The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2018-19 (2 positions available!)

canuck2xtreme

14 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

TRADE: The Columbus Blue Jackets have made a trade with the New Jersey Devils.

To CLB:
small.png BOS 2020 1st Round Draft Selection
small.png NJD 2020 1st Round Draft Selection

small.png LAK 2020 3rd Round Draft Selection

small.png ANA 2020 3rd Round Draft Selection

small.png NJD 2020 4th Round Draft Selection

small.png Laurent Dauphin

small.png Jordan Schmaltz

To NJD:
small.png Bryan Rust

small.png Jeff Schultz

small.png Roope Hintz

That's a LOT of futures for two guys who won't even be playing playoff hockey Mike :blink:

41 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

TRADE: The Columbus Blue Jackets have made a trade with the New Jersey Devils.

To CLB:
small.png BOS 2020 1st Round Draft Selection
small.png NJD 2020 1st Round Draft Selection

small.png LAK 2020 3rd Round Draft Selection

small.png ANA 2020 3rd Round Draft Selection

small.png NJD 2020 4th Round Draft Selection

small.png Laurent Dauphin

small.png Jordan Schmaltz

To NJD:
small.png Bryan Rust

small.png Jeff Schultz

small.png Roope Hintz

I hope that is Justin Schultz and not Jeff lol

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, OurTimeToShine said:

I hope that is Justin Schultz and not Jeff lol

It is indeed Justin Schultz. He just wanted to make him seem cooler by calling Jim Jeff. :P

CBJ appreciates Mike V and the NJ Devils for their on going communication with us. This trade in some form has been on going for the past 2 months. We are happy today we can inform our fans that the deal is done.

CBJ has a lot of work ahead and this was clearly a move for the future. It's not everyday you move a top pairing D man but when you are able to amass the talent on D we have at both the NHL and AHL levels it makes it a possibility.

CBJ will be exploring all trade fronts heading into this years trade deadline. We look forward to scouring over the buyers market. If there is a fit at the right age and term we could be willing to add at the expense of some of our draft picks. 

Thanks again to Mike, NJ, and all of you in GML!

• Cheers 1

I have to announce my departure from the GML today. Time constraints are pushing me in too many directions in this new year. I struggled to figure out what time would be best however I think that the more time before the draft, and even before the trade deadline that a new GM has, the better.  I wish you all the best of fortunes in this game and outside of it. Thank you to everyone over the years who put in time and effort to entertain us all, you are appreciated. 

Take care folks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

7 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I have to announce my departure from the GML today. Time constraints are pushing me in too many directions in this new year. I struggled to figure out what time would be best however I think that the more time before the draft, and even before the trade deadline that a new GM has, the better.  I wish you all the best of fortunes in this game and outside of it. Thank you to everyone over the years who put in time and effort to entertain us all, you are appreciated. 

Take care folks. 

Wow. Sad to see you go PO.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Take care folks. 

Miss you already man

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Another one!? :sadno: You'll be missed @Primal Optimist, here's hoping you have more time in the future to make a comeback.

In other 2hz7chs.jpg news...

Chara still available to those looking to make a push. COL can easily retain and/or take back salary to help contenders who are tight against the cap. If you're looking for an improvement with a playoff bound top 4, look no further.

Otherwise we're likely in holding pattern to see when guys like Nyquist, McQuaid etc moved IRL before teams are willing to bid on them. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

Take care folks. 

Sorry to hear this P.O. - it was a pleasure to meet you in person in the past and to work with you here.

Hopefully you choose to come back in the future.

Hope everything goes well!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

Take care folks. 

sad to see you go man. will miss you as my longtime rival at the bottom of the league :(

all the best for you  PO  .

Edited by Bombastik der Teutone
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

With regret, I too am resigning from my position.

It's not because others are, it's not because of how the league is run - I just can't get anyone to even contemplate making trades.

I sent out PMs to more than half the league last week, and barely half have even opened the message. People like Mike are making moves, but paying a ridiculous premium in doing so. I mean, that deal with Columbus is just plain stupid. I'm getting quoted absurd prices for middle six players, everyone is too attached to their draft picks from six years ago, and I'm stuck in limbo not being able to make moves ahead of the roster without sacrificing the future of the team.

As I won't do so, I leave the Vancouver Canucks to whoever is lucky enough to take them over. I also realise that this is without doubt my final time in GML, having left twice before, and so I thank you all for your cameraderie over the years, and wish you well in the future.

Cap'n out.

5 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

Take care folks. 

Sorry to hear PO - always looked forward to seeing your posts and enjoyed discussing deals with you.

Hope you can find your way back to us eventually

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I am pretty new around here I know that. I have managed to make around a dozen trades with like 8 different GMs. Trades may be difficult but they certainly are not impossible. 

The trade with Mike was about us both getting what we are after. Mike is trying to continue his winning streak and I am trying to start a rebuild.

We never got a chance to make a deal azzy which is unfortunate, I wish we could have. I can't speak for all of the GMs but I typically do get a response back rather quickly from most GMs. I'm saddened you feel leaving is the answer azzy. 

I wish you the best tho in your future league play on cdc. I'm sure we will see you around. Best of luck.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

Take care folks. 

Thank you for all your time given over the years PO, was a pleasure dealing with you and wish you the best moving forward. The door is always open. Take care

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

It's not because others are, it's not because of how the league is run - I just can't get anyone to even contemplate making trades.

I sent out PMs to more than half the league last week, and barely half have even opened the message. People like Mike are making moves, but paying a ridiculous premium in doing so. I mean, that deal with Columbus is just plain stupid. I'm getting quoted absurd prices for middle six players, everyone is too attached to their draft picks from six years ago, and I'm stuck in limbo not being able to make moves ahead of the roster without sacrificing the future of the team.

As I won't do so, I leave the Vancouver Canucks to whoever is lucky enough to take them over. I also realise that this is without doubt my final time in GML, having left twice before, and so I thank you all for your cameraderie over the years, and wish you well in the future.

Cap'n out.

Take care Cap'n, always a class act to deal with and much respect for you for sticking to your guns.

Dialogue among our members may not be such a bad thing here as the issue around player valuations and making trades has certainly played a role in tightening the amount of trades and the ability to spark talks with other teams. 

Theres a trend of hoarding prospects and ELC players while expecting astronomical returns on roster players. You can't pinpoint it solely on one thing but there are methods to each of our madness' as well here. 

For me, I always enjoy finding prospects via free agency while utilizing picks to solidify my roster come Playoff time. That has been my MO, has worked in past and yes the prices are insane, but you pay and take risk if you think you can attain the ultimate reward. Remember the point is winning, not staying in the bottom 1/3 of the League or building an all ELC team right. But to each their own.

It is not realistic in any way to be told the asking price on a top four defenseman is 3 x 1st round picks plus, or a lesser player 2 x 1st round picks plus. A player on a Playoff team, valued higher ok we get that but again, moving multiple 1sts for one player well as Cap'n suggested is plain stupid, wouldn't and shouldn't happen. I almost feel fortunate enough to have been able to gain multiple roster assets by expending my slew of picks, but yeah all for a shot at glory right.

42 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

I'm getting quoted absurd prices for middle six players, everyone is too attached to their draft picks from six years ago, and I'm stuck in limbo not being able to make moves ahead of the roster without sacrificing the future of the team.

To be fair, it's early days heading in to the TDL and an ask is not the same as a demand. All part of negotiations IMO. And without knowing details on the player (young, low $, long term deal on an IRL playoff team?), it's hard to say whether there's value there or not....

And to be fair, there comes a time where a contending team DOES need to sacrifice some future to make a final push for a cup run (or two or three hopefully) as Mike notes below:

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

For me, I always enjoy finding prospects via free agency while utilizing picks to solidify my roster come Playoff time. That has been my MO, has worked in past and yes the prices are insane, but you pay and take risk if you think you can attain the ultimate reward. Remember the point is winning, not staying in the bottom 1/3 of the League or building an all ELC team right. But to each their own.

43 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

Perhaps a breather before making any rash decisions...? :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Theres a trend of hoarding prospects and ELC players while expecting astronomical returns on roster players.

To be fair, that fairly closely mirrors real life. Particularly with bridge deals dwindling and 30 being the new '35', young players have never been more important or valued both in GML and IRL.

But as you noted above, you've got to give to get and if you've got a bunch of mid 20's guys high in your pool points and some kids to spare to make a push...

58 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

Cap'n out.

oh man ...what a sad day for the GML. 

Another good guy leave the league ...pretty tough :(

al lthe best captain and see you in the other leagues 

I'll definitely agree that the ask on many players seems a bit absurd, especially given that some of them are rentals, pending UFAs at the end of the season.  When I offered up Sidney Crosby last season, the few people that did show interest offered me the kind of package I'd be leery about parting with a 3rd line player for, let alone the best player in the world.  When I pointed this out, I was told, 'he's a pending UFA'.  Yet when I inquire about rentals, the ask is very substantial.  It's definitely frustrating.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm more than willing to listen.  I'm always wanting to improve the experience and certain areas seem to have gotten bogged down lately. I'm open to ideas.

7 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

I'll definitely agree that the ask on many players seems a bit absurd, especially given that some of them are rentals, pending UFAs at the end of the season.  When I offered up Sidney Crosby last season, the few people that did show interest offered me the kind of package I'd be leery about parting with a 3rd line player for, let alone the best player in the world.  When I pointed this out, I was told, 'he's a pending UFA'.  Yet when I inquire about rentals, the ask is very substantial.  It's definitely frustrating.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm more than willing to listen.  I'm always wanting to improve the experience and certain areas seem to have gotten bogged down lately. I'm open to ideas.

I think a good starting point would be to ask all 31 GM’s “Can/will you respond to a message from another GM within 48 hrs?” I would assume everyone has internet access on their phone so I would say 48 hrs is a reasonable response time. If you can’t then maybe this isn’t the pool for you. I don’t mean to come off as a dick but I don’t think it’s that unreasonable. 

I personally open open up the thread a couple times in the day and if I have a personal msg it lets me know right away. It takes less than a minute to check. 

Thoughts?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1