The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trudeau more unpopular than popular for the first time since election: survey

tbone909

14 minutes ago, Hobble said:

While I do respect some aspects of fiscal conservatism, I just can't get on board with their religious, pro-life, anti-science overtones.

This was never brought to the table during Harper's 10 years as PM and Scheer has repeatedly said it is a non issue if he becomes PM. It seems to be a scare tactic by the left. 

As far as religion goes what they choose to believe is none of our concern even JT and the Liberals agree with that.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This was never brought to the table during Harper's 10 years as PM and Scheer has repeatedly said it is a non issue if he becomes PM. It seems to be a scare tactic by the left. 

As far as religion goes what they choose to believe is none of our concern even JT and the Liberals agree with that.

Their beliefs are not of concern, but how they let their beliefs guide their decisions in regards to public policy can be (eg. Christian aversion to abortion, contraception).

Maybe I am mostly extrapolating US/Republican views to our Conservatives, and maybe they don't take all of that as seriously, but it just seems like when I've heard a politician go off against some of these freedoms, climate change, etc., the majority of time they are Conservative. However, I do understand that ignorance and/or greed are not unique attributes to Cons, so each party has their bad eggs.

All I know is that Harper's Conservatives couldn't give a damn about environmental regulation and scientific funding, which are key positions for me. From the impression I get, I doubt Scheer's guidance would be any different.

1 minute ago, Hobble said:

Their beliefs are not of concern, but how they let their beliefs guide their decisions in regards to public policy can be (eg. Christian aversion to abortion, contraception).

Maybe I am mostly extrapolating US/Republican views to our Conservatives, and maybe they don't take all of that as seriously, but it just seems like when I've heard a politician go off against some of these freedoms, climate change, etc., the majority of time they are Conservative. However, I do understand that ignorance and/or greed are not unique attributes to Cons, so each party has their bad eggs.

All I know is that Harper's Conservatives couldn't give a damn about environmental regulation and scientific funding, which are key positions for me. From the impression I get, I doubt Scheer's guidance would be any different.

So you do have valid concerns and thats fair as for the bolded I think lots of people do that and it really isn't fair.

No matter what a PM or political parties view on gay marriage or abortion it's more than safe to say those things would never pass a constitutional challenge and Scheer has said this publicly. Certainly his religion doesn't agree with it but keep in mind Trudeau is a Catholic and he isn't stopping these things. Religion really has no place in politics.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Because if Harper tried it women would have come out in droves against it. Many in that party believe in a twisted version of Christianity and are against it..$&!# some fully admit they think the world is 5000 years old and are Biblical literralists.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So you do have valid concerns and thats fair as for the bolded I think lots of people do that and it really isn't fair.

No matter what a PM or political parties view on gay marriage or abortion it's more than safe to say those things would never pass a constitutional challenge and Scheer has said this publicly. Certainly his religion doesn't agree with it but keep in mind Trudeau is a Catholic and he isn't stopping these things. Religion really has no place in politics.

I have feeling he's catholic in name only...like many Democrats in the US and a few Repubs I'm sure. 

9 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Because if Harper tried it women would have come out in droves against it. Many in that party believe in a twisted version of Christianity and are against it..$&!# some fully admit they think the world is 5000 years old and are Biblical literralists.  

But like I said he never attempted to stop abortion. Again a left wing scare tactic.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

But like I said he never attempted to stop abortion. Again a left wing scare tactic.

Not really.  The party members were on board in polled numbers but the leadership was smart enough to avoid that political mess.  Who is to say a new leader won't. 

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Not really.  The party members were on board in polled numbers but the leadership was smart enough to avoid that political mess.  Who is to say a new leader won't. 

Because he publicly said he wouldn't and acknowledged it would never pass a constitutional challenge. I suppose it's the same reason JT doesn't push Catholic views on Canada. Honestly you're just assuming about the conservatives while down playing something Trudeau has admitted.

Edited by Ryan Strome

15 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Do you think members ofthe liberal party haven't opposed a womens right to choose?

Edited by Ryan Strome

11 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Andrew Scheer by his own admission has always voted in favour of pro-life legislation. He is paying lip-service now while he doesn't have enough support but as soon as he does he will probably go for it. Can never trust these religious hardliners and Scheer has proven with his voting record that there is no flexibility in his hardline stance against abortion.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Andrew Scheer by his own admission has always voted in favour of pro-life legislation. He is paying lip-service now while he doesn't have enough support but as soon as he does he will probably go for it. Can never trust these religious hardliners and Scheer has proven with his voting record that there is no flexibility in his hardline stance against abortion.

No chance it would pass a constitutional challenge and furthermore it would kill the party. Why would he bring it up?

Left wing fear tactics is all it is. The same same nonsense was said when Harper was pm and guess what ne never touched it but it didn't stop the left for 10 years saying he would.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No chance it would pass a constitutional challenge and furthermore it would kill the party. Why would he bring it up?

Left wing fear tactics is all it is. The same same nonsense was said when Harper was pm and guess what ne never touched it but it didn't stop the left for 10 years saying he would.

It was the the right's choice to back a social conservative, its only logical that people would wonder whether he would push his hardline stances when he gets the job. Maybe the conservatives should back more modern candidates and not religious zealots like Andrew Scheer. There are younger generation of conservatives who are pro-choice, why not try something different rather than go back to the same old well.

29 minutes ago, Toews said:

It was the the right's choice to back a social conservative, its only logical that people would wonder whether he would push his hardline stances when he gets the job. Maybe the conservatives should back more modern candidates and not religious zealots like Andrew Scheer. There are younger generation of conservatives who are pro-choice, why not try something different rather than go back to the same old well.

Well personally I was behind Bernier and or O'toole.

32 minutes ago, Toews said:

My grandpa votes Conservative.  He wants Canada back to the 1950's.   Like an old Happy Days episode......

Kinda cute but  time for Canada and Canadians to move forward....   Build a better future.

That is why i am so excited to have a real leader like Justin Trudeau as Prime Minister...  

Finally Canada has leadership that is modern and looking ahead....  

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My grandpa votes Conservative.  He wants Canada back to the 1950's.   Like an old Happy Days episode......

Kinda cute but  time for Canada and Canadians to move forward....   Build a better future.

That is why i am so excited to have a real leader like Justin Trudeau as Prime Minister...  

Finally Canada has leadership that is modern and looking ahead....  

I'm excited that Trudeaus approval and poll numbers keep falling. I guess more and more people agree with your grandpa. I'm willing to bet your grandpa is a smart man.

21 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Do you think members ofthe liberal party haven't opposed a womens right to choose?

They certainly have. Not exactly a fan of them either by the way.  That said Harper is a &^@#ing scumbag who ruined Canadian conservatism imo. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Because he publicly said he wouldn't and acknowledged it would never pass a constitutional challenge. I suppose it's the same reason JT doesn't push Catholic views on Canada. Honestly you're just assuming about the conservatives while down playing something Trudeau has admitted.

Not assumption...something I've actually read up on in the past.  Thanks for making your assumptions though.