The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

94 & 2011 SCF Run

Nucks89

23 hours ago, kloubek said:

While losing in the finals was heartbreaking, it was exciting hockey that the regular season or even early playoff series' can't match.  Absolutely I'm glad we've made it to the finals twice.  If we couldn't at least say that we did that, our historical "record" would be even worse.

Hey, don't take one of our 3 finals away.........all 3 were fun and exciting!

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Hey, don't take one of our 3 finals away.........all 3 were fun and exciting!

Oh yeah... guess there was the one with the Islanders.  Too long ago for me to remember... I didn't get into hockey until around '92.

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Uhm......82 was fun until we met one of the greatest teams of all time. lol

Yup, but we could have won the first game without Harold's giveaway to Bossy.......one game would have been enough for me and likely the rest of the fans at that time!

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Yup, but we could have won the first game without Harold's giveaway to Bossy.......one game would have been enough for me and likely the rest of the fans at that time!

Yeah, I guess I should have rephrased it. It was loads of fun until that brilliant pass.  

1982 we had no business being in the cup final a lot of luck happened to get to the finals and we were in game one till Harold snepts  handed the puck to mike bossy and then the dynasty took over , in 1994 we had a great team we had all the parts , a goalie that got hot made big timely saves , a big gritty team  a game breaker  a dman who could quarterback a powerplay and make those breakaway passes and we were a goalpost away from tying it up  but we didn't .that team had no quit  and then 2011 came ranked number 1 we played like a number one team during the season and then the playoffs come we barely beat Chicago ,  Nashville we beat but omg that was the most boring playoff hockey I ever saw , san jose  was hurt and then came boston  I thought we were gonna win the cup and instead aaron rome changed the series and woke up boston  and then the canucks gave boston a rally point and it was over from there   game 7 in 2011 is the only time I actually turned off a canucks playoff game they simply gave up

The Boston series was painful. As exciting as it was going to the finals the actual finals were horrible and humiliating after game 2. Interestingly I never had as much attachment to that team as I did the West Coast Express era. Would have been incredible to see Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Jovo, and Ohlund win a cup 

51 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Thomas: 40 saves on 40 shots. Lou: 23 saves on 27 shots.

Sorry can't win a game if you don't score, pretty simple. Game seven and a couple of 100 point players HOF's get shutout! Wow!

2 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

The Boston series was painful. As exciting as it was going to the finals the actual finals were horrible and humiliating after game 2. Interestingly I never had as much attachment to that team as I did the West Coast Express era. Would have been incredible to see Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Jovo, and Ohlund win a cup 

If we only had a goalie! Yeah Nazzy and Co. at least disserved to go the final at least once.

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Sorry can't win a game if you don't score, pretty simple. Game seven and a couple of 100 point players HOF's get shutout! Wow!

Sometimes a goalie just shuts you down. Unfortunately it was the wrong goalie doing it. Watch the game highlights and you'll see far more Thomas saves in the package than Lou saves. And the one time Thomas got beat that game Chara made the save. If we had under 20 shots in the game I might agree with you but we had 40. That's Thomas beating us. Thomas was fantastic in all 7 games. Lou was fantastic in 3. That's the difference. How'd Stamkos/Kutcherov do against Holtby in game 6 & 7? Wow!

29 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Sometimes a goalie just shuts you down. Unfortunately it was the wrong goalie doing it. Watch the game highlights and you'll see far more Thomas saves in the package than Lou saves. And the one time Thomas got beat that game Chara made the save. If we had under 20 shots in the game I might agree with you but we had 40. That's Thomas beating us. Thomas was fantastic in all 7 games. Lou was fantastic in 3. That's the difference. How'd Stamkos/Kutcherov do against Holtby in game 6 & 7? Wow!

Actually the shots were 37-21. I think Hank scored 1 goal and I think Danny had 1 too. Not enough in a seven game SC final from your Elite IMO.

9 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Actually the shots were 37-21. I think Hank scored 1 goal and I think Danny had 1 too. Not enough in a seven game SC final from your Elite IMO.

What did Bure do in game 7? I think you're being ridiculous about this. Thomas was 'on' the entire series. It happens. He won MVP for a reason after all. The guy set a record for saves in a Stanley cup final. Perhaps instead of blaming the Sedins you should be giving Thomas some credit.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎25 at 8:17 AM, Baggins said:

What did Bure do in game 7? I think you're being ridiculous about this. Thomas was 'on' the entire series. It happens. He won MVP for a reason after all. The guy set a record for saves in a Stanley cup final. Perhaps instead of blaming the Sedins you should be giving Thomas some credit.

Changing the subject now. Haha. I am not arguing the fact Thomas had a great series. If you are going to give him credit where credit is due you also cannot deny the fact that the Sedins were not "clutch" in that series and failed to provide the offense needed to win that series. To score almost ridiculously at will, especially on the PP, and then "dry up" when it really mattered, constitutes a "choke". Call a spade a spade and stop trying to sugar coat it. "Winners" don't make excuses and I have heard tons of them over the 17 or so seasons. Hopefully, those days are behind us and the new generation will change that old culture of "making excuses".

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Changing the subject now. Haha. I am not arguing the fact Thomas had a great series. If you are going to give him credit where credit is due you also cannot deny the fact that the Sedins were not "clutch" in that series and failed to provide the offense needed to win that series. To score almost ridiculously at will, especially on the PP, and then "dry up" when it really mattered, constitutes a "choke". Call a spade a spade and stop trying to sugar coat it. "Winners" don't make excuses and I have heard tons of them over the 17 or so seasons. Hopefully, those days are behind us and the new generation will change that old culture of "making excuses".

Well I don't tend to play the blame game. The Sedins got chances and Thomas shut the door. A record number of saves in a Stanley Cup final. I don't see that as a fluke or lack of effort on the Canucks part. And our PP that was great in the regular season was sporting Kesler playing with two injuries, Edler with broken fingers, Ehrhoff with a bunged shoulder and Henrik with a back injury. What you call excuses I call reality. Thomas was red hot and we were badly banged up. That's me calling a spade a spade.

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

Well I don't tend to play the blame game. The Sedins got chances and Thomas shut the door. A record number of saves in a Stanley Cup final. I don't see that as a fluke or lack of effort on the Canucks part. And our PP that was great in the regular season was sporting Kesler playing with two injuries, Edler with broken fingers, Ehrhoff with a bunged shoulder and Henrik with a back injury. What you call excuses I call reality. Thomas was red hot and we were badly banged up. That's me calling a spade a spade.

Some players just ignore all odds and come through and Linden scoring 2 goals with broken ribs in the Final comes to mind. Like I said, you can't talk about this without the excuses of why they didn't perform coming up. I watched the games and I believe the opportunity was there for their taking and they missed it. I also realize it is a team effort and they are not entirely the blame but they also bear the responsibility of being the "Leaders" as well and they need to wear that. 

Its all water under the bridge now and, like I said, I am excited for the "new" core to come out and hopefully not make the same mistakes those before them did. Mental toughness is real and an integral part of a professional hockey player and I see more of it now with this new group of young guys. Bright days are ahead, finally. ::D

9 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Some players just ignore all odds and come through and Linden scoring 2 goals with broken ribs in the Final comes to mind. Like I said, you can't talk about this without the excuses of why they didn't perform coming up. I watched the games and I believe the opportunity was there for their taking and they missed it. I also realize it is a team effort and they are not entirely the blame but they also bear the responsibility of being the "Leaders" as well and they need to wear that. 

Its all water under the bridge now and, like I said, I am excited for the "new" core to come out and hopefully not make the same mistakes those before them did. Mental toughness is real and an integral part of a professional hockey player and I see more of it now with this new group of young guys. Bright days are ahead, finally. ::D

Sure but how often does it happen? Stamkos and Kucherov got shutout in both games 6 & 7 to lose the eastern final. It's the type of thing that happens more often than Lindens situation. Goalies get hot. A star goalie gets hot and you're likely in trouble even healthy like Stamkos discovered. It happens. i don't blame the Sedins or any other player on the team. Thomas and the Bruins D came up big in that series and our vast array of injuries did nothing to help our cause.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:58 PM, apollo said:

No way. I can not speak for the 94 fans but the journey of 2011 was magical. I just got goosebumps thinking of that bending we put on the hawks. Series should have been 4-0 sweep had the refs not pulled all these strings. 

I don't think 2011 was magical. I mean they barely avoided a 3-0 series collapse. It took them six games to get rid of an inferior Preds team. They were gifted multiple 5 on 3's in game 4 in SJ. 

I think in the end it was a failure. You can't look at it any other way. They had a 2-0 series lead and proceeded to get blown out of the building the remaining games. 

Archived