The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 Winter Olympic Games Thread

CBH1926

Which country will win most medals  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Jocelyne Larocque took off her medal and kept it off during the handshakes.

I read about it this morning (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/rules-trump-emotion-as-canadian-womens-hockey-player-ordered-to-wear-silver-medal/article38062105/) Looks like she got a stern talking to by IIHF about some sort of legal obligation to wear the medal. :unsure: I feel for her, and it was certainly an emotional response to a crushing loss but if this was an American player I'd probably be calling her out for it. :(

7 minutes ago, ckamo said:

I read about it this morning (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/rules-trump-emotion-as-canadian-womens-hockey-player-ordered-to-wear-silver-medal/article38062105/) Looks like she got a stern talking to by IIHF about some sort of legal obligation to wear the medal. :unsure: I feel for her, and it was certainly an emotional response to a crushing loss but if this was an American player I'd probably be calling her out for it. :(

Did she throw her medal into the bleachers?  

Her teammates should have told her to put her medal on, and accept defeat, and to wear the medal every day for the next four years as motivation to train hard.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did she throw her medal into the bleachers?  

Her teammates should have told her to put her medal on, and accept defeat, and to wear the medal every day for the next four years as motivation to train hard.

Can't tell if rhetorical question, but no. She just held it in her hand because she didn't want to wear it.

Just now, ckamo said:

Can't tell if rhetorical question, but no. She just held it in her hand because she didn't want to wear it.

At the recent World Juniors a Swedish player, after losing badly to our Canadian boys in the Gold Medal game, tossed his Silver into the bleachers.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

At the recent World Juniors a Swedish player, after losing badly to our Canadian boys in the Gold Medal game, tossed his Silver into the bleachers.

Yeah I know. I wasn't sure if you were asking if she did the same. But yeah...at least she didn't do that....

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

A native makes the team and they just happen to be the worst player on the team? They just happen to not be able to skate? I wouldn't care if the whole team were native as long as they were the best players. From what I saw from this tournament she was on the team for one reason inclusiveness not for being the best player available.

You can argue all you want this is how society is going now. Instead of taking the best player, or person, available they go oh well we need to be more diverse here. Mens curling the guy is native. Do you hear me complaining about that? No, because he is the best of the best and deserves to be there.

there's more problems with womens hockey in Canada if sending only 6 defence women and then relying on your vets ,they might have patronised  lacquette ? maybe an attempt to motivate an under represented  segment of society? that aside,  hopefully that wasn't the best team that was available and that other players couldn't commit for reasons? the canucks patronized linden vey and admitted as such after his fathers storie came out , so it does happen.

The years without Wickenheiser on Canada's Olympic team, we lose silver. Otherwise, it's been Wickenheiser leading the way for us to gold.

I think coaching decisions factored into the game as well. You sit a defenceman for basically half the game and throw her out on the ice for a PP and expect her to play well? You're up 2-1 why are you shortening your bench? You should be rolling out all 4 lines, keep everyone fresh. Obviously not as much ice time to the 4th liners but they should still be playing at least one or two shifts in the 3rd period..

Also, if it were me, I would've made the decision during that timeout that if we don't get a goal and there's about 40 seconds left in the game, pull the goalie. Make it a 5 on 3 powerplay and go for the gold. Lots of room out there with that big rink. Get the extra skater out there and make it a 5 on 3. If it still goes to a shootout, at least we can say you tried.

8 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

The years without Wickenheiser on Canada's Olympic team, we lose silver. Otherwise, it's been Wickenheiser leading the way for us to gold.

I think coaching decisions factored into the game as well. You sit a defenceman for basically half the game and throw her out on the ice for a PP and expect her to play well? You're up 2-1 why are you shortening your bench? You should be rolling out all 4 lines, keep everyone fresh. Obviously not as much ice time to the 4th liners but they should still be playing at least one or two shifts in the 3rd period..

Also, if it were me, I would've made the decision during that timeout that if we don't get a goal and there's about 40 seconds left in the game, pull the goalie. Make it a 5 on 3 powerplay and go for the gold. Lots of room out there with that big rink. Get the extra skater out there and make it a 5 on 3. If it still goes to a shootout, at least we can say you tried.

Wick was on the 1998 team that won silver. This was the first women's Olympic hockey tournament without her, incredibly enough.

5 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Interesting strategy but if it backfired on her we'd all be calling for her head ;) 

I agree that coaching was a factor here. Hopefully she gets better with more experience but it doesn't appear that she has a great coaching record to begin with...granted I don't know much about college level hockey, maybe she did well with the program she had? :unsure: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Schuler

2 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

She was 19 at the time. Interestingly enough, Poulin was younger when she made her Olympic debut in 2010 at age 18.

Agosta was also pretty young when she had her olympic debut in Torino, turned 19 that day. Hard to believe that this was already her 4th olympic games.

Just to note, while we've been rehashing the women's game...

Kim Boutin won silver in 1,000m short track speed skating.  It's her 3rd medal of these games.

And Canada (Girard, Hamelin, Cournoyer and Dion) won bronze in the men's 5,000m relay.

And it looks like there's more medal opportunities tonight.

:gocan:

6 minutes ago, ckamo said:

Interesting strategy but if it backfired on her we'd all be calling for her head ;) 

I agree that coaching was a factor here. Hopefully she gets better with more experience but it doesn't appear that she has a great coaching record to begin with...granted I don't know much about college level hockey, maybe she did well with the program she had? :unsure: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Schuler

We had control of the puck around that time... Heck maybe even 50 seconds... We had control of the puck. Watch the replay of the entire game here and just watch the last minute of OT. 

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/todays-events/hockey-feb-women-final/

3 minutes ago, ckamo said:

Oh I believe you. But hindsight is also 20/20.

I suppose... I guess I was more or less hoping that coaching was more aggressive. You don't get to win Olympic gold every year... Conservative coaching most of the time will result in a loss and I've seen it happen in every sport, particularly hockey and football

Archived