The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trudeau more unpopular than popular for the first time since election: survey

tbone909

Each irregular migrant costs the Canadian government between $10K and $34K: PBO

Every irregular border crosser who came to Canada over the last year cost the federal government on average $14,321.

of handling their asylum claim through federal agencies and is expected to increase to an average cost of $15,483 this year and to $16,666 in 2019-2020.

Those numbers come from a new report by the parliamentary budget officer released on Thursday which looked at the full costs of irregular migration across Canada’s southern border.

According to the report, that means the total cost of dealing with the cohort of migrants who arrived in the 2017-2018 fiscal year will be about $340 million over the total time it takes to complete their claims, whether that be two years or five, for example.

For those arriving over 2019-2020, the cost of seeing their claims through to completion is forecast to cost a total of $396 million, based on estimates of similar numbers coming over that time period as have been seen previously.

Officials based the estimates on the 23,755 irregular migrants who arrived between April 2017 and March 2018.

However, the report also notes there is a wide range in cost per migrant and also does not take into account the cost to provinces of dealing with the migrants.

For those who entered Canada in 2017-2018, the cost estimate ranged from $9,915 for the simplest cases or those whose claim is accepted at the first hearing.

But it can also soar as high as $33,738 when a claimant goes through every appeal process and then has to be deported.

The report also notes that while the infrastructure in place to deal with the claims will not need to be adjusted because the costs per migrant primarily reflect personnel, medical and legal expenses, the total cost is on track to far exceed what was allocated in Budget 2018.

The federal government allocated $173.2 million over two years in that budget to deal with irregular migration.

Of that, $72 million is allocated to both the Immigration and Refugee Board and the Canada Border Services Agency over two years.

Over the next year, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is getting $17 million over one year while the RCMP got $10 million and CSIS received $2 million.

The report also notes that the more migrants come in, the higher the cost to taxpayers because the delays add to the total cost on the system.

As of September 2018, there is a backlog of 64,929 asylum cases and 28,314 of those are irregular migrants.

That comes after close to two years of a spike in the number of irregular migrants walking across the border from the United States.

The RCMP first began collecting data on that spike in January 2017.

During the 2017-2018 fiscal year, the Immigration and Refugee Board could have handled hearing 24,000 cases per year but instead received 52,142, of which 23,215 of those were irregular migration claims.

The PBO also asked Quebec and Ontario for their assessments of costs, given those provinces are among the most directly impacted by the flow of irregular migrants.

Ontario estimated $200 million in costs the province says it has incurred per year from migrants, and officials told reporters on Thursday that seems like a reasonable assessment.

Quebec did not provide an estimate.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4710952/irregular-migration-pbo-report-cost/

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Each irregular migrant costs the Canadian government between $10K and $34K: PBO

Every irregular border crosser who came to Canada over the last year cost the federal government on average $14,321.

of handling their asylum claim through federal agencies and is expected to increase to an average cost of $15,483 this year and to $16,666 in 2019-2020.

Those numbers come from a new report by the parliamentary budget officer released on Thursday which looked at the full costs of irregular migration across Canada’s southern border.

According to the report, that means the total cost of dealing with the cohort of migrants who arrived in the 2017-2018 fiscal year will be about $340 million over the total time it takes to complete their claims, whether that be two years or five, for example.

For those arriving over 2019-2020, the cost of seeing their claims through to completion is forecast to cost a total of $396 million, based on estimates of similar numbers coming over that time period as have been seen previously.

Officials based the estimates on the 23,755 irregular migrants who arrived between April 2017 and March 2018.

However, the report also notes there is a wide range in cost per migrant and also does not take into account the cost to provinces of dealing with the migrants.

For those who entered Canada in 2017-2018, the cost estimate ranged from $9,915 for the simplest cases or those whose claim is accepted at the first hearing.

But it can also soar as high as $33,738 when a claimant goes through every appeal process and then has to be deported.

The report also notes that while the infrastructure in place to deal with the claims will not need to be adjusted because the costs per migrant primarily reflect personnel, medical and legal expenses, the total cost is on track to far exceed what was allocated in Budget 2018.

The federal government allocated $173.2 million over two years in that budget to deal with irregular migration.

Of that, $72 million is allocated to both the Immigration and Refugee Board and the Canada Border Services Agency over two years.

Over the next year, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is getting $17 million over one year while the RCMP got $10 million and CSIS received $2 million.

The report also notes that the more migrants come in, the higher the cost to taxpayers because the delays add to the total cost on the system.

As of September 2018, there is a backlog of 64,929 asylum cases and 28,314 of those are irregular migrants.

That comes after close to two years of a spike in the number of irregular migrants walking across the border from the United States.

The RCMP first began collecting data on that spike in January 2017.

During the 2017-2018 fiscal year, the Immigration and Refugee Board could have handled hearing 24,000 cases per year but instead received 52,142, of which 23,215 of those were irregular migration claims.

The PBO also asked Quebec and Ontario for their assessments of costs, given those provinces are among the most directly impacted by the flow of irregular migrants.

Ontario estimated $200 million in costs the province says it has incurred per year from migrants, and officials told reporters on Thursday that seems like a reasonable assessment.

Quebec did not provide an estimate.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4710952/irregular-migration-pbo-report-cost/

Why is Immigration Important to Canada? - Infographic.pdf

Why is Immigration Important to Canada? - Infographic.jpg

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Jimmy irregular migrants hurt legal immigration.

there's nothing to back that up actually, in fact if I have time tomorrow between christmas prep I'll find you the quote from the feds where they say the numbers of regular immigrants are not effected at all. Its just not a big enough issue here yet. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

there's nothing to back that up actually, in fact if I have time tomorrow between christmas prep I'll find you the quote from the feds where they say the numbers of regular immigrants are not effected at all. Its just not a big enough issue here yet. 

The article states a major back log. When does it become a problem?

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

The article states a major back log. When does it become a problem?

thats an excellent question actually. When it actually effects the regular path folks i guess, I'd wager a guess at something like 60,000 per year maybe? 

I don't mind the irregular folks having to wait, thats part of the deal in getting a fair hearing on your case here imo. 

20 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

So what if a conservative government takes over after the next election ? What if pot were to become illegal again? If you bought it online would that information ever be used against you for maybe a travel ban ? That digital footprint is there.

Asking "for a friend"?B)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

So what if a conservative government takes over after the next election ? What if pot were to become illegal again? If you bought it online would that information ever be used against you for maybe a travel ban ? That digital footprint is there.

I highly doubt the cpc would change marijuana laws, just like they won't change gay marriage or abortion laws but as usual in politics there will always be fear mongering.

Christmas message from the Prime Minister. I will give credit where credit is due. It was a pretty good message. I'm happy he thanked the troops and their families. PM's always thank the troops in their Christmas message it's nice to see the tradition continue.

"Merry Christmas, Canada!

"Today, our family joins Christians across the country and around the world to celebrate the birth of Christ.

"It's a time to spread joy and cheer, appreciate our blessings, and honour traditions — whether that's opening presents, decorating the Christmas tree, sharing a meal together, or setting aside a couple of cookies for Santa.

"We're also well into winter, from coast to coast to coast — and here in Canada, we've always known how to smile through the cold days and long nights. This time of year, that Canadian spirit shines through most — because this season is about bringing light to the people around us.

"We also know this is a difficult time for some families. For Canadian Armed Forces members who are far from home, it's just one example of the many sacrifices you and your families make. We're thinking of you, and we're grateful for everything you do for Canadians.

"And we're thinking too of hardworking Canadian families who might be struggling to make ends meet this Christmas. Our government is working hard to make things a little easier for you — whether by putting the first ever National Housing Strategy into action, supporting seniors, or putting more money in the pockets of nine out of 10 families with the Canada Child Benefit.

"We will always stand with you, because that's what Canadians do. We pull together — with our families, our neighbours, and folks in need anywhere. We find strength in our differences, and celebrate everything we have in common. And we do our part to take care of each other, and make life better for the people around us. That's what Christmas — and Canada — is all about.

"This season and on into the new year, let's stand together, celebrate each other, and keep building a brighter future for all of us. From our family to yours, Sophie, Xavier, Ella-Grace, Hadrien, and I wish you joy, health, love, and peace this holiday season. Merry Christmas."

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Christmas message from the Prime Minister. I will give credit where credit is due. It was a pretty good message. I'm happy he thanked the troops and their families. PM's always thank the troops in their Christmas message it's nice to see the tradition continue.

"Merry Christmas, Canada!

"Today, our family joins Christians across the country and around the world to celebrate the birth of Christ.

"It's a time to spread joy and cheer, appreciate our blessings, and honour traditions — whether that's opening presents, decorating the Christmas tree, sharing a meal together, or setting aside a couple of cookies for Santa.

"We're also well into winter, from coast to coast to coast — and here in Canada, we've always known how to smile through the cold days and long nights. This time of year, that Canadian spirit shines through most — because this season is about bringing light to the people around us.

"We also know this is a difficult time for some families. For Canadian Armed Forces members who are far from home, it's just one example of the many sacrifices you and your families make. We're thinking of you, and we're grateful for everything you do for Canadians.

"And we're thinking too of hardworking Canadian families who might be struggling to make ends meet this Christmas. Our government is working hard to make things a little easier for you — whether by putting the first ever National Housing Strategy into action, supporting seniors, or putting more money in the pockets of nine out of 10 families with the Canada Child Benefit.

"We will always stand with you, because that's what Canadians do. We pull together — with our families, our neighbours, and folks in need anywhere. We find strength in our differences, and celebrate everything we have in common. And we do our part to take care of each other, and make life better for the people around us. That's what Christmas — and Canada — is all about.

"This season and on into the new year, let's stand together, celebrate each other, and keep building a brighter future for all of us. From our family to yours, Sophie, Xavier, Ella-Grace, Hadrien, and I wish you joy, health, love, and peace this holiday season. Merry Christmas."

Good message, but I still think, compared to his dad, ?this Trudeau is a punk.  His dad would kick his ass, and use him as a floor mop.  Maybe that’s the sign of the times, where our political leAders are all punks?  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good message, but I still think, compared to his dad, ?this Trudeau is a punk.  His dad would kick his ass, and use him as a floor mop.  Maybe that’s the sign of the times, where our political leAders are all punks?  

To be fair I think you feel anyone younger then 120 years old is a punk don't you?

Honestly I'm not a fan of either Trudeau.

• Cheers 1

On 12/24/2018 at 7:56 PM, 406in604 said:

Entering any country against their laws for immigration is never acceptable. 

having a law that doesn't work is even less acceptable.

Tomorrow if you pass a law that says picking your nose is a 50 dollar fine against hygene, its not an acceptable law, first and foremost because its not implementable. Same with migration related laws - i have zero tolerance for laws, no-matter how logical, cogent or ethical- if it cannot be enforced. 

5 hours ago, canuckistani said:

having a law that doesn't work is even less acceptable.

Tomorrow if you pass a law that says picking your nose is a 50 dollar fine against hygene, its not an acceptable law, first and foremost because its not implementable. Same with migration related laws - i have zero tolerance for laws, no-matter how logical, cogent or ethical- if it cannot be enforced. 

Sorry friend, you won't convince me that immigration laws do not work, no matter how many booger rules you want to make up. They work. 

On 12/22/2018 at 8:24 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Jimmy irregular migrants hurt legal immigration.

As someone who is a legal immigrant, can you explain to me how irregular migrants are hurting me ?!?
This is a two-parter question, ie, i wanna know how their dynamics/interests are conflicting to mine and i also wanna know how the irregular ones - who make up like 5-10% of Canada's immigration pie ( rest are regular/legal ones) have such disproportionate influence ?