The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

7 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Cal Clutterbuck had a 34 point season and several 20+ point seasons leading up to that contract. No disrespect to Derek Dorsett but the 2 just aren't comparible. 

I'm not even going to comment on Matt Martin as he was still playing out his contract with the Islanders at the time.

Which brings us to Brandon Prust. I guess you got me there. One time...one team...signed a guy like Derek Dorsett to a 4 year deal. 

Why are you fighting so hard to deny the fact that we overpaid for Dorsett? Are you incapable of critical thinking? 

If your arguing that at the time we signed the Dorsett deal we overpayed then I could listen to that argument. If your arguing in retrospect that we overpayed then you don't have a leg to stand on. So I can't judge what your saying without knowing that fact ? 

Cal Clutterbuck had a 34 point season and several 20+ point seasons leading up to that contract. No disrespect to Derek Dorsett but the 2 just aren't comparible. 

I'm not even going to comment on Matt Martin as he was still playing out his contract with the Islanders at the time.

Which brings us to Brandon Prust. I guess you got me there. One time...one team...signed a guy like Derek Dorsett to a 4 year deal. 

Why are you fighting so hard to deny the fact that we overpaid for Dorsett? Are you incapable of critical thinking? 

If your arguing that at the time we signed the Dorsett deal we overpayed then I could listen to that argument. If your arguing in retrospect that we overpayed then you don't have a leg to stand on. So I can't judge what your saying without knowing that fact ? 

36 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

.  The whining over Dorsett's contract is almost approaching HFBOARDS level.  some guys act like the money is coming out of their pockets.  heart and soul guy that is an outstanding example of hard work and perseverance on a team that is cycling in young players who need leadership and mentorship,  but all they look at is stats and lament over a few hundred thousand dollars lost (in their minds).  How do you put a value on one of the smallest players on the bench challenging anybody that takes a run at a Canuck, or a guy that will pick on the biggest player on the other bench to gt his lethargic bench going..buddy practically put himself in a wheel chair going through the wall for the team, but all they see is a few points and whine about the money.  LOL.

I wasn't whining about Dorsett's contract, merely showing how Benning is mortal and capable of coming out on the wrong end in negotiations. Some members on this board are on some next level homer sh**. Like Benning couldn't sign a bad contract if he was missing half his fingers. That signature would come out looking pristine AF and we'd be getting value for days. Even more embarrassing is their "I told you so" mentality, acting like they haven't ever questioned the dollars or term in signings like Dorsett, Sbisa and Eriksson. Keep telling yourself that. As long as you believe it, it's true, right?

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wasn't whining about Dorsett's contract, merely showing how Benning is mortal and capable of coming out on the wrong end in negotiations. Some members on this board are on some next level homer sh**. Like Benning couldn't sign a bad contract if he was missing half his fingers. That signature would come out looking pristine AF and we'd be getting value for days. Even more embarrassing is their "I told you so" mentality, acting like they haven't ever questioned the dollars or term in signings like Dorsett, Sbisa and Eriksson. Keep telling yourself that. As long as you believe it, it's true, right?

In my opinion 2.6 million per year for dorsett was not an overpayment.  Awesome 4th line guy that provided tonnes of intangibles.  Like I mentioned, the guy practically put himself in a wheelchair because of what he gave on the ice. You dont agree ok, thats fine.

for the bold part above all I have to say is this - Eriksson -  Even JB's mom was criticizing that one.  Havent seen many if any in here defending that one...but you know what...if he keeps playing like he is it will become a good debate.  Personally, im on the opposite end of the spectrum that you are - im tired of hearing about (13 goal boy) Tkachuk, Sbisa (who isnt nearly as bad as some make him out to be) and how bad Gudbranson supposedly is.

In the end no GM is perfect, and we all have opinions.  Everyone is entitled to one...

50 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

.  The whining over Dorsett's contract is almost approaching HFBOARDS level.  some guys act like the money is coming out of their pockets.  heart and soul guy that is an outstanding example of hard work and perseverance on a team that is cycling in young players who need leadership and mentorship,  but all they look at is stats and lament over a few hundred thousand dollars lost (in their minds).  How do you put a value on one of the smallest players on the bench challenging anybody that takes a run at a Canuck, or a guy that will pick on the biggest player on the other bench to gt his lethargic bench going..buddy practically put himself in a wheel chair going through the wall for the team, but all they see is a few points and whine about the money.  LOL.

But you have to understand -- by overpaying Dorsett, Sutter, and Sbisa by a few hundred thousand each it prevents us from spending on good veteran players to big money deals so that the team will be worse and we can tank for high draft picks and then...

Er, wait...

:huh:

17 minutes ago, ohmy said:

I'm arguing that at the the time, both the Sbisa and Dorsett contracts were surprisingly player friendly. To the point where you wonder if there was any negotiating at all ot if Benning just gave them exactly what they were asking for. Sbisa's was the worse of the 2. He eventually grew into his contract once you take inflation and his progression into account, but that's not how you go about giving out contracts. Sbisa was a 3rd pairing defenseman at the time. The only time you pay a player for potential is when you want to save money down the road. For example, a player coming off his ELC will get a higher AAV to sign long term because it works in his team's favour down the road. Horvat's contract will be a bargain in 3 years time. At no point was Sbisa's contract a bargain, but at one point he was overpaid. 

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

But you have to understand -- by overpaying Dorsett, Sutter, and Sbisa by a few hundred thousand each it prevents us from spending on good veteran players to big money deals so that the team will be worse and we can tank for high draft picks and then...

Er, wait...

:huh:

lol...yup....for an in depth analysis of this line of thought one should refer to HFBOARDS.  Its appalling (no joking here) what some of those guys go on about in there.  Openly cheering for losses, cursing guys like Boeser and Daniel for scoring...still rabbling about Tkachuk and Forsling...pathetic isnt even pathetic enough to describe it...  

4 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

In my opinion 2.6 million per year for dorsett was not an overpayment.  Awesome 4th line guy that provided tonnes of intangibles.  Like I mentioned, the guy practically put himself in a wheelchair because of what he gave on the ice. You dont agree ok, thats fine.

for the bold part above all I have to say is this - Eriksson -  Even JB's mom was criticizing that one.  Havent seen many if any in here defending that one...but you know what...if he keeps playing like he is it will become a good debate.  Personally, im on the opposite end of the spectrum that you are - im tired of hearing about (13 goal boy) Tkachuk, Sbisa (who isnt nearly as bad as some make him out to be) and how bad Gudbranson supposedly is.

In the end no GM is perfect, and we all have opinions.  Everyone is entitled to one...

I think you're missing my point. I have no problem with Dorsett's salary. Same with Sbisa ATM. But both of those contracts were huge wins for the players. Both got more term and AAV than anyone expected. 

As far as no one defending Eriksson's contract. Apparently you haven't met @oldnews lol

2 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

lol...yup....for an in depth analysis of this line of thought one should refer to HFBOARDS.  Its appalling (no joking here) what some of those guys go on about in there.  Openly cheering for losses, cursing guys like Boeser and Daniel for scoring...still rabbling about Tkachuk and Forsling...pathetic isnt even pathetic enough to describe it... 

I think pity is the appropriate response, because the irrationality and despair are likely a reflection of their lives.  They make the whingers here look like amateurs, alright.

6 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think you're missing my point. I have no problem with Dorsett's salary. Same with Sbisa ATM. But both of those contracts were huge wins for the players. Both got more term and AAV than anyone expected. 

As far as no one defending Eriksson's contract. Apparently you haven't met @oldnews lol

Fair enough, I went back and reread some of your posts - i shouldnt have called it whining and compared it to HFBOARDS -  nothing in here come close to the stuff I read there!  I think the problem was I was just browsing through there (HF WhinerBoards), got all worked, up then came here and read this thread and over reacted a bit :-)

Just now, Darius71 said:

Fair enough, I went back and reread some of your posts - i shouldnt have called it whining and compared it to HFBOARDS -  nothing in here come close to the stuff I read there!  I think the problem was I was just browsing through there, got all worked, up then came here and read this thread and over reacted a bit :-)

Haha no worries. 

Honestly, save yourself the time and don't even bother reading this thread. It's just one big pissing contest. 

Speaking of overpayment for D-men, i recommend calgaryschmuck.com this evening.  They are on the verge of losing to the 0-10 philly flyers and have given up 5 goals in the process....5 goals tonight, 7 goals against vs the coil the other night, they gotta be bottom 6 in the NHL now for Goals against.

Let me see....2 first overall picks plus 4 second round picks (im doing this off the top of my head) for two of the biggest whipping boys in Calgary right now - Hamonic and Hamilton...thankfully the lames dont have any picks in the first round of the next draft because they needed to build an elite D core ...

and the best part of their loss to philly ---- Elliott was in net for philly, the same Elliott they were blaming for their poor defensive play last year...some good $hit...

17 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

yawn.

hey, if you can't deal with what people actually say, paraphrase bullshizzz instead.

What I said is that the jury has withdrawn the conviction and is still out.

His production has returned to the mean this year - ie if Loui produces 60 pts a year, which is what he's doing this season - as he has throughout his career, then yes, he's worth his contract.  We'll know when we know whether he was worth the money - and ironically, I've already shown you numerous contracts that people went apeshizz over in the past, and in the end, they punked themselves with pretenses to foretell the results, and whiffed on the values of the players in question.  Quite simply - you don't know what Eriksson will do over the next four years - and if you're arguing with any consistency whatsoever - then you judge his terms on what he'd done to deserve them - after all, those are the grounds on which you pretend to judge contracts like Dorsett's Sbisa's, etc - at the time they were signed.

11 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Speaking of overpayment for D-men, i recommend calgaryschmuck.com this evening.  They are on the verge of losing to the 0-10 philly flyers and have given up 5 goals in the process....5 goals tonight, 7 goals against vs the coil the other night, they gotta be bottom 6 in the NHL now for Goals against.

Let me see....2 first overall picks plus 4 second round picks (im doing this off the top of my head) for two of the biggest whipping boys in Calgary right now - Hamonic and Hamilton...thankfully the lames dont have any picks in the first round of the next draft because they needed to build an elite D core ...

and the best part of their loss to philly ---- Elliott was in net for philly, the same Elliott they were blaming for their poor defensive play last year...some good $hit...

I'm loving it. I have a bet going with a flames fan that marky will end up with a better save percentage than smith. Their D looks amazing on paper but boy is it shocking how bad it really is.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yawn.

hey, if you can't deal with what people actually say, paraphrase bullshizzz instead.

What I said is that the jury has withdrawn the conviction and is still out.

His production has returned to the mean this year - ie if Loui produces 60 pts a year, which is what he's doing this season - as he has throughout his career, then yes, he's worth his contract.  We'll know when we know whether he was worth the money - and ironically, I've already shown you numerous contracts that people went apeshizz over in the past, and in the end, they punked themselves with pretenses for foretell the results, and whiffed on the values of the players in question.  Quite simply - you don't know what Eriksson will do over the next four years - and if you're arguing with any consistency whatsoever - then you judge his terms on what he'd done to deserve them - those are the grounds on which you pretend to judge contracts like Dorsett's Sbisa's, etc on.

You were defending his contract like a true homer, claiming that almost a year and a half wasn't enough time for us to judge him. Old man Old News needs to get checked for alzheimers.

49 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

$4.5 million super scorer, Troy Brouwer just score his 1st goal of the year today.

2 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

$4.5 million super scorer, Troy Brouwer just score his 1st goal of the year today.

A lot of posters on CDC wanted Brouwer pretty bad when he was a free agent.

Free agency is such a crap shoot. More often than not these contracts end up being piss poor. I'm fine with the short term contracts JB handed out this past summer. Hopefully he continues to stay away from 5+ year deals to UFAs. 

A lot of posters on CDC wanted Brouwer pretty bad when he was a free agent.

Free agency is such a crap shoot. More often than not these contracts end up being piss poor. I'm fine with the short term contracts JB handed out this past summer. Hopefully he continues to stay away from 5+ year deals to UFAs. 

Although I was very much against a Brouwer signing (from his being an absolute no-show in the playoffs until his contract year), at the time it looked like Calgary got a decent deal on him. But man, he's been terrible, and his contract is an anchor for them.

And look at Moulson - still $5 mil per season left this year and next, and he's simply useless. He used to be very reliable. But once age-related decline starts kicking in on guys who aren't that fast/skilled to begin with, it doesn't take long for the game to completely pass them by.

Archived