The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabres name Phil Housley head coach

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Housley's defencemen in Nashville loved him and said that he taught them a lot.  He's paid his coaching dues.  I'm actually more concerned with his plans for the Sabres' young offence.  I hope he gets a very good assistant that can help with that aspect.

Changes coaches might not be what's most needed.  Sometimes the players (forwards) are too interested in getting stats, rather than winning games.  For myself I'm shocked a team with ROR wouldn't have every forward committed to a 200 foot game.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Changes coaches might not be what's most needed.  Sometimes the players (forwards) are too interested in getting stats, rather than winning games.  For myself I'm shocked a team with ROR wouldn't have every forward committed to a 200 foot game.  

That wasn't the Sabres' problem with their forwards.  The problem is that their top 6 is full of excellent players but the bottom 6 aren't very good.  They compete against other teams with only 2 good lines and a poor defence.  That does not make a winning team.

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Phil Housley says he is prepared to handle Jack Eichel after dealing with PK Subban.

"It's a culture. You have to build the foundation, set the standards"

If that means that he can push Eichel to get the most out of him then look out!

I remember being grumpy as, when my hometown Jets traded superstar "Ducky"Dale Hawerchuck for Housley.  

The move turned out fine. He was a good / great player. All though the Jets never went anywhere with Phil? And later ob left town.  Leaving me to root for our Canucks!  :towel:

I suspect the Sabres will have a better course. He's done well in several stops during his coaching career.   Including team USA.  I think he will be a great coach.  

Archived