The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Krueger for Head Coach

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Florida would be a perfect fit for Q. Plus there is a relationship with Tallon already. Their roster screams his style though. 

LA would very likely pass over Stevens with no hesitation to get Q.

I also think other teams would have lots of interest, even possibly firing a good coach to get him.

What kind of teams would fire their coach though to get him? Can't think of many off the top of my head...

CBJ maybe? Islanders?

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Canucks Army's early take on the Krueger rumours:

Friedman: Canucks interested in Ralph Krueger for vacant Head Coaching job

APRIL 17, 2017, 10:32 PM | JACOB STOLLER

The Canucks search for a new head coach just got a bit more interesting.

It’s interesting to hear Ralph Kruger’s name get mentioned as the former Oilers coach has been serving as the director and the chairman of the Primer League Soccer team Southhampton F.C.

But despite Krueger’s newfound profession, it’s hard to ignore the work he’s done in his almost 20 years of hockey coaching.

For example, Krueger’s one year of NHL coaching experience was with the Oilers during the lockout-shortened 2012-2013 season. The Oilers finished 10 pts away from a playoff spot, and while that’s no accomplishment, it was a step in the right direction for an Oilers team that finished with the second-worst record in the entire league the year prior. Despite the progression Krueger and the Oilers displayed, Edmonton decided to dismiss Kruger, which made headlines due to the dismissal taking place over Skype.

Krueger’s latest success story was this past fall at the World Cup of Hockey. Krueger was the mastermind behind Team Europe finishing second in the tournament. Many analysts pegged Team Europe finishing near the bottom of the standings, yet Europe played spoiler throughout the tournament, which many credit Krueger for.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if someone called him,” Team Europe forward Frans Nielsen told USA today back in September. “I think they should. He showed how smart he is. He sees what kind of players and potential he has on his team and he builds his system around that. I’m sure he would play a little differently if he was coaching Canada.”

Barring any major transactions this offseason, the Canucks likely project to finish no higher or lower than they did this season. Despite this, Canucks management continues to push for instant results, rather than a patient rebuilding approach. With that in mind, if the Canucks are looking for someone that can elevate an underdog team;

Krueger could be that guy.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/17/friedman-canucks-interested-in-ralph-krueger-for-vacant-head-coaching-job/

Looks like C'army' just added another kid story-and-fortune teller.

They need an editor wadr - letting this uncritical crap go to print doesn't help them build any credibility.

The vast majority of what they publish has this emo tone - that just can't be taken seriously.

Their reported interest in Krueger would constitute a 'continued push for instant results'?   Wadr, what a dumb assumption/conclusion.

The idea that 'major transactions' would be necessary to uptick their performance has obvious contradictions - first, what instant results are they continuing to push for? (reality wrecks the author's premise).   It ignores how much the organization has already rebuilt - and will be adding and re-adding from within - to a lineup that finished the season with 4 of 12 forwards.  That may have had a small impact on the utter collapse at season's end.  But hey, context is utterly irrelevant in modern media.  It's the slant of storytellers that really matters.

The 'rebuild' has already involved turning over 19 of 23 roster spots.  These 'army' kids continue to publish with their heads in the sand, protesting a lack of a rebuild - while utterly oblivious.  Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that there won't be 'major transactions' - geared towards instant results -  and if there are transactions, it's likely to be yet another rebuild move along the lines of dealing Edler (or Sbisa) for futures / expansion ineligible assets - if at all possible.

I think there's more willful blindness on the part of the author than there is evidence of 'impatience' with the management group.

If the author listened to a word Linden has said, he'd have a far clearer idea what the mandate of the next coach is.

Regardless, whatever coach they select, it won't change the fact that they've spent three years remaking the franchise - and certainly doesn't indicate prioritizing short term results.  How exactly would hiring Krueger indicate that?   It's unfortunate that such a significant portion of the media can be so oblivious - but the Vancouver media has so many of these footsteps to follow in.

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

What kind of teams would fire their coach though to get him? Can't think of many off the top of my head...

CBJ maybe? Islanders?

It might be a long shot but I could see Minnesota making that move. Possibly Anaheim too although unlikely. Buffalo, Colorado, and Winnipeg for sure if he would go there. 

After reading some articles I would say he could be a good fit. He seems like the kind of person who would be willing to work with management. Winning is important but developing our youth is the most important aspect.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Looks like C'army' just added another kid story-and-fortune teller.

They need an editor wadr - letting this uncritical crap go to print doesn't help them build any credibility.

The vast majority of what they publish has this emo tone - that just can't be taken seriously.

Their reported interest in Krueger would constitute a 'continued push for instant results'?   Wadr, what a dumb assumption/conclusion.

The idea that 'major transactions' would be necessary to uptick their performance has obvious contradictions - first, what instant results are they continuing to push for? (reality wrecks the author's premise).   It ignores how much the organization has already rebuilt - and will be adding and re-adding from within - to a lineup that finished the season with 4 of 12 forwards.  That may have had a small impact on the utter collapse at season's end.  But hey, context is utterly irrelevant in modern media.  It's the slant of storytellers that really matters.

The 'rebuild' has already involved turning over 19 of 23 roster spots.  These 'army' kids continue to publish with their heads in the sand, protesting a lack of a rebuild - while utterly oblivious.  Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that there won't be 'major transactions' - geared towards instant results -  and if there are transactions, it's likely to be yet another rebuild move along the lines of dealing Edler (or Sbisa) for futures / expansion ineligible assets - if at all possible.

I think there's more willful blindness on the part of the author than there is evidence of 'impatience' with the management group.

If the author listened to a word Linden has said, he'd have a far clearer idea what the mandate of the next coach is.

Regardless, whatever coach they select, it won't change the fact that they've spent three years remaking the franchise - and certainly doesn't indicate prioritizing short term results.   It's unfortunate that such a significant portion of the media can be so oblivious - but the Vancouver media has so many of these footsteps to follow in.

Canucks Army is truly the worst of the lot. I'd rather read an article on HockeyBuzz or the Canuck Way before sitting down and digesting the fecal matter that J.D Burke and idiots publish every week.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

It might be a long shot but I could see Minnesota making that move. Possibly Anaheim too although unlikely. Buffalo, Colorado, and Winnipeg for sure if he would go there. 

That's the thing I think Q wants to win and isn't wanting to wait for a young team to show it is competitive.

FLA is the best fit too imo. They have the #1 D Ekblad and young towards to be a perennial playoff team.

Plus the weather is nice and taxes are less.

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

That's the thing I think Q wants to win and isn't wanting to wait for a young team to show it is competitive.

FLA is the best fit too imo. They have the #1 D Ekblad and young towards to be a perennial playoff team.

Plus the weather is nice and taxes are less.

And the relationship and familiarity with Q and Tallon. 

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Quenneville is let go, I'd hope that Linden/Benning would go hard after him. With a vengeance. While this team may not look like the most exciting team to coach, I could see Quenneville being interested in the challenge. 

I think the idea of Quenneville being fired is an utter pipe dream however.

He has term left on his deal with Chicago - signed for three years last January (2016).  I'd be utterly shocked if they let him go - and were that the case, he'd be in as much or more demand than Babcock (would likely take a similar, ridiculous contract to bring him on board).

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that firing Quenneville aint gonna happen.  If Chicago made decisions based on two weeks of results, they wouldn't be the franchise they are much longer.  They've cycled through playoff failures before.  That said - I hope they do lose a screw and fire him (I just have little illusion of that happening).

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Canucks Army is truly the worst of the lot. I'd rather read an article on HockeyBuzz or the Canuck Way before sitting down and digesting the fecal matter that J.D Burke and idiots publish every week.

I try not to read their stuff. My IQ is already taking age related hits, I don't need to accelerate the IQ drop reading stuff that doesn't even make sense and completely ignores the actual situation and lacks any context. I can better use that 5 minutes I think.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

He has term left on his deal with Chicago - signed for three years last January (2016).  I'd be utterly shocked if they let him go - and were that the case, he'd be in as much or more demand than Babcock (would likely take a similar, ridiculous contract to bring him on board).

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that firing Quenneville aint gonna happen.  If Chicago made decisions based on two weeks of results, they wouldn't be the franchise they are much longer.  They've cycled through playoff failures before.  That said - I hope they do fire him (I just have little illusion of that happening).

I know what you mean. It's going to be a long offseason.

I try not to read their stuff. My IQ is already taking age related hits, I don't need to accelerate the IQ drop reading stuff that doesn't even make sense and completely ignores the actual situation and lacks any context. I can better use that 5 minutes I think.

Same. I usually pass over it unless I really have nothing better to do. If I can find a wall to stare blankly at, I'll take it.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that firing Quenneville aint gonna happen.  If Chicago made decisions based on two weeks of results, they wouldn't be the franchise they are much longer.  They've cycled through playoff failures before.  That said - I hope they do fire him (I just have little illusion of that happening).

I agree. It's a possibility (because getting hit by a meteor while getting struck by lightning during a bus crash is mathematically possible). Doesn't mean it's going to happen though.

You are right that Bowman is not an idiot who will jettison Q especially with no better option to replace him with. It's amazing to me that the Hawks stay competitive every year with the amount of turnover they are forced into and the young guys they bring in and get the most out of. Every time they trade a relatively key guy I feel like they will weaken themselves. Then the new guy or guys steps in and fits like a glove. It's actually almost infuriating lol

I think Krueger is another perfect bridge coach, much like Green. He's gonna stress details and fundamentals and mindset before actual Wins and Losses. 

I think the next 2 years will have a huge impact on how good this team is 4 years from now. Once these guys learn what it takes to win, we can bring in a Crawford, or Joel Q type of coach who will then push them to go from being a good team to a great team.

Is Green a Willie clone?

Linden said they want someone who is willing to play an up tempo game. Structured but up tempo. The style that was implemented by our coaching staff this year was so hard to watch. As we see players with more skill arrive it would be nice to see a more entertaining style played. I would rather see a loss where we scored several goals. I can watch paint dry at home.

I agree. It's a possibility (because getting hit by a meteor while getting struck by lightning during a bus crash is mathematically possible.

You are right that Bowman is not an idiot who will jettison Q especially with no better option to replace him with. It's amazing to me that the Hawks stay competitive every year with the amount of turnover they are forced into and the young guys they bring in and get the most out of. Every time they trade a relatively key guy I feel like tgeyvwill weaken themselves. Then the new guy or guys steps in and fits like a glove. It's actually almost infuriating lol

bowman.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Scotty Bowman said (paraphrasing) that if you want to be successful you better be willing to adapt. 

The Hawks are one of the most adaptable franchises around and Q has an uncanny ability to integrate players into the right roles. He has the benefit of a strong core group but he has done a great job.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I agree. It's a possibility (because getting hit by a meteor while getting struck by lightning during a bus crash is mathematically possible). Doesn't mean it's going to happen though.

You are right that Bowman is not an idiot who will jettison Q especially with no better option to replace him with. It's amazing to me that the Hawks stay competitive every year with the amount of turnover they are forced into and the young guys they bring in and get the most out of. Every time they trade a relatively key guy I feel like they will weaken themselves. Then the new guy or guys steps in and fits like a glove. It's actually almost infuriating lol

Yep - and I'd love to see them get swept - but I'll believe it when I see it.

Until then, Nashville still has to win the elimination game.

Just now, oldnews said:

Yep - and I'd love to see them get swept - but I'll believe it when I see it.

Until then, Nashville still has to win the elimination game.

As we know, there is no panic and no quit in the Hawks. Nashville has a long way left to go. Knocking the Hawks down is nothing compared to killing them when they are down.

Archived