The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Another tanev trade

The bolts need to go all in while they can.

Trading Drouin for a top shutdown damn  (tanev) while dumping cap (Callahan or garrison) I'm guessing they would want to swap picks also which is doable as we can draft a center next year as we will probably pick high again. This trade might hurt for a bit with Callahan stupid cap but worth it in the long run. 

The Bolts already proved this year they aren't interested in going all in.  They prefer to make incremental changes to keep them near the top of the heap.

Look at the Bishop trade.  Instead of picking up rentals for a playoff run, they shipped off Bishop for a prospect and a swap of picks.  While they may want to dump cap, it will be to keep Drouin, not to trade him.

5 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

The Bolts already proved this year they aren't interested in going all in.  They prefer to make incremental changes to keep them near the top of the heap.

Look at the Bishop trade.  Instead of picking up rentals for a playoff run, they shipped off Bishop for a prospect and a swap of picks.  While they may want to dump cap, it will be to keep Drouin, not to trade him.

They didnt go all in because of injuries to star players but they can't afford to do this again, they need cap space to sign players, they need to choose who they can sign and who will bring In more from a trade (drouin)

Canucks are thin at RHD. They have Tanev, Gudbranson, Stecher, Biega and Subban. If they trade Tanev, they'll need to fill that spot. I think if the Canucks draft a RHD (Liljegren or Makar), then Tanev may be on the move. Until then, I can't see them trading away their best D. 

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks are thin at RHD. They have Tanev, Gudbranson, Stecher, Biega and Subban. If they trade Tanev, they'll need to fill that spot. I think if the Canucks draft a RHD (Liljegren or Makar), then Tanev may be on the move. Until then, I can't see them trading away their best D. 

As we are rebuilding, trading tanev makes sense. We can always fill his spot with a free agent.

6 minutes ago, Nucksfan3322 said:

As we are rebuilding, trading tanev makes sense. We can always fill his spot with a free agent.

This is not directed at you, but I do see this posted quite a bit about filling Tanev/Edler/whoever's spot with a free agent after a trade; however doesn't this mean that the other team could just sign the free agent  and not trade for Tanev/Edler/whoever?

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Stecher will do it.

44 minutes ago, gurn said:

This is not directed at you, but I do see this posted quite a bit about filling Tanev/Edler/whoever's spot with a free agent after a trade; however doesn't this mean that the other team could just sign the free agent  and not trade for Tanev/Edler/whoever?

In my mind tanev is better than what you can get in FA and also cheaper which is huge for Tampa, I'm not saying that whomever we get will replace tanevs ability I'm just saying we can fill that hole without rushing one of our youngsters.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love Tanev, and maybe we should just keep him?

If we can't get anything of fair value I'm all for keeping him, having him on either stetch or huttons line is still going to be good and keep us in games even if we don't win many.

Tampa was trying to acquire Shattenkirk at the TDL because they have been looking for ages for a right-handed PMD but he was not willing to sign an extension with them so the deal fell apart.  Tanev and Shattenkirk are very different defenders - if they are looking for offence Tanev is probably not a target.

1 hour ago, Nucksfan3322 said:

If we can't get anything of fair value I'm all for keeping him, having him on either stetch or huttons line is still going to be good and keep us in games even if we don't win many.

Well, tossing him away for just the sake of a trade would be way bad.  I like your idea of Tanev with Hutton.  Maybe he plays with Juiolevi too?

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well, tossing him away for just the sake of a trade would be way bad.  I like your idea of Tanev with Hutton.  Maybe he plays with Juiolevi too?

Will never be for nothing, he's just our best trade chip and it's fun to fantasize about the return. I'm hoping juolevi makes the jump and plays well. 

Archived