggesting is simply not possible.

FLINT, MI - Ontario Hockey League commissioner David Branch has released his verdict today on Flint Firebirds owner Rolf Nilsen.

After a thorough investigation by Terrence O'Sullivan of the law firm of Lax O'Sullivan Lisus Gottlieb LLP, Branch has decided to suspend Nilsen from being involved directly or indirectly with hockey operations of the Firebirds for five years effective immediately.

He will also have to pay $250,000 fine to the league.

The Firebirds will also forfeit its third overall pick in the 2016 OHL Priority Selection.

"The OHL is pleased to announce that Joe Birch, who has led the Flint Firebirds hockey operations since February, 2016, will continue in his role as Director of Hockey Operations, with a General Manager, Head Coach, and additional hockey operations staff to be appointed in the near future," Branch said in a statement.

Branch enforced these arrangements after he determined his violations were contrary to the best interests of the players, the team, and the OHL.

Nilsen was originally suspended indefinitely in February after he fired the club's head coach John Gruden and assistant coach Dave Karpa for the second time this season.

His moves made international headlines after firing Gruden and his coaching staff back in early November, only to rehire them less than 24 hours later with new three-year contracts after the players quit in protest.

The Firebirds ended the 2015-16 campaign out of contention for the playoffs, finishing 10 points behind the Saginaw Spirit for the eighth and final playoff spot in the OHL's Western Conference.

Flint ended the year on a down note with a 5-3 loss Saturday, March 19 against the Guelph Storm.

If it is determined by the OHL that Nilsen has violated his orders, he may be forced to sell 100 percent of the ownership, according to Branch.

After three years, Nilsen can apply for reinstatement to participate in hockey operations of the Flint Firebirds but during his probation period, the Firebirds will be under the supervision and direction of Branch.

"I would like to acknowledge the outstanding commitment demonstrated by all Flint Firebirds players, families, and billets during the 2015-16 OHL season," Branch said. "I would also like to thank the passionate Flint Firebirds fans for their continued support of the team and the OHL.

"The League truly appreciates Flint and Genesee County and the efforts made by many to create a positive environment for our players," he continued.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2016/04/flint_firebirds_owner_rolf_nil.html

Nilsen had his son on the team at the time and the OHL warned him against interference in the club's decision making. There are some crazy parents that will buy a CHL franchise just to give their kids a leg up over the competition. That isn't going to be permitted and neither will this.

Are you implying we partner a CHL club in London Knights? I don't quite get what the benefit would be if I'm to be honest. It won't change what we can and cannot do with the CHL. I can't even think of anything it would change.

The CHL does not work the same as the AHL or the ECHL. The CHL is a league where we draft players; thus, we have to follow the rules.

I understand wanting to think outside the box, but I think you opened the wrong side of the box out. ;)

31 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Haha, ya I figured I'd lighten the mood in a day where we are all a bit sour that we have nothing to watch on TV. Some people aren't liking it but I'm glad you are!

I hear Saskatchewan is a great place to be from!

33 minutes ago, groovy said:

No, you are not flaming, but I am being flamed. My point was to have some league influence WHERE that player spends an extra year in jr. Jake would learn nothing in Calgary so we wee forced to bring him up. That is what I mean. They make trades in jr too!

Like @Toews just posted, there are many rules in the CHL preventing exactly what you're proposing. Even if the Canucks were part owners of the the Knights, they can't force the Knights to trade for their prospects - or force the other teams to make those trades.

8 minutes ago, groovy said:

Please indulge us with your wisdom. Anybody can be a smart ass. (including me :P)

It's simple groovy. Your idea was bad in all ways. The benefit is minimal, it's logistically impractical, and against CHL regulations. Your refusal to accept these basic statement shows your immaturity. I sincerely hope you are a child, otherwise just wow. There is only one cure for this cancer. Blocked. I suggest others follow suit.

46 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I'll just say my opinion about it. I understand there are good intentions behind it, but I don't think it needs to be posted everywhere. It's alright to see it once, but I kept opening up new threads to see the same picture posted. That's where it gets annoying. It's not the posting of a pic that's the problem, it's the "chronic continuously posting pictures disorder" that's the problem. ;)

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I'll just say my opinion about it. I understand there are good intentions behind it, but I don't think it needs to be posted everywhere. It's alright to see it once, but I kept opening up new threads to see the same picture posted. That's where it gets annoying. It's not the posting of a pic that's the problem, it's the "chronic continuously posting pictures disorder" that's the problem. ;)

Savage. The wink that really means, you stupid piece of $#!7... #PassiveAggressive #SavageForumPosts #OffseasonOfCancer #IApprove

Archived