The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia: California Dreaming [Mafia Win!!]

T-rex930

51 minutes ago, Master Radishes said:

Proposal 4 - At the end of every round, everyone lists a 'Sheriff investigation' they supposedly made. The real Sheriff can then sneak in their own real investigation, and should they die, the TP can then look back and use the info. (Downside: as the kill flips only show 'Special' we may not know if the Sheriff died, or if it was another Special.)

Any thoughts?

If everyone lists an investigation, how do they reveal that?

Any investigation listing a TP, who the mafia would know is or isn't, would help narrow down the Sheriff for them.

If all listed their investigation as mafia, wouldn't that do the same for the scum?

Wouldn't it be simpler just to have the Sheriff retain all of his investigation results until he has 2 or 3 mafia named, then present that in the thread when he claims and have the Doctor save him. Name all investigative results at that point so the town would know TP and scum. The only risk to us is if the mafia luck out on their kill. That is something we face anyway.

1 hour ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Proposal 1: No

Proposal 2: No

Quick dismissal of the two least controversial proposals. Why shouldn't the Vig follow Town consensus as opposed to blind shooting? Why shouldn't the Doc save an active player in a game where, with no PMs, keeping this thread active is absolutely crucial?

1 hour ago, JAY JAY said:

Proposal 1 - I've always felt the Vig should refrain from a first round kill. How would you define TP consent?

Proposal 2 - The problem as I see this is:

(1) The mafia will have their own strategy and might not play out as we might think.

(2) Will this make one or more mafia become active so as to appear towny.

P1 - I agree. And I think TP consensus is fairly easy to recognise when it's available.

P2 - You make it sound like the mafia are grand schemers. They're just going to hunt for specials and, if unsure, take out a vocal TP they find dangerous. I don't see why the Doc shouldn't save the active players and force the scum to take out the quiet (and unhelpful) TP instead.

1 hour ago, JAY JAY said:

If everyone lists an investigation, how do they reveal that?

Any investigation listing a TP, who the mafia would know is or isn't, would help narrow down the Sheriff for them.

If all listed their investigation as mafia, wouldn't that do the same for the scum?

Wouldn't it be simpler just to have the Sheriff retain all of his investigation results until he has 2 or 3 mafia named, then present that in the thread when he claims and have the Doctor save him. Name all investigative results at that point so the town would know TP and scum. The only risk to us is if the mafia luck out on their kill. That is something we face anyway.

Of course some 'investigations' will inform the mafia who is not the Sheriff, but it's a numbers game - with enough of us doing it, it will still keep the Sheriff's identity secret.

Odds are the Sheriff will die sooner rather than later. I don't think they should 'hold on' to names past R2 (R3 if there are no extra killing roles).

To be honest, I don't like the idea. I know it's been used before (we stole the idea from other Mafia sites) but I don't think it works in this format. I threw it out there to raise discussion.

I think I caught a fish.

2 hours ago, Armbar said:

DM is eccentric to say the least.

I didn't vote you for the big space, read again.

He's also really picking at joke/non-serious posts.

Isn't it possible that proposal 4 helps narrow down potential sheriffs for the Mafia kill?

This tone of post is not vintage Armbar. He's fishing for someone to pick up on the DM vote, poking a few holes but refusing to commit a vote. (Normally he barely needs a reason to cast a vote.) And that last line reads exactly like a mafia trying to act innocent. TP-Armbar doesn't speculate; he asserts. This is not assertive.

Vote Armbar

4 minutes ago, Master Radishes said:

Quick dismissal of the two least controversial proposals. Why shouldn't the Vig follow Town consensus as opposed to blind shooting? Why shouldn't the Doc save an active player in a game where, with no PMs, keeping this thread active is absolutely crucial?

Because "Town Consensus" can be deceiving and not foolproof. Vig can and should target whoever THEY suspect, not the voice majority.

Because active player =/= TP. There is handful of people here who are active regardless of their faction.

Just now, Blue Jay 22 said:

Because "Town Consensus" can be deceiving and not foolproof. Vig can and should target whoever THEY suspect, not the voice majority.

Because active player =/= TP. There is handful of people here who are active regardless of their faction.

What makes the Vig any smarter than the Town consensus?

I'm aware scum will be active, but that's actually a good thing. Active scum are trying extra hard to blend in, and they will slip up. Quiet TP, however, are not helping, will draw unnecessary attention later, and by creating a space for lurking will encourage mafia to lurk as well. If we, as a Town, say "Doc, pick an active player and save them" then the mafia think "well poop, if we target Player A or Player B we risk missing, so we'll need to choose someone less active", which leads them to pick a quieter player, which gives them less space to hide and allows our active Townies to survive longer.

I don't have much as far as hunches. 
The one that has stuck out to me was Otherwise. Honestly a weird one i'm sure. Both of her posts just came off a mafia blending in. 
Not willing to act on this hunch but just on my radar. 

Going to go with MR for the first round at least. 

He's active and helpful currently. Yes he does this as a Mafia and as TP but I have a good feeling. 

Vote Armbar

3 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

Proposal 1 - Vig doesn't kill without TP consent.

Proposal 2 - For R1, and if in doubt thereafter, the Doc protects a talkative player. Not saying it has to be me, by any means, but we're trying to bluff the mafia, and it will force them to take out a quiet player who hasn't been helping the TP. Either that or they gamble on their kill being saved.

Proposal 3 - If there is a Vig or TB (i.e. low-level special), maybe they should reveal? Then the Doc can save them, forcing the mafia to to leave them alone and hunt for the Doc first.

Proposal 4 - At the end of every round, everyone lists a 'Sheriff investigation' they supposedly made. The real Sheriff can then sneak in their own real investigation, and should they die, the TP can then look back and use the info. (Downside: as the kill flips only show 'Special' we may not know if the Sheriff died, or if it was another Special.)

Any thoughts?

Just wanted to posts my thoughts.

1) I'm personally not on board. I'd rather the Vig just be cautious and follow their gut. AFTER the 1st round preferably.

The mafia being in contact when no TP are scares me. They have an opportunity to set a plan on how they'd want to try and convince the Vig at this point.

2) I agree with this. Until a special comes out, saving an active helpful person would be ideal.

3) TB is usually ideal. But I think the Sheriff coming out would almost be better. Then they can be saved each round and provide their investigations.

This also creates a guessing game for the mafia. Do they go after the Sheriff, their investigations (if a TP or Special) or go off the board.

4) This fall under the same as #1 for me. I don't like that the Mafia would be able to plan out something in PM. 
It is true this could lead to a mafia slip up. 

5 minutes ago, HashtagNucks said:

They have an opportunity to set a plan on how they'd want to try and convince the Vig at this point.

I think we give the mafia too much credit. They always try to not act together publicly, so stuffing the 'who the Vig should kill' discussion would look conspicuous.

But I like your thoughts. You go in my green pile.

4 minutes ago, Master Radishes said:

I think we give the mafia too much credit. They always try to not act together publicly, so stuffing the 'who the Vig should kill' discussion would look conspicuous.

But I like your thoughts. You go in my green pile.

Convenient since I voted with you :P

43 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I find this part strange because you make it sound like the Vigs choice is foolproof.

Based on past games, the Vig hasn't made good choices and frequently kills a TP.

If the mafia were able to give a strong voice to the consensus, wouldn't they try to influence a TP death?

In doing so wouldn't they risk themselves being discovered as we would look at those who chose a TP as a target?

At least the vocal ones or those who tried to make a change to the consensus.

The worst part of the town deciding the Vigs kill I think, is how similar to a wagon forming it is.

Mafia join wagons or start them and hide in the numbers of TP that are in/on that wagon.

I would like to see everyone name their choice for the Vig to kill.

Vig makes his kill and maybe we get to see how those picks relate to the actual faction of the killed.

Are we waiting until the 2nd round to come to a consensus? I'm for that.

1 minute ago, JAY JAY said:

Is the Doctors restriction only to his two self saves or is there a back to back restriction?

I'll go look.

The only restriction on the Doctor is to his two self saves in the game.

Conceivably then, the Doctor can save the Sheriff every round.

1 hour ago, Master Radishes said:

I think I caught a fish.

This tone of post is not vintage Armbar. He's fishing for someone to pick up on the DM vote, poking a few holes but refusing to commit a vote. (Normally he barely needs a reason to cast a vote.) And that last line reads exactly like a mafia trying to act innocent. TP-Armbar doesn't speculate; he asserts. This is not assertive.

Vote Armbar

Except that I already voted DM

10 minutes ago, JAY JAY said:

MR's proposals remind me of BW's plan from the last game.

The Mafia didn't express much in the way of an opinion, or didn't acknowledge it at all.

I agree with this, I looked back and the 2 that actually showed up in thread gave it a "yeah sounds cool, some negatives but it's okay" type of response.

Just now, JAY JAY said:

You don't like being a Special if I remember correctly.

Thread action is where it's at. Last match I was a special and didn't even have to break a sweat.

Archived