The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Salvaging the lottery

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Please, explain,  how does his game lack high end skill?  He's able to produce 1.25 ppg in the ohl at 17, while being the youngest player on his team...He's not a pure offensive talent but neither is Kopitar, Toews, Getzlaf, Bergeron.

Eye test just doesn't impress me at all. 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think you did, It's a 2 minute video, your reply was a minute after.  

Either way,  i don't know what your expecting from a 17 year old, it's like you're needing a career collage of bure.

I've seen the video before though.  I see a guy who physically matured early and is using that to his benefit.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I've seen the video before though.  I see a guy who physically matured early and is using that to his benefit.

He's 17, a full year younger than everyone in his draft class???

He's not even bigger than the kids he plays against, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.  

Either way I'll take every scouting agency in the world over your eye test any day.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's 17, a full year younger than everyone in his draft class???

He's not even bigger than the kids he plays against, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.  

Either way I'll take every scouting agency in the world over your eye test any day.

And I called out PLD for the same reason last year.  Not sure if you watched the WJHC, but he was a steaming pile of garbage out there for us.  Vilardi's the most overrated player in this draft.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And I called out PLD for the same reason last year.  Not sure if you watched the WJHC, but he was a steaming pile of garbage out there for us.  Vilardi's the most overrated player in this draft.

Well vilardi didn't play in the WJHC, and second, you're really going to base 6 games a player has as a 19 year old and use that as the determine factor for the rest of a players 15+ NHL career?

Horvat also didn't have a good WJHC and how did he turn out?

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Well vilardi didn't play in the WJHC, and second, you're really going to base 6 games a player has as a 19 year old and use that as the determine factor for the rest of a players 15+ NHL career?

I put a ton of value on that tournament.  For a guy to be that bad, it's a bad sign.  I see a lot of similarities between Vilardi and PLD so I'm a little concerned.  At 10, Vilardi's worth the risk.  Foote's  going to be a rock for someone defensively and has potential to be better offensively than his old man.

Horvat looked pretty good with Reinhart on the PP during the WJHC.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I put a ton of value on that tournament.  For a guy to be that bad, it's a bad sign.  I see a lot of similarities between Vilardi and PLD so I'm a little concerned.  At 10, Vilardi's worth the risk.  Foote's  going to be a rock for someone defensively and has potential to be better offensively than his old man.

Horvat didn't have a good WJHC.  How did he turn out?

You might need to get your eyes checked.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Horvat didn't have a good WJHC.  How did he turn out?

You might need to get your eyes checked.

I wouldn't mind Vilardi.

His coach and teammates are really high on him.

What sets Gabe Vilardi apart is that he’s an advanced stats darling. According to Windsor coach Rocky Thompson, who tracks advanced stats, Vilardi is “the engine on this team because whoever plays with him, their Corsi numbers go straight up and are increased.” "Without him, they drop significantly. We've had a ton of injuries this year so it's been a revolving door with our lines but the one common theme has been Vilardi's ability to make the players with him even better."

Indeed, Thompson notes that said stats tend to drop off when they’re not playing with Gabe. The coach credits Vilardi with making his teammates “even better.”

"He's so well-rounded and smart," Thompson said. "He's extremely coachable; you can make adjustments in-game and change systems and he can adapt to those things because his hockey sense on the ice is very apparent."

"He's the most hard-working guy I've ever been around," Windsor goaltender Michael DiPietro said. "All he wants to do is be a hockey player and everything he does is centered around the game. That's something I admire about him."

Sounds like someone we got.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Watched it.  Still not impressed.

Me too. At first, I thought it was the skating. But everyone kept bringing up the fact that Bo wasn't a great skater and has improved every year. I just watched Bo's junior highlights and realized that it wasn't skating that concerned me about Vilardi - it was that he had no explosive first step whereas Bo did. Bo was just raw. In other words, my concern with Vilardi is actually athletic ability. Supposedly, his parents have been putting him in for one training after another since their kids were very young. Imho, that makes it even more concerning. If we do get Vilardi, I'd love to be wrong about my assessment.

2 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Me too. At first, I thought it was the skating. But everyone kept bringing up the fact that Bo wasn't a great skater and has improved every year. I just watched Bo's junior highlights and realized that it wasn't skating that concerned me about Vilardi - it was that he had no explosive first step whereas Bo did. Bo was just raw. In other words, my concern with Vilardi is actually athletic ability. Supposedly, his parents have been putting him in for one training after another since their kids were very young. Imho, that makes it even more concerning. If we do get Vilardi, I'd love to be wrong about my assessment.

Apparently he has been making strides and is a lot better of a skater than he was last year. He is being touted as a hardworking, well rounded puck-possession type forward. The commitment to improve is there and progress is being made. Nonetheless if we do end up picking he will have more time to improve upon it since I would expect him to be back at Windsor next season regardless of which NHL team picks him.

If he fell to us then I would love to pick him up or even Middlestadt for that matter. I think those two are going to go 3/4 though.

We need another first rounder after the garbage luck today.

I'd say revisit Tanev to Dallas. Tanev for Dallas' first and Lehtonen. Let Miller go; Markstrom starts. We help Dallas solve their goalie problem and get the high pick for our trouble. Then draft Heiskanen and Mittelstadt.

Otherwise, send Tanev to Toronto for their first and Kapanen.

Archived