The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

He'll have an adjustment period.  But once that's over and he's adjusted to the pace and capabilities of NHL players it will be game on.  One more season in college will likely make that adjustment a bit easier.

I am all good about him returning to college...for many reason's ...but...I really don't think it is going to be that big an adjustment for him next year....nor this year on offence....

If that had been Edler that he tried to initially beat with the puck between the stick and the body trick...well that would have worked just like it did.

The rest of the move was NHL speed and only a Price or Fleury anticipating the backpass could have had any chance on the finish pass to the scorer...

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Here she be:

And from ice level:

That's the Quinn Hughes that I was so unbelievably happy we got. The confidence and ability to pull that off are what makes him so unique and exciting. 

He'll likely be relied upon as the offensive catalyst from the back end for the US so hopefully he can make plays like that and put up points when the WJC starts. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/31/2018 at 4:58 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ouch.

Perhaps these glaring defensive issues are why he fell to 7? Can't be a defenseman in the NHL if you can't play defense. Kinda why I was leaning towards either Dobson or Bouchard at the draft.

Oh well, spilt milk now.

I think his defense will be good enough. He is too smart and too fast not to be able to learn how to defend in the NHL. I think most scouts and most people who watch the game on a somewhat regular basis put Hughes as a tier ahead of Dobson or Bouchard. Hughes' dynamic offensive ability and skating makes up for and beyond his average defensive play. Would have been quite a number of disgruntled fans if we passed on Hughes at the draft.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Boqvist was #3...he played alright but no big rushes, they used him 4 on 4 all the time but even then he just passed the puck instead of skating it up....

Thanks, missed him looking over the roster.

Speaking of, while I was focused on the US team, the Hughes brothers were certainly the most noticeable, especially when playing together.  Wahlstrom and Farabee looked decent, but didn't really see much from Tkachuk that stood out.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That's the Quinn Hughes that I was so unbelievably happy we got. The confidence and ability to pull that off are what makes him so unique and exciting. 

He'll likely be relied upon as the offensive catalyst from the back end for the US so hopefully he can make plays like that and put up points when the WJC starts. 

One of the first members of the dark side you are. Lol

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I hope you are prepared to eat those words if we are  still in playoff contention in March....

That is what I see happening...

We were a playoff team in December last year and we won 8 of our last 10 games of the year.

This year we will be better by a wide margin as long as we don't have a massive injury list....!

Let's revisit both of our posts at the end of next season. Don't use some cop out BS excuses (injuries, etc.) 

I say this team is a bottom 10 team without a doubt. You say this team will be in playoff contention. Let's see how the chips fall. 

Edited by Maketherightmove

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Let's revisit both of our posts at the end of next season. Don't use some cop out BS excuses (injuries, etc.) 

I say this team is a bottom 10 team without a doubt. You say this team will be in playoff contention. Let's see how the chips fall. 

And let us keep this to a Quinn Hughes thread instead of somebody hijacking it.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

Not when we're both making wayyyyyyyy to early pre-season predictions. 

If we are taking stances 2+ months before the season even starts, then you have to take a stand not dance around it.

Or you could ignore it. People are gonna hyped about their teams all the time. Doesn't mean that we have to go 10 plus pages of people arguing about the canucks playoff chances in a prospect thread. If you want to do that, then I am sure there is a thread for you, but I am here to talk about Hughes.

• Wat 1

16 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Not when we're both making wayyyyyyyy to early pre-season predictions. 

If we are taking stances 2+ months before the season even starts, then you have to take a stand not dance around it.

Sure man. So what do you think about Quinn going back to school? Is it good or bad for his development?

11 minutes ago, Isam said:

Do you think a potential Wilde Hughes pairing might hinder his development or speed it up.^

Oh $&!#. I was wrong Wilde is going to Saginaw. So who will be Hughes partner for this season with the wolverines?

52 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Speaking of, while I was focused on the US team, the Hughes brothers were certainly the most noticeable, especially when playing together.  Wahlstrom and Farabee looked decent, but didn't really see much from Tkachuk that stood out.

Quinn Hughes was by far the best player on the ice.  His brother was decent, but had problems dealing with physical play along the boards.  Tkachuk got a roughing minor.

Well this looks like we stole another player at the draft. It won't take long for Huges to make 6 other teams wonder how he got by their scouts. Size aside, because I have seen smaller D-men passed on at the draft, But I have not seen many as mobile and shifty as Quinn. Quinn playing in college last year brought his stats down a Quin and Brock is an unbelievable building base. I see why the Media is all over the Canucks because its pure jealousy.

• Upvote 4