The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

London attack at Parsons Green station eyed as 'terrorist incident,' police say

Ryan Strome

A homemade bomb exploded at a packed London subway station during Friday morning rush hour, injuring at least 22 people. Police called it a "terrorist incident."

The attack on the District Line train at Parsons Green station was the fifth terrorist attack in Britain this year.

Scotland Yard said an improvised explosive device was used in the attack. London's Metropolitan Police counter-terrorism unit is investigating the terrorist incident. Police did not immediately provide any details on any suspects. 

The ambulance service said at least one of the injuries was thought to be serious or life-threatening and most of the injuries were flash burns.

Passengers reported seeing people with burns to their faces and bodies after the "massive flash of flames" on the tube station. 

Peter Crowley, a passenger, told the BBC: "I heard a large bang from the doors on the other side of the tube train and this fireball came towards my heard and singed off all my hair – I have got burn marks at the top of my head. Everyone just ran off the train, it was quite scary.”

"It was a really hot intense fireball above my head, I've just got red marks and burns to the top of my head. There were a lot of people a lot worse than me.”

Photos taken inside a District Line train showed a white plastic bucket inside a supermarket shopping bag with flames and what appear to be wires visible.

Explosive experts told the Daily Mail that they were investigating the bucket and said if it exploded properly it could have killed dozens of people. The BBC reported that the homemade device contained a timer. 

Police advised people to avoid the area.

“Our city utterly condemns the hideous individuals who attempt to use terror to harm us and destroy our way of life,” London Mayor Sadiq Khan said in a statement. "As London has proven again and again, we will never be intimidated or defeated by terrorism."

"My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green and emergency services who are responding bravely to this terrorist incident," British Prime Minister Theresa May tweeted.

Police said it was "too early to confirm the cause of the fire, which will be subject to the investigation that is now underway by the Met's Counter Terrorism Command."

The London Ambulance Service said it was called in at 8:20 a.m. local time and dispatched multiple resources to the scene, including a hazardous area response team.

“Our initial priority is to assess the level and nature of injuries,” a statement read.

President Trump tweeted about the attack, which he said was perpetrated by a "loser terrorist."

"Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!" Trump wrote. "Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner.The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better!"

London police have declined to comment on Trump's suggestion that it knew about the attacker.

Richard Aylmer-Hall, 53, who was on the train when the blast occurred, said he saw people injured after being trampled.

"There was a woman on the platform who said she had seen a bag, a flash and a bang, so obviously something had gone off,” he said. “Some people got pushed over and trampled on, I saw two women being treated by ambulance crews.”

Hall said he didn't believe anyone was injured by the actual device.

"It was an absolutely packed, rush-hour District Line train from Wimbledon to Edgware Road. I saw crying women, there was lots of shouting and screaming, there was a bit of a crush on the stairs going down to the streets,” he told Sky News.

Emma Stevie, a passenger on the train during the fire, told the BBC she became mixed in a “human stampede.”

"I wedged myself in next to a railing, I put myself in the fetal position," she said.

"There was a pregnant woman underneath me, and I was trying really hard not to crush her.

"I saw a poor little boy with a smashed-in head and other injuries. It was horrible.

"The injuries from the stampede seemed the worst. I'm outside now, there are women crying and people sitting on the floor."

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said people should "keep calm and go about their normal lives" following the incident, adding that it would be “wrong to speculate.”

The London Underground itself has been targeted several times in the past, notably in July 2005, when suicide bombers blew themselves up on three subway trains and a bus, killing 52 people and themselves. Four more bombers tried a similar attack two weeks later, but their devices failed to detonate fully.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09/15/british-police-respond-to-reports-explosion-at-london-subway-station.amp.html

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I think they said that one person has life threatening injuries. I think the stampede following the blast caused many injuries also.

Hopefully a mod can merge the threads. I believe you posted yours first.

I'll beat a mod to it and just delete it out.  Your news story has more information than mine.

50 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Police called it a "terrorist incident."

Sigh.   Do they need to qualify - would someone make a homemade bomb and ignite it on public transport in a manner that wasn't intended to create some form or terror?   

I just hope for the polarized rhetoric in the world that whoever did this is named Michael Smith and is as lily white former female with questionable religious and sexual preferences who voted left wing but likes Trump - or something like that.   Someone as "anti profilable" (my new word) as possible to really mess up the rhetoric.

Probably some twit known to police but libturdness stopped the government from throwing this troglodyte out on his ass back in his own country. Or at the very least indefinite detention. Canada's no better at this than they are - CBC interviews an ISIS member who returned home and authorities won't arrest him because "he's sorry" and they can't verify if he actually cut anyone's head off. 

57 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sigh.   Do they need to qualify - would someone make a homemade bomb and ignite it on public transport in a manner that wasn't intended to create some form or terror?   

I just hope for the polarized rhetoric in the world that whoever did this is named Michael Smith and is as lily white former female with questionable religious and sexual preferences who voted left wing but likes Trump - or something like that.   Someone as "anti profilable" (my new word) as possible to really mess up the rhetoric.

IMpossible

because then it wouldn't be a terrorist attack it would be a "lone wolf with mental issues"

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

IMpossible

because then it wouldn't be a terrorist attack it would be a "lone wolf with mental issues"

I HATE that mate.   I hate that it is bad enough innocent people have to be victim to some sick f7ck's agenda but when political idiots from either end of the polarized spectrum decide to label it one thing or another, just to suit their personal agenda it really ticks me off.

Do the people that experience these incidents care that the time of the event who did it?   Is the damage to them, their families and their communities physically and/or mentally any different because someone fits a pre-ordained "profile" or not?   Sorry for the rhetorical question rant - I know you get this.   Just ticks me off!

Again, sure hope that this isn't someone(s) remotely related to immigration, middle-east, Muslim or non-white - if any of those things are part of this, it just gives all the ends of the polarized machine more fodder to continue this very divisive time we seem stuck in.

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I HATE that mate.   I hate that it is bad enough innocent people have to be victim to some sick f7ck's agenda but when political idiots from either end of the polarized spectrum decide to label it one thing or another, just to suit their personal agenda it really ticks me off.

Do the people that experience these incidents care that the time of the event who did it?   Is the damage to them, their families and their communities physically and/or mentally any different because someone fits a pre-ordained "profile" or not?   Sorry for the rhetorical question rant - I know you get this.   Just ticks me off!

Again, sure hope that this isn't someone(s) remotely related to immigration, middle-east, Muslim or non-white - if any of those things are part of this, it just gives all the ends of the polarized machine more fodder to continue this very divisive time we seem stuck in.

Case in point.  Dylan roof in America walks in to a church guns down 7 members of a church and states his intention is to kill all the black people and scare them back in to their holes.  `Mental illness

Man born with muslim heritage and significant mental issues regarding his sexuality guns down a gay night club.  Terrorist.

Man guns down a mosque in Canada.  Mental illness, no issue and even called a fake plant

Couple gun down an area of a market in California.  "terrosits"

Man drives his van in to a crowded mosque.  not a terrorist.

Man drives his van in to a crowd.  Terrorist

I don't profile people based on their skin colour or religion.  I profile them based on their actions.  if a persons intent is to sow as much fear and death in a public area towards innocent people as possibe.  That is an act of terrorism.

Anyone who whips out their dictionary and states otherwise based on a literal word for word definition about "needing a political motive" is a jackass.  The moment you harm dozens of people, intend to kill large groups, and scare an entire population based on your actions that is an act of terrorism to me.

The only people pushing this divide are politicians, the ignorant who eat their lies and specific branches of media who seem to need these incidents to continue to further the divide and push ratings.

Edit*  There is almost no question this has some sort of "religious motive" from a certain group.  but even IF it doesn't, some people will have already made up their mind.  And a small group of them will refuse to believe any evidence that states otherwise.  That's the world we live in

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Case in point.  Dylan roof in America walks in to a church guns down 7 members of a church and states his intention is to kill all the black people and scare them back in to their holes.  `Mental illness

Man born with muslim heritage and significant mental issues regarding his sexuality guns down a gay night club.  Terrorist.

Man guns down a mosque in Canada.  Mental illness, no issue and even called a fake plant

Couple gun down an area of a market in California.  "terrosits"

Man drives his van in to a crowded mosque.  not a terrorist.

Man drives his van in to a crowd.  Terrorist

I don't profile people based on their skin colour or religion.  I profile them based on their actions.  if a persons intent is to sow as much fear and death in a public area towards innocent people as possibe.  That is an act of terrorism.

Anyone who whips out their dictionary and states otherwise based on a literal word for word definition about "needing a political motive" is a jackass.  The moment you harm dozens of people, intend to kill large groups, and scare an entire population based on your actions that is an act of terrorism to me.

The only people pushing this divide are politicians, the ignorant who eat their lies and specific branches of media who seem to need these incidents to continue to further the divide and push ratings.

Edit*  There is almost no question this has some sort of "religious motive" from a certain group.  but even IF it doesn't, some people will have already made up their mind.  And a small group of them will refuse to believe any evidence that states otherwise.  That's the world we live in

This was called a terrorist attack.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This was called a terrorist attack.

Only by our government.

The "fake news media" declared otherwise.  Some going so far as to call it a fake and a plant.

Remember.

When people or entities have an agenda facts and borders don't stop them

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Only by our government.

The "fake news media" declared otherwise.  Some going so far as to call it a fake and a plant.

Remember.

When people or entities have an agenda facts and borders don't stop them

Quebec City Shooting Is One Of Worst Terrorist Attacks On Canadian Soil

Provincial police are now treating the attack as an act of terrorism

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/01/30/quebec-city-shooting_n_14496576.html

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Maybe that's because some people are trying to classify racism as a disease? 

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your point.  There's too much rush-to-judgment in our society today.

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

On these four sentences, I am 100% in agreement - in fact, could not agree more.    Well said.

47 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Europe has become a disaster.

Man shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ attacks two women with hammer in France

https://www.rt.com/news/403457-hammer-women-attack-france/

lol Strome really?

2 incidents and "it's a disaster"

2 days ago there was 8 mass shootings in the USA totaling 17 dead and 11 wounded one of them inside a school.  The US has a population approaching 400 million for 1 single country.

The European union or continent of europe has a population approaching 750 million....you know.  Context and all when tossing out big words

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

lol Strome really?

2 incidents and "it's a disaster"

2 days ago there was 8 mass shootings in the USA totaling 17 dead and 11 wounded one of them inside a school.  The US has a population approaching 400 million for 1 single country.

The European union or continent of europe has a population approaching 750 million....you know.  Context and all when tossing out big words

Where the hell have you been? 2 incidences really hip?

48 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

On these four sentences, I am 100% in agreement - in fact, could not agree more.    Well said.

Sadly, people will argue this and look up Miriams or websters to show somehow someway that this is not the case

See see, look at the definition jeez.  Just because he gunned down 17 toddlers in a pre school doesn't make this a terrorist act...

Archived