The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On this date in Canucks history, Pavel Bure signs his first NHL contract.

Roger Neilsons Towel

It's scary to think what he could have done if his knees were healthy for a full career. This man was McDavid before McDavid even existed. Minus the playmaking ability. McDavid has some nasty vision out there. He has had some gnarly assists so far this season alone. I am so sad I never really got a chance to watch Bure play. The highlights I have seen blow my mind. I envy all the older folks that got to see this man live. Whether on TV or in the arena. He was a special breed of player, that much is evident even from just highlight reels. 

14 minutes ago, canuck_in_england said:

Forgive my ignorance but how can someone that good only be selected 113th in the draft?! Was he just poorly scouted or his game came on that much before his first season?

Most NHL teams did not think he was draftable. Quinn stuck his neck out and managed to get him. That move alone should rank Quinn as the greatest Canuck GM. 

I rank Bure as the most talented player to ever play for the Canucks but not the greatest. I still rank Linden as the greatest Canuck.   

18 minutes ago, canuck_in_england said:

Forgive my ignorance but how can someone that good only be selected 113th in the draft?! Was he just poorly scouted or his game came on that much before his first season?

The way I head it most GMs didn't know he was draft eligible that year. So he slid down the draft rankings. It was highly controversial when Quinn selected him. I also heard Quinn wanted to draft him later but apparently he caught wind Edmonton wanted to do the same. 

Edit: @Boudrias has got you covered. :P 

Archived