The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On this date in Canucks history, Pavel Bure signs his first NHL contract.

Roger Neilsons Towel

On this date, October 31st 1991, Pavel Bure signed his first NHL contract with the Vancouver Canucks. 

He’d score 34 goals that season and win the Calder Trophy. 

2BDF562C-9E3C-432C-8885-A4DBF947114D.jpeg.cdb502cef73fc2ed64efaf7a78fd5a31.jpeg

Selected 113th overall in the 1989 NHL Entry Draftby Vancouver, he began his NHL career in the 1991–92 season, and won the Calder Memorial Trophy as the league's best rookie before leading the NHL in goal-scoring in 1993-94 and helping the Canucks to the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals. After seven seasons the Canucks dealt Bure to the Panthers, where he won back-to-back Rocket Richard Trophies as the league's leading goal-scorer. Bure struggled with knee injuries throughout his career, resulting in his retirement in 2005 as a member of the Rangers, although he had not played since 2003. He averaged better than a point per game in his NHL career (779 points with 437 goals in 702 NHL games) and is fourth all-time in goals per game.[notes 1] After six years of eligibility, Bure was elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame in June 2012. In 2017, an NHL panel named Bure one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players in history.[5]

Internationally, Bure competed for the Soviet Unionand Russia. As a member of the Soviet Union, he won two silver medals and a gold in three World Junior Championships, followed by a gold and a silver medal in the 1990 and 1991 World Championships, respectively. After the Soviet Union was dissolved in 1991, Bure competed for Russia in two Winter Olympics, claiming silver at the 1998 Games in Nagano as team captain, and bronze at the 2002 Games in Salt Lake City. Following Bure's retirement in 2005, he was named the general manager for Russia's national team at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin.[6] Bure was later recognized for his international career as a 2012 inductee in the International Ice Hockey Federation Hall of Fame.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Bure

2 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Sans Gretzky and Lemieux, nobody in the 90s made young kids want to learn to play hockey more than Pavel Bure. Stud. I still have my fan club membership memorabilia and autographed card. 

Couldn’t agree more. Bure was an amazing talent. His speed and hands changed the game at that time. He brought hockey into the spotlight for a whole young generation of kids in the 90’s, especially in BC. I remember watching the games with my Dad when I was 6 years old hoping to get a glimpse of the Russian Rocket and see one of his beautiful goals. 

I can't imagine how much he would of thrived playing in today's NHL which is all about speed and skill. Another underrated thing people don't often mention about Bure is that he is a big man and he can hit as well. If only the Canucks have someone playing like him currently... man...

Man, he was so exciting to watch. Big Gino on his wing being a beauty... 

Good era. Real Gud.

I'd say Tarasenko is the closest to Bure these days, but my heart of hearts tells me Valamir can't hold a candle to him.

Bure is the epitome of "sneaky Russian". Damn he was fast.

10 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

On this date, October 31st 1991, Pavel Bure signed his first NHL contract with the Vancouver Canucks. 

He’d score 34 goals that season and win the Calder Trophy. 

2BDF562C-9E3C-432C-8885-A4DBF947114D.jpeg.cdb502cef73fc2ed64efaf7a78fd5a31.jpeg

What is also so absolutely impressive about Bure, and a big reason he's in the HHOF is that he was winning Richard trophies with fifty plus goal seasons in the heart of the dead puck era...if he played in the eightees and stopped in 94 ( the last season of high scoring and the start of the trap), I'd bet he would have given Bossy a run for his money at highest GPG stat.

The most exciting player I've ever watched, Gretzky was an alien so he doesn't count.

9 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I can't imagine how much he would of thrived playing in today's NHL which is all about speed and skill. Another underrated thing people don't often mention about Bure is that he is a big man and he can hit as well. If only the Canucks have someone playing like him currently... man...

Never thought he was big, at 5 10 , 180lbs, but he was all muscle and did throw his weight around, just as Churla ha ha.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Never thought he was big, at 5 10 , 180lbs, but he was all muscle and did throw his weight around, just as Churla ha ha.

He was as powerful as he was fearless.

Comes in and wins the benchpress competition.

Didn't he do 22 reps of 200lbs or something? At that size. Crazy.

He was a determined dude who changed the Canucks fortunes.

Archived