The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

94 & 2011 SCF Run

Nucks89

On 02/06/2018 at 8:04 PM, Nucks89 said:

I don't think 2011 was magical. I mean they barely avoided a 3-0 series collapse. It took them six games to get rid of an inferior Preds team. They were gifted multiple 5 on 3's in game 4 in SJ. 

I think in the end it was a failure. You can't look at it any other way. They had a 2-0 series lead and proceeded to get blown out of the building the remaining games. 

Unfortunately i agree with most of this. Had they finished off the hawks and preds earlier it is very likely the team would have been less banged up overall and had more left in the tank in the finals.

94 was magical. 

On 03/06/2018 at 4:04 AM, Nucks89 said:

I don't think 2011 was magical. I mean they barely avoided a 3-0 series collapse. It took them six games to get rid of an inferior Preds team. They were gifted multiple 5 on 3's in game 4 in SJ. 

I think in the end it was a failure. You can't look at it any other way. They had a 2-0 series lead and proceeded to get blown out of the building the remaining games. 

Understand what you are saying, but It was as close to magical as it gets without winning... 

I may look at it differently, but I couldn't care less how they got to the final.

They got there, and I think we are many that miss the excitement of the 2011 run. Only god knows, when we get another chance...

Hopefully in the next 3-4 years we start to get close again...

On 6/2/2018 at 8:04 PM, Nucks89 said:

Wait what?! 

Series collapse? The NHL and refs interfered in all 7 games of that series... it's incredible that we won it. Had it been a fairly officiated series, it would have been a 4 game sweep of the pathetic blackhawks. 

Inferior Preds team? Yes they were because we were the best team in the NHL that year. Every team was inferior. 

Gifted 5 on 3s in game 4 vs SJ............. The canucks have NEVER got the benefit of a doubt vs any California team... EVER. So no clue what you're talking about. 

19 hours ago, apollo said:

Wait what?! 

Series collapse? The NHL and refs interfered in all 7 games of that series... it's incredible that we won it. Had it been a fairly officiated series, it would have been a 4 game sweep of the pathetic blackhawks. 

Inferior Preds team? Yes they were because we were the best team in the NHL that year. Every team was inferior. 

Gifted 5 on 3s in game 4 vs SJ............. The canucks have NEVER got the benefit of a doubt vs any California team... EVER. So no clue what you're talking about. 

The problem was they were not able to raise above the bad officiating and proceeded to go into "victim" mode and the "Leadership" on the team should have been able to overcome these obstacles. For a team that totally dominated going into the playoffs, they looked very shaky at times when it looked like "mental toughness" lacked at key times in games. Not enough players able to go "beast mode" when they really needed it.

Even though we lost, wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

The feeling, on a beautiful, sunny day of having a playoff game to rush home for was something special.  Barbecues on the deck and hockey on every TV in the house.

In '94, I went all out...whole place was decorated (had a living room shrine that I'd add to each game).  Had parties with food and friends...even baked a skate logo cake (candy corn came in handy).

I love going deep into the playoffs...the most meaningful games that are played.  The intensity, the courage and warhorse mentality (Linden, I'm looking at you).  NO regrets.  To this day, that feeling has remained....

On 05/18/2018 at 8:13 PM, Nucks89 said:

If someone told you ahead of time they would lose in game 7 of the SCF, would you have preferred the Canucks lost to Calgary & the Hawks in the first round respectively?

A fan will say that seeing their team win playoff games is memorable. Another will say it's too heartbreaking.

You?

I'd rather see the finals - mind you if they had lost to the Hawks we might not be in rebuild mode now.

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎05 at 6:19 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Fixed.

Yeah I try not to go down the "pity party" or "poor me" road. B) Kessler didn't and I expected others to follow but sadly that did not happen

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah I try not to go down the "pity party" or "poor me" road. B) Kessler didn't and I expected others to follow but sadly that did not happen

Well Kesler wasn't THAT good that you could play him on the blueline (though I know Bowman did put Federov on the blueline once).  You know you've got problems when Salo is your most healthy D man.

• 3 weeks later...

The 94 run was way more celebratory at its core because we weren't expected to be there in the final. We, as fans, were already ready to be disappointed. When we lost, the riots were a culmination of invested emotion out of disappointment. We were able to celebrate the run because we're weren't supposed to be there.

The 2011 run was way more angry in nature because we were expected to win the Stanley Cup. We, as fans, weren't ready to be disappointed (anymore), it was our year and we knew it. When we lost, the riots were a culmination of invested expectation that produced increased anger through disappointment. Fans were organically angry because we were supposed to win.

I'll take the 94 run any year. 

On 6/4/2018 at 12:19 PM, spook007 said:

Understand what you are saying, but It was as close to magical as it gets without winning... 

I may look at it differently, but I couldn't care less how they got to the final.

They got there, and I think we are many that miss the excitement of the 2011 run. Only god knows, when we get another chance...

Hopefully in the next 3-4 years we start to get close again...

There was a magical feeling to 82 and 94.  2011 was great and a lot of fun, but it was missing something that the other two runs had.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:13 PM, Nucks89 said:

If someone told you ahead of time they would lose in game 7 of the SCF, would you have preferred the Canucks lost to Calgary & the Hawks in the first round respectively?

A fan will say that seeing their team win playoff games is memorable. Another will say it's too heartbreaking.

You?

Anyone would rather not have had a run than have a run with a Game 7 loss is, to me, is the type of person who doesn't date because the relationship might end or who doesn't own a dog as it might die before they do.    Heartbreaks are part of life and sports - the highs mean nothing without the lows to provide the baseline.   I cannot say much about 1994 but the 2011 playoffs, including the Canuck run, are great memories that did include disappointment for Canuck fans but to not have experienced that just to avoid the disappointment?   No way.

Some will differ, but I would never trade life's chances at its greatest goals just to avoid the heartache of not quite getting there.   Whole concept seems odd to me.   :)

53 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

There was a magical feeling to 82 and 94.  2011 was great and a lot of fun, but it was missing something that the other two runs had.

1982 we never had a chance.  Oh there was a small chance ala Jim Carey "so you're telling me there's a chance" type of chance but it was so remote.  I felt better even when we had Ken Dryden against the Russians in 1972.  2011, we just ran out of healthy bodies.

That's no slight to that 1982 team.  It was just a less skilled version of the Las Vegas Golden Knights.  And instead of the Washington Capitals they faced, we face a team full of LEGIT HHOFers in their prime.

24 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

1982 we never had a chance.  Oh there was a small chance ala Jim Carey "so you're telling me there's a chance" type of chance but it was so remote.  I felt better even when we had Ken Dryden against the Russians in 1972.  2011, we just ran out of healthy bodies.

That's no slight to that 1982 team.  It was just a less skilled version of the Las Vegas Golden Knights.  And instead of the Washington Capitals they faced, we face a team full of LEGIT HHOFers in their prime.

But the magic was there.  Anything seemed possible with Richard Brodeur in net that year.  He captured lightning in a bottle the way Hextall did in '87, or Giguere that one year.  And game one against the Islanders was a close one.

Yes, the final was an unbelievable mismatch.  But that kind of highlighted how it took a bit of magic to get there in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

.Yes, the final was an unbelievable mismatch.  But that kind of highlighted how it took a bit of magic to get there in the firstplace.

Magic or luck?

If the Miracle on Manchester didn't happen, our hearts would've gotten broken later on.  I think another high ranking team got knocked out as well that year.

But even with that (good) luck - the big guy upstairs thought to play a practical joke on us (re: freak on injury season ending injury to our leader & Captain by his *OWN* teammate no less near the end of that regular season).

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Magic or luck?

If the Miracle on Manchester didn't happen, our hearts would've gotten broken later on.  I think another high ranking team got knocked out as well that year.

But even with that (good) luck - the big guy upstairs thought to play a practical joke on us (re: freak on injury season ending injury to our leader & Captain by his *OWN* teammate no less near the end of that regular season).

Miracle on Manchester was part of the magic.  Making the run without McCarthy was more of the improbable quirky history of it all (a.k.a. magic).  Having the head coach suspended for the playoffs and the assistant taking over (and becoming a legend) was part of it.

Towel power.  Miracle on Manchester.  King Richard.  Canuckmobile.

Magic.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Miracle on Manchester was part of the magic.  Making the run without McCarthy was more of the improbable quirky history of it all (a.k.a. magic).  Having the head coach suspended for the playoffs and the assistant taking over (and becoming a legend) was part of it.

Towel power.  Miracle on Manchester.  King Richard.  Canuckmobile.

Magic.

Unless I'm remembering it wrong (it was several decades ago after all....), didn't the Islanders themselves have a *bit* of a scare one round in that post-season year as well? 

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unless I'm remembering it wrong (it was several decades ago after all....), didn't the Islanders themselves have a *bit* of a scare one round in that post-season year as well? 

I wish I could tell you.  They won 19 playoff rounds in a row...must have had a BIT of tension in there somewhere.

Archived