The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] NHL linesman's $10.2M lawsuit against Calgary Flames, Dennis Wideman sent to (league) arbitration

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Hopefully this goes against the flames cap.

they should get fined $10 million just for playing in a giant saddle... but yah Wideman needs to pay up. I doubt its going to be anything close to the 10.2 tho. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

they should get fined $10 million just for playing in a giant saddle... but yah Wideman needs to pay up. I doubt its going to be anything close to the 10.2 tho. 

I would be surprised if he was paid out the 10 but I definitely understand why that's the ask.

Well, the amount would be for what the official would have made (both regular and post season?) for perhaps three decades worth of lost income from his NHL career, just as an NHL linesman. If he made $200,000 per year (an assumption made for ease of description) then that gives us $6,000,000. What would also have to be considered is that he may have moved up and become a referee, so there would be a potential paygrade increase on top of the basic amount.

So, we are left with $4,000,000 (not taking the potential referee income into account).

Does this guy do anything else in his life other than be an NHL official? Does he have an off ice/non-NHL job, and if so, has that been affected by the injury? What aspects of his life have changed due to the attack by Wideman? I suggest that $4,000,000 is a small amount in this circumstance, and I figure that the named defendants are probably lucky this isn't in an American court.

regards,  G.

I'm assuming the 10 million amounts to a 60/40 split of loss of existing + future wages @ 60% (6 million) and 40% loss of enjoyment of life (4 million).

Future wages also has to take into account future pensions etc. So let's say he's a very senior linesman, and he's making 250K+ per year from now until he retires at age 65 (Lawyers always like to take things on paper to the limit), whether he retires way earlier than that or not.

Henderson is 49 years old right now, that leaves in theory 16 working years until he can officially "retire".

16 years @ 250k = 4 million
Let's say that for every year he works, it earns him another year of pensionable income @ 125K/year, that's 2 million right there, for a sum of 6 million. 4 million for "loss of enjoyment of life" is basically pain and suffering which imo is probably just his lawyers putting the screws to the Flames and Wideman. I'd say 1, maybe 2 million for that for a total of 7-8 million.

10 million was them shooting for the moon, so they can settle on what they actually are willing to take.

6 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, the amount would be for what the official would have made (both regular and post season?) for perhaps three decades worth of lost income from his NHL career, just as an NHL linesman. If he made $200,000 per year (an assumption made for ease of description) then that gives us $6,000,000. What would also have to be considered is that he may have moved up and become a referee, so there would be a potential paygrade increase on top of the basic amount.

So, we are left with $4,000,000 (not taking the potential referee income into account).

Does this guy do anything else in his life other than be an NHL official? Does he have an off ice/non-NHL job, and if so, has that been affected by the injury? What aspects of his life have changed due to the attack by Wideman? I suggest that $4,000,000 is a small amount in this circumstance, and I figure that the named defendants are probably lucky this isn't in an American court.

regards,  G.

Henderson's 50 years old now... I would be INCREDIBLY impressed if he could ref an NHL game at 80... more likely he has a decade maybe 15 years left...

1 hour ago, Dral said:

Henderson's 50 years old now... I would be INCREDIBLY impressed if he could ref an NHL game at 80... more likely he has a decade maybe 15 years left...

Meh, clean living and he could do it.  :)

The point still remains that his employment within the NHL has to be taken into consideration, as well as any potential income outside of the NHL.

regards,  G.

What Wideman did was similiar to what Burt did. But worse because it was a ref. Both victims ending up with  life altering results. I hope the ref gets taken care of big time financially. He is missing out on a great career because of some bonehead. 

Archived