The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brad Wall announces his retirement from politics

thejazz97

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

wow... hope he's not ill. DIdn't see this one coming. 

Me too. My thought is he got a pretty swell offer from a company to be a consultant. Between the scandals, the gigantic deficit, and the massive budget cuts, he might have thought it better than repairing his image for the next election.

But I'm a little nervous, even for someone who's not a fan of the Sask Party. Brad Wall is a strong leader. Not sure if his replacement will be nearly the same.

Literally rode Saskatchewan through a boom.  Then bailed once the going got tough.

There's no illness at all.  He's just an opportunist.  I'm friends with his cousin.  His plan is a 2-5 year period before moving in to federal politics.  He has a private sector job available but won't step in immediately by her accounts 

True politician in every sense of the word.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Literally rode Saskatchewan through a boom.  Then bailed once the going got tough.

There's no illness at all.  He's just an opportunist.  I'm friends with his cousin.  His plan is a 2-5 year period before moving in to federal politics.  He has a private sector job available but won't step in immediately by her accounts 

interesting... that federal time frame would put him at the end of Trudeau's popularity (2 term at best and thats probably all he wants anyway) so you never know. I think Wall would be about as popular as a Muslim cemetery in Quebec but he may appeal to a lot of Ontario and the maritimes. Not sure what his platform would be. 

9 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

interesting... that federal time frame would put him at the end of Trudeau's popularity (2 term at best and thats probably all he wants anyway) so you never know. I think Wall would be about as popular as a Muslim cemetery in Quebec but he may appeal to a lot of Ontario and the maritimes. Not sure what his platform would be. 

Apparently he might be coming back to BC to run in Ed Fasts riding.

I cannot look at this as anything more than an opportunist getting out while the getting is good

2 consecutive terms with multiple budgets that had separate books that hid major cuts and deficit.  Sold every remaining viable crown corporation.  Slashed vital spending for seniors and health care.  

Derided BC and Alberta for everything not resource friendly but dismally failed to capitalize on a decade long resource boom and is leaving the province as bad as Devine did once all is said and done 

People can call him a strong leader but the truth is a strong leader leads.  They don't just ride a wave of anti former leadership party resentment and high resource prices then jump ship at the first hint of trouble.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Apparently he might be coming back to BC to run in Ed Fasts riding.

I cannot look at this as anything more than an opportunist getting out while the getting is good

2 consecutive terms with multiple budgets that had separate books that hid major cuts and deficit.  Sold every remaining viable crown corporation.  Slashed vital spending for seniors and health care.  

Derided BC and Alberta for everything not resource friendly but dismally failed to capitalize on a decade long resource boom and is leaving the province as bad as Devine did once all is said and done 

People can call him a strong leader but the truth is a strong leader leads.  They don't just ride a wave of anti former leadership party resentment and high resource prices then jump ship at the first hint of trouble.

Yah Abbotsford would love him. 

Isn't that what Horgan just did? :-D 

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He's probably just pissed off his political bedfellow Christy Clark lost her job, and doesn't want to fight as the sole conservative voice amongst liberals and democrats.  :lol:

(Note: Manitoba's premier is in a lot of hot doggie doo-doo at the moment, and is probably going to get fried soon, so even if Wall isn't the only conservative first minister, he will be soon enough ::D )

Well when you are living in Costa Rica and pretending to manage provincial affairs from another country on unsecured phones you're gonna piss people off.  especially when you campaigned on former provincial leadership mismanagement and being out of touch with the common person

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He's probably just pissed off his political bedfellow Christy Clark lost her job, and doesn't want to fight as the sole conservative voice amongst liberals and democrats.  :lol:

(Note: Manitoba's premier is in a lot of hot doggie doo-doo at the moment, and is probably going to get fried soon, so even if Wall isn't the only conservative first minister, he will be soon enough ::D )

By that time Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan will all have conservative government's. Who knows what will happen in B.C.

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

By that time Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan will all have conservative government's. Who knows what will happen in B.C.

Not sure I'd be banking on Alberta having a Conservative party as of yet.  Or did you miss what happened with Fidebrandt today?

Wynne has survived far worse

Sask is heading for recession with 0 assets left to sell and services cut all over the board and nobody as "strong" as Wall was apparently supposed to be to fill his shoes

Not sure I'd bank on that at all

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not sure I'd be banking on Alberta having a Conservative party as of yet.  Or did you miss what happened with Fidebrandt today?

Wynne has survived far worse

Sask is heading for recession with 0 assets left to sell and services cut all over the board and nobody as "strong" as Wall was apparently supposed to be to fill his shoes

Not sure I'd bank on that at all

Derek isn't running in the leadership race.  The Ndp is way down in Alberta, has been since a few months after the election. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Derek isn't running in the leadership race.  The Ndp is way down in Alberta, has been since a few months after the election. 

Uh huh

And every single time Jean/Kenney/|Fildebrandt open their mouth the UCP looks a little less viable.

Every dollar increase per barrel the NDP look a little more fiscally sound.

All of this is predicated on oil prices.  If it hits that $64 per barrel estimate by Christmas the NDP's debt will look pretty small.  It's easy to be way down when things look bleak.

Considering the last "poll" was done in May I'd say it's a bit early

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Uh huh

And every single time Jean/Kenney/|Fildebrandt open their mouth the UCP looks a little less viable.

All of this is predicated on oil prices.  If it hits that $64 per barrel estimate by Christmas the NDP's debt will look pretty small.  It's easy to be way down when things look bleak.

Here's a more up to date poll (August 1st).....I live in Alberta and I think these results flatter the NDP.

August 1, 2017 (Ottawa, ON) – A new Mainstreet poll find the United Conservative Party would form a majority government if an election were held today. The Mainstreet poll has a margin of error of ± 2.14%, 19 times out of 20.

“It appears to be a summer of love for the newly minted United Conservative Party (UCP) in Alberta. Just over a week ago, both the Progressive Conservative Party and the Wildrose Party membership voted overwhelmingly to ratify the unification deal struck by the parties and that appears to be paying immediate dividends,” said Quito Maggi, President of Mainstreet Research. “But of course, there is no election yet – and more importantly, the UCP still needs a permanent leader. One side-effect of the merger vote appears to be a spike in the number of undecided voters. In April, 15% of voters were undecided, that number is now 27% on the generic ballot, nearly double.”

Change from April 2017 (Among Decided & Leaning Voters);
NDP 29% (+5), UCP 57% (NEW), Liberal 4% (-1), Alberta 9% (+4)

43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Uh huh

Polls in late June. And believe me Ndp does not look good here. That deficit won't be small, we will be lucky if unemployment drops 1% point and hopefully we can gain our AAA credit rating back.

15 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Here's a more up to date poll (August 1st).....I live in Alberta and I think these results flatter the NDP.

August 1, 2017 (Ottawa, ON) – A new Mainstreet poll find the United Conservative Party would form a majority government if an election were held today. The Mainstreet poll has a margin of error of ± 2.14%, 19 times out of 20.

“It appears to be a summer of love for the newly minted United Conservative Party (UCP) in Alberta. Just over a week ago, both the Progressive Conservative Party and the Wildrose Party membership voted overwhelmingly to ratify the unification deal struck by the parties and that appears to be paying immediate dividends,” said Quito Maggi, President of Mainstreet Research. “But of course, there is no election yet – and more importantly, the UCP still needs a permanent leader. One side-effect of the merger vote appears to be a spike in the number of undecided voters. In April, 15% of voters were undecided, that number is now 27% on the generic ballot, nearly double.”

Change from April 2017 (Among Decided & Leaning Voters);
NDP 29% (+5), UCP 57% (NEW), Liberal 4% (-1), Alberta 9% (+4)

27% undecided? wow. With a good door to door effort and some luck in the debates she might be able to pull it off again, particularly in the UCP comes off as arrogant. 

Not surprised by this at all. There's been speculation since the budget or maybe even Feb. that he would step down. The NDP are in their own leadership race now so makes sense that he would go now when everything is up in the air. It's also getting to the point where scandals are coming out. Deals that were made under his leadership are looking bad and it's probably going to get worse. It's just sad that most people in this province didn't understand how the saskparty balanced about the last 5 budgets by using two different sets of books.

I'm scared for my province and what will fall out.

On 2017-08-10 at 11:21 AM, Warhippy said:

makes sense. hope the dirt comes out in time he can't wreck the country like he did my province.

Archived