The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin to Flames for Dougie Hamilton, Micheal Ferland, Adam Fox

1 hour ago, wiseupsucker said:

I still think that Ferland is "that" depth playoff performer that every team needs to go deep into the playoffs. You know the "average" regular season guy that excels during a deep run. It's not so much that I think he will do that in Carolina - because they are not going to be contenders anytime soon - but I'm happy that a turd team like Calgary lost him :lol:

He disappeared in the Ducks series.

Imo the biggest win for the Canes is if they can get Fox to sign.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1

• 3 months later...

Pretty comparable numbers after a small 10 game sample with their new teams.

Both these forwards lead their new teams in goal scoring.

Ferland with 6 in 10 games - also leads the Hurricanes in hits with 28.

Lindholm with 7 goals in 11 games - leads the Lames in faceoff wins and % at 57.7%

They both also have pretty solid 'underlying' numbers - Ferland with 55.3% ozone starts and 58.3% corsi, Lindholm with 47.6% ozone starts and 50.9% corsi.

Hamilton with 1 goal and 3 assists through 10 games probably not quite what Carolina was hoping/expecting - but still early.

Hanifiin with a pair of assists - not bad considering he has the lowest ozone starts on the Lames.  A bit surprising that he's playing slightly more minutes than Hamilton at this stage.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Who would have thought that the two best players in this trade was Lindholm for Ferland, lmfao.

Ferland is ripping it up in Carolina, same for Lindholm in Calgary. I've got both in my pool. I also have Hamilton but he's had a slow start. I had Hanifin too but he is off to an even slower start than Hamilton is.

17 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Who would have thought that the two best players in this trade was Lindholm for Ferland, lmfao.

Ferland is ripping it up in Carolina, same for Lindholm in Calgary. I've got both in my pool. I also have Hamilton but he's had a slow start. I had Hanifin too but he is off to an even slower start than Hamilton is.

Ferland is a rare player, you just don't find those easily. He is like a hybrid of Tom Wilson and Brad Marchand. Somehow he can walk the line, even stepping over without being punished and his offensive game has improved every year. The player I wish virtanen could be. I don't doubt at all that he would have been the main target for Waddel and tough for the flames to part with.

Both teams seem happy thus far but if Carolina can sign fox they win this deal for sure.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, coryberg said:

Ferland is a rare player, you just don't find those easily. He is like a hybrid of Tom Wilson and Brad Marchand. Somehow he can walk the line, even stepping over without being punished and his offensive game has improved every year. The player I wish virtanen could be. I don't doubt at all that he would have been the main target for Waddel and tough for the flames to part with.

Both teams seem happy thus far but if Carolina can sign fox they win this deal for sure.

Totally impressed with Ferlund the playoff round that he slapped the Canucks around. Obvious he was willing to do what it took to stay in the NHL. He probably convinced the Canucks that, yes, a rebuild was actually needed.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Ouch.

Lindholm leading the Flames with 21 pts (20 games).

Leads the Flames at 57.6% in the faceoff circle.

16 takeaways, 7 giveaways +9

Hanifin matching Dougie Ham's 7 pts, playing harder minutes....

Ferland has 14 points in 20 games (3rd in team scoring) and adds a physical element to "protect" Aho if needed. Calgary has a bit of an edge in current production, but Carolina didn't want to spend the money and saved themselves a couple of million in salary. Carolina also got the wild card in Adam Fox. I have to say the trade hasn't been bad for both sides so far.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Ferland has 14 points in 20 games (3rd in team scoring) and adds a physical element to "protect" Aho if needed. Calgary has a bit of an edge in current production, but Carolina didn't want to spend the money and saved themselves a couple of million in salary. Carolina also got the wild card in Adam Fox. I have to say the trade hasn't been bad for both sides so far.

The flames have a ppg player signed to a very good contract. Both Fox and Ferland will likely walk.

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

Ouch.

Lindholm leading the Flames with 21 pts (20 games).

Leads the Flames at 57.6% in the faceoff circle.

16 takeaways, 7 giveaways +9

Hanifin matching Dougie Ham's 7 pts, playing harder minutes....

I get your point and Elias has been great for the flames but Monahan, Gudreau and Tkachuk have more points.

• Upvote 1

Need to see what happens with Fox. He's had a stellar start to his season thus far and may just win the Hobey Baker this year. He will have to stay another year on top of this one if he wants to be a FA. That doesn't come without a cost, he can always complete his degree later. I think it's far from a certainty that he is headed the Jimmy Vesey route.

27 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The flames have a ppg player signed to a very good contract. Both Fox and Ferland will likely walk.

There's a possibility those guys could walk, but I don't see how it is likely that they will just yet. Ferland may want to hit the open market to get a pay day (we could certainly use a player of his mold in our top 6), but maybe he enjoys his time in Carolina and calls it home. He's getting top 6 minutes and likely no one knows him there or will bother him. As for Fox, it's questionable what his intentions are, but if he signs with them, then the trade could even up even more and possibly lean more towards Carolina's way if he comes as advertised.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:58 PM, theo5789 said:

Watched some of the Carolina vs Laffers. Really impressed with the Carolina team. Big and fast. Liked Ferland from the Canuck series which seems like 100 years ago. Liked his desire as it was obvious he would do whatever it took to stick in the NHL. Up and down kinda player who loves in front of the net. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Watched some of the Carolina vs Laffers. Really impressed with the Carolina team. Big and fast. Liked Ferland from the Canuck series which seems like 100 years ago. Liked his desire as it was obvious he would do whatever it took to stick in the NHL. Up and down kinda player who loves in front of the net. 

Yeah they're playing like a team this year much like Vegas last year and doing decently despite being the bottom cap spenders. This was suppose to be a rebuild year for them and they're performing above expectations.

I hated Ferland in the Canuck series, but that's because we didn't have an answer for him. He's no Bertuzzi or anything, but he's certainly can play big if he wants to, has the hands for the top 6 and more importantly has the speed to play in today's NHL. I'm curious if he's looking to stay in Carolina because he seems like a player I would be interested as a UFA at the right price (4 million or less in cap is fine with me, but if he keeps his pace, he could cash in this off season).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Yeah they're playing like a team this year much like Vegas last year and doing decently despite being the bottom cap spenders. This was suppose to be a rebuild year for them and they're performing above expectations.

I hated Ferland in the Canuck series, but that's because we didn't have an answer for him. He's no Bertuzzi or anything, but he's certainly can play big if he wants to, has the hands for the top 6 and more importantly has the speed to play in today's NHL. I'm curious if he's looking to stay in Carolina because he seems like a player I would be interested as a UFA at the right price (4 million or less in cap is fine with me, but if he keeps his pace, he could cash in this off season).

Not really.   Ron Francis set that franchise up quite nicely - they're expecting to 'win now' - and by all indications of the owner, that was his first priority.

Don't like the owner and don't like the dismissal of Francis - but not really that surprised that team is doing well - despite what I consider an odd move on their part to let go of both Hanifin and Lindholm (which is not a shot at Ferland, but he simply doesn't and won't have Lindholm's value moving forward - and additionally is an expiring contract / UFA next summer).    I also won't be surprised if Dougie Hamilton is exposed as over-rated in Carolina. 

Edited by oldnews

• 1 month later...

The wild card Adam fox is having quite the year... 20 points in 11 games on the back end at Harvard. 

“I know people think I have some plan to sign with the Rangers because of where I grew up,” Fox said. “But my dream, my goal, is to play in the NHL. As soon as possible.”

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Lindholm 41 pts

Hanifin 16

Ferland 17

Hamilton 10.

Lindholm has been great. His contract is looking like a steal.

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

The wild card Adam fox is having quite the year... 20 points in 11 games on the back end at Harvard. 

“I know people think I have some plan to sign with the Rangers because of where I grew up,” Fox said. “But my dream, my goal, is to play in the NHL. As soon as possible.”

Fox will have to be a top 2 dman for Carolina for this deal to even out.