The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Puck 2017/18

53 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Still think this league would be better if we capped games played (82 games x 18 skaters; + 82 games x 1 goalie). Wouldn't be so much hoarding of depth players.

I've been actively shopping my depth for months. No one seems to want them because they're not big name players.

The reality of it though is that those are the kind of players you win with, since they produce almost at the same FP/G, but at a fraction of the cap.

As for SV, I think it's inevitable he'll take a step back next year - just look at his expiring contracts. Sure he'll still undoubtedly make the playoffs, but a Presidents Trophy might be out of reach.

5 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Max call ups per week works well. I think that is what most leagues have. (Or max pickups/drops in Yahoo leagues). That way it rewards attentive, active GMs, and encourages depth. But not to an infinite degree that stifles competition. 

As mentioned though, I don't know if that plays nicely with Fantrax. And it's a tricky proposition to change rules in a way that hurts someone's roster. 

i guess no changes during the season .. thats fine ...and we should include shots on goal  :ph34r:

Whether or not SV is better or not next year is kinda immaterial - the question is whether someone with great waiver depth should be able to get 50% more man games than someone who sets a complete NHL roster and forgets about it. I think the answer to that is no. 

There are ways to cap it. a hard cap makes everyone equal - I don;t really like that. a call ups per week just limits it - maybe the attentive GM gets 10% more man games - solid, but not such a strong forcer than it takes over the league.

We also suddenly have Detroit in the Metropol, Carolina in the Atlantic?  Because several teams in the Metropol were doing a great job and it was competitive. CBJ was a beneficiary, among others.

We cant, shouldnt have done that either, alter the rules every time some guys play the game better than others. Just my opinion.

I don't know about you guys, but for me it was all about playoff assets. Who cares if you finish 1st or 8th as long as you're in. Once you're in, it's about playoff assets. 

It's why the Stepan and Eberle trades were gut punches to my chances at a repeat...

12 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

And on any given night he only gets 1 goalie, 6 NHL D, 12 forwards. Same as the NHL. If anything more restrictively than the NHL. Here guys only get leeway to play out of position if multi registered.  Same as everybody.

The logic here doesn't work. An NHL team has a cap on the number of games they can play every year, they only play any given night.  But in this league, you play EVERY given night. So you can play more as many games as you want, as a chance to earn more points, by having more NHL quality players.

If your AHL team is full of NHL depth, you can't make them play extra games against an NHL team to earn more standings points.

4 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

i guess no changes during the season .. thats fine ...and we should include shots on goal  :ph34r:

Yea it wouldn't be fair to make changes mid season haha. If there's enough demand, we are always open to review our rules and find ways to better the league.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We also suddenly have Detroit in the Metropol, Carolina in the Atlantic?  Because several teams in the Metropol were doing a great job and it was competitive. CBJ was a beneficiary, among others.

We cant, shouldnt have done that either, alter the rules every time some guys play the game better than others. Just my opinion.

That was done early in the summer if I'm not mistaken. While the Atlantic teams certainly won't like having Carolina in the division, it was a necessary move. 5 of the top 10 teams last year from the Metro, and that's after moving SV out (He used to be NJ) meaning a top 10 team would have missed had SV stayed. Wouldn't want to risk that happening.

^ I too shop and shopped great players (defined as lower cap hit, higher producing, young) with little interest. The foundation of my team, if I can humbly say a successful one, is to ice a full nhl lineup. I have made trades with rookie GM's that have been suggested I've taken advantage of, although I suggest that many of those the advantageous benefit I received is in the eye of the beholder. I believe I have made similar 'one-sided' trades with veteran GM's, and I have been stung by trades that don't end up resulting in my favor.

The 'roster shuffling' ability in fantrax and not constrained in our league (outside of the short waiver ineligibility window) is a unique feature in our league from RL and maybe other fantasy leagues,  that I have utilized and that any GM for the past 2 years could have utilized. I don't own the monopoly on it. If one wants waiver ineligible players, make trades with the risk that the prospect doesn't play or never plays, as I have. As CS pointed out, I just traded an amazing fantasy player in Johansson for the hopes that a small high scoring forward in the Q will pan out. 

Jazz has been a savant on collecting prospects that he's drafted or traded for, that we could be in an uproar over of more of the diamonds in the rough panned out to date. Carolina has amassed a huge collection of top end prospects,  and we could see a new champion of roster shuffling to target.

All this said, I'm not angry about the 'taking advantage of rookie GMs' and 'the only reason he's winning is because of a loophole we should change' talk, because it's the spirit and enthusiasm of our leagues GM's that make this league as fun as it is.

I hope we all continue to enjoy this league and the diverse approach that each GM has the non-constrained ability to take to ice their best team. 

Just now, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

The logic here doesn't work. An NHL team has a cap on the number of games they can play every year, they only play any given night.  But in this league, you play EVERY given night. So you can play more as many games as you want, as a chance to earn more points, by having more NHL quality players.

If your AHL team is full of NHL depth, you can't make them play extra games against an NHL team to earn more standings points.

Yes.  

But the real NHL does not accumulate players from 31 teams as we do.  They only get there own. Here we are simply playing the same rules applied to ''my teams'' assets. In that context it is fair.  I suppose you could cap callups. But its artificial. If players on a real NHL team were waiver safe, they call them up and down as they see fit. The anomoly is different game days. Hard to cap that.   

20 players, as proposed by D-Mo is a major change, not a minor cap as you propose. I'm not dead set against that. But it does take away something that is interesting. Then its an issue of  finding a way thats manageable with Fantrax?  Not dead set against it, but would not vote for it unless something very sharp was proposed. 

I didn't mean to sound like I was begrudging @somethingvery in any way. Kudos to him for working within the rules of the league to build a powerhouse! However, he's been so successful in exploiting the additional games played ability, that it is skewing the standings to a significant degree.

And it's not simply depth players we're talking about here - the players have to be waiver ineligible in order to cycle them in and out.

Uncovering young prospects that pan out as NHL players so that they can play for cheap and perhaps become elite talent is a benefit in itself. But it shouldn't mean you actually get 50% more players "on the ice" than 1/3 of the league.

21 minutes ago, somethingvery said:

The 'roster shuffling' ability in fantrax and not constrained in our league (outside of the short waiver ineligibility window) is a unique feature in our league from RL and maybe other fantasy leagues,  that I have utilized and that any GM for the past 2 years could have utilized. I don't own the monopoly on it. If one wants waiver ineligible players, make trades with the risk that the prospect doesn't play or never plays, as I have. As CS pointed out, I just traded an amazing fantasy player in Johansson for the hopes that a small high scoring forward in the Q will pan out. 

Carolina has amassed a huge collection of top end prospects,  and we could see a new champion of roster shuffling to target.

I have no problem with you (or anybody else) using the system - its a rule, it is an effective way to earn points, and if a rule can be taken advantage of, it will be. From the first baseman ball trick, to Sean Avery screening Brodeur, to Sam Pollock fleecing GMs for picks, to Gallant and Barch removing each other's helmets (funniest start to a hockey fight you've ever seen), it happens.

It just seems to me that some GMs in this league see that the extent to which you can get more man games is a little out of control (10% fine, 50% not), and think this rule should be passed to whatever Puck's version of the competion committee, to see if both a) there is a desire for change, and b ) if there is a reasonable way with Fantrax to implement it. This can happen in January, or February, maybe post trade deadline even. And doesn't need to be done to target a GM (if you have lots of young players playing in the NHL, you're probably in pretty good shape), but just to see if the rule makes sense for Puck going forward.

I'm happy to take the lead on organizing some sort of competition committee, though I get if the mods want to retain that privilege. But when you're setting something like this  league up, to me it makes sense to take a look at the rules every couple years. Could include a look at shots, or saves, as metrics (personally, I'm against, you can't change how good a player is arbitrarily) but we can have a look at any rule that a large portions of GMs want looked it

35 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I've been actively shopping my depth for months. No one seems to want them because they're not big name players.

The reality of it though is that those are the kind of players you win with, since they produce almost at the same FP/G, but at a fraction of the cap.

As for SV, I think it's inevitable he'll take a step back next year - just look at his expiring contracts. Sure he'll still undoubtedly make the playoffs, but a Presidents Trophy might be out of reach.

I offered players to guys who missed the playoff's by the slimmest of margins last year. And very potentially will this year?

One solution is teams without a full roster should get a call from ownership, cough exec group, asking for a ''please explain?'' If they have an active strategy and are keeping up with roster updates in Fantrax? Never a problem! This league seems to have a healthy turnover of GM's doing a bad job.  So I am guessing this actually goes on behind the scenes.  But a ''love tap'' every so often never hurts.  

14 minutes ago, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

I have no problem with you (or anybody else) using the system - its a rule, it is an effective way to earn points, and if a rule can be taken advantage of, it will be. From the first baseman ball trick, to Sean Avery screening Brodeur, to Sam Pollock fleecing GMs for picks, to Gallant and Barch removing each other's helmets (funniest start to a hockey fight you've ever seen), it happens.

It just seems to me that some GMs in this league see that the extent to which you can get more man games is a little out of control (10% fine, 50% not), and think this rule should be passed to whatever Puck's version of the competion committee, to see if both a) there is a desire for change, and b ) if there is a reasonable way with Fantrax to implement it. 

This reflects my thoughts exactly. SV has done a great job functioning entirely in the system. And it is also possible to tweek and update that system if there is enough desire. If it comes to that, I am not overly worried about SVe's ability to adapt and flourish in an updated system. 

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I didn't mean to sound like I was begrudging @somethingvery in any way. Kudos to him for working within the rules of the league to build a powerhouse! However, he's been so successful in exploiting the additional games played ability, that it is skewing the standings to a significant degree.

And it's not simply depth players we're talking about here - the players have to be waiver ineligible in order to cycle them in and out.

Uncovering young prospects that pan out as NHL players so that they can play for cheap and perhaps become elite talent is a benefit in itself. But it shouldn't mean you actually get 50% more players "on the ice" than 1/3 of the league.

I appreciate that D-Money and don't take any offence at all to what you're saying and the points your conveying. I guess my point is, there are other teams that have waiver ineligible players who are playing in the nhl. And they aren't realizing them in their active lineup because they haven't made room in their active lineup to do so, because they didn't want to risk losing an active nhl roster spot for the sake of a waiver ineligible player (aka my Johansson trade, or the fact I don't have a back up goalie). Or they didn't luck out and some prospects that were banked on didn't make a RL nhl team (Kyle Connor). 

I took on high risk of prospect success (which is a crapshoot), traded away all my picks last year to situate my team the way I have, while others have played it safe by icing a static lineup and have also done well. Just like the NHL is a copycat league, I invite others who think that a way to win is my method,  copy it - I don't hold the keys.

If you don't like that method, there are other ways to win - my team wasn't the best in the first regular season and it hasn't won in the playoffs.  

The GM's in the NHL are not knocking down the door of the league executive asking for constraints to be implemented on how the Penguins have won 2 cups with their AHL callups and non-descript defense. 

24 minutes ago, somethingvery said:

The GM's in the NHL are not knocking down the door of the league executive asking for constraints to be implemented on how the Penguins have won 2 cups with their AHL callups and non-descript defense. 

Um...isn't that basically what they did with the draft lottery changes?

:P

Archived