The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) What Does The Future Hold, How Long?

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Good for you, I have to work at evaluating the odds of things myself based on something alien to you, experience and thoughtful observation. Were you "just" a player?:) 

Haha - you had me at “thoughtful observation”.   

You really need to take this on the road.   Shortage of great stand up.  :lol:

17 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Edmonton Oilers had 22 players 24 and under their first year, year two they made the playoffs, year three they lost the semi's, year four they played for the cup, year five they won the cup and never looked back, a broke owner dismantled the team otherwise it may have been a record breaking power house for almost 20 years especially if they had the revenue sharing they do now.

UHHHH, kind of hard to compare the canucks to the Oilers of  late 70's or early 80's. Considering they had 2 of the top 3 offensive players of all time in Gretz and Mess. Not to mention the piles and piles of cocaine  

49 minutes ago, 420BEAR said:

UHHHH, kind of hard to compare the canucks to the Oilers of  late 70's or early 80's. Considering they had 2 of the top 3 offensive players of all time in Gretz and Mess. Not to mention the piles and piles of cocaine  

Shhh, apart from the pool thing that isn't talked about too much.

On 2018-03-13 at 2:22 PM, The Sedge said:

Those are all really good points, and I imagine that the current management group is already doing things very similar to what you just outlined.  The fact that they don't publicly come out and say it doesn't mean it's not being done.

Rumours are Linden said the r word.  Eww. I expect nothing but a contender every year no matter what.  Cue pout and Mike drop. Or is it done the other way?

On 2018-03-14 at 1:06 PM, 420BEAR said:

The cocaine was only for Fuhr.  Keenan found out and played him every game in STL, he didn't mind.

This team will be a bottom team next year and likely see its first big bump up the standings in 2019-2020.  Playoffs and learning curve the following year and maybe, if we are very lucky/good at the draft the next three years and with cap space, a top team in our division right around the time L.E. is done.  

The only thing that would acceralate that is if we draft superstars, and Demko is at least a top ten goalie in the NHL.  Maybe even that wont be enough .... Next year if we get Hughes, this year Dahlin for example.

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

This team will be a bottom team next year and likely see its first big bump up the standings in 2019-2020.  Playoffs and learning curve the following year and maybe, if we are very lucky/good at the draft the next three years and with cap space, a top team in our division right around the time L.E. is done.  

The only thing that would acceralate that is if we draft superstars, and Demko is at least a top ten goalie in the NHL.  Maybe even that wont be enough .... Next year if we get Hughes, this year Dahlin for example.

Sounds like Bettman doesn't like the way the draft is done now, changes may be coming this month or not. I am sure he would like to see the big US markets get re-tooled without becoming bottom teams. How does the bottom 10 teams all have the same odds sound? With a physics test required to figure out the draw?

Clearly right now the Canucks could end up at the very bottom for 2 seasons in row. 

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Sounds like Bettman doesn't like the way the draft is done now, changes may be coming this month or not. I am sure he would like to see the big US markets get re-tooled without becoming bottom teams. How does the bottom 10 teams all have the same odds sound? With a physics test required to figure out the draw?

Clearly right now the Canucks could end up at the very bottom for 2 seasons in row. 

source? 

16 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

GM meetings coming up. On agenda I believe.

interesting, thanks.Gary and the GMs can do whatever they want re: the format for the lotto.... I can't see massive changes for it but if its tweaked to stop penalizing teams that actually need talent the most that would be good.  

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, N7Nucks said:

Did you just casually suggest we trade Bo and Boeser? :huh:

Hardly casually, but they would get more back than given eventually.

Trading away a 2nd pick that ends up being nothing can't be any worse. The deal would be daring but helpful to the rebuild and reduce the time with getting more high end players overall.

There are no fixes without "pain".

On 16/03/2018 at 3:51 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

The system is out of wack. At least have it like the Nba. Wouldnt that be awesome if they changed it just before the draft. 

Screenshot_20180320-223245.png

10 hours ago, KKnight said:

The system is out of wack. At least have it like the Nba. Wouldnt that be awesome if they changed it just before the draft. 

Screenshot_20180320-223245.png

Still backwards, the bottom team's chances/odds should go up each pick from 25% to 35%, same with the 2nd worst. Until they create the way to eliminate tanking for a single year all leagues will have problems, especially leagues that still depend upon bums in seats.

Archived