The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 years later: Who won the Schneider for Horvat (9th overall pick) trade? (VIDEO)

Canuck Clay

2 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

I see zero reason why Gilman would lie when neither he nor Gillis are General Managers anymore and he's been so forthcoming with other information in his interviews of late.

Employment.

I doubt anyone is going to hire you if you flat out admit taking a lesser deal, just because a team is in your division.

3 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

I see zero reason why Gilman would lie when neither he nor Gillis are General Managers anymore and he's been so forthcoming with other information in his interviews of late.

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Employment.

I doubt anyone is going to hire you if you flat out admit taking a lesser deal, just because a team is in your division.

If the other team is a division rival, of course you would take a lesser deal from a team outside your division. Filling a gaping hole in a rivals lineup could easily come back to haunt you. And lying about it would be stupid. NHL management is a pretty small club.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

If the other team is a division rival, of course you would take a lesser deal from a team outside your division. Filling a gaping hole in a rivals lineup could easily come back to haunt you. And lying about it would be stupid. NHL management is a pretty small club.

Divisional trades happen all the time, if it make sense for both parties.

Edmonton was a starting goalie away from being a playoff team and were desperate in adding one. If they wanted Schneider, they needed to overpay, which if the rumours were true, it was more than enough. 

We needed to unload a goalie and stock pile our depleted prospect pool. This is when the team should have started the rebuild. 

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Divisional trades happen all the time, if it make sense for both parties.

Edmonton was a starting goalie away from being a playoff team and were desperate in adding one. If they wanted Schneider, they needed to overpay, which if the rumours were true, it was more than enough. 

We needed to unload a goalie and stock pile our depleted prospect pool. This is when the team should have started the rebuild. 

I don't disagree with the fundamental point of this post but I just gotta disagree with the idea that Edmonton was a starting goaltender away from the playoffs. That team was defensively horrific from top to bottom and would have left any goalie out to dry. Just look at Dubnyk. A better goalie would have certainly kept them in more games but it was not their biggest issue.

i still think we need 2 more years to see.  NJD has been poor leading up to this season and we have yet to see where bo fits in our future lineup.

If bo caps out as a very good #2 c on a perinatal cup contender and nj makes it deep with their young blood id say its a fair trade.  right now though i think njd has the edge in terms of the quality of player and their impact on their team for a cup run.

bo has done wonders for this fanbase and ownership. he has started an exciting new era of canucks hockey.   hes given us hope and something to hang on to in dark times.  if bo caps out at a solid elite #2 i think whoever wins the cup wins the trade.  

exciting times. one thing i will say.  if we had corey instead of miller without bo. this team would of been a lot worse off.  i think bo has more inherent value to us now. whos the better player and their future impact has yet to be determined.

if bo is kesler 2.0 maybe its a win. if bo is Bergeron to Pettersson's krejgi ++ we did well. (i forget how to spell his name lol)

On 11/2/2017 at 5:54 PM, RWMc1 said:

Yeah, it was more of a rhetorical question. I was basically commenting on what we have in Bo.

If we had kept Schneider, we would have had to take a lesser return on Lou. Schneider would have had to play behind some bad teams and the media and fans would have eventually turned on him. We're on a better path whether people want to believe it or not. Also, his latest resurgence has a lot to do with Rollie who wouldn't be here.

I still say we start a campaign to make Schneider  captain, for that matter, all NHL goalies except ours, because we have already done that and would encourage others to follow suit. 

Can't beleive how many people think the devils won this trade at this point. They haven't made the playoffs once with Schneider, if anything he kept them away from the top of the draft (until he flopped last year). He actually hurt their franchise long term.

Schneider will be 32 by seasons end, he should start slowing down in a couple years, fading into a backup or retiring in 4 years. Horvat will be 26 and just hitting his prime at that time.

This was a win now trade for the devils and almost 5 years later they haven't come close to winning. They took the gamble that the pick would bust and lost. 

Archived