The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, Bilbro Baggins said:

Rick Dhaliwal said on 650 this morning he has heard the Canucks covet Philip Broberg at 10.  Said he also heard that Edmonton is very keen on him as well so he may not make it to our pick.  Take that for what it’s worth

I'd like to get Broberg, because he's already playing against men, he has size and speed, and is a type of player the Canucks don't currently have. His presence could be known in the playoffs, as he plays a physical, fast game. A future Broberg - Hughes pairing would be nice. EDM may take him at #8 though, as they also need D that can play soon. They might be thinking a Broberg - Bouchard pairing. If Broberg is gone, I wouldn't mind Seider, but he concerns me too. He's had some injury woes, and was put out again in the Worlds.

I'm thinking if Broberg is gone by #10, go with a forward (Krebs, Boldy, Zegras) and then take a D with the 2nd (Vlasic, Thomson, Korczak) and 3rd (Thrun, Helleson, Spence).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

In order of preference I wouldn't mind seeing:

Priority #1:  Best defenceman available at #10

Priority #2:  Not Caufield or Newhook

Priority #3:  Anyone else is fine. 

Seider, Harley, and Broberg would all look good in a Canucks sweater, especially if Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Turcotte, and Zegras are all gone. 

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'd like to get Broberg, because he's already playing against men, he has size and speed, and is a type of player the Canucks don't currently have. His presence could be known in the playoffs, as he plays a physical, fast game. A future Broberg - Hughes pairing would be nice. EDM may take him at #8 though, as they also need D that can play soon. They might be thinking a Broberg - Bouchard pairing. If Broberg is gone, I wouldn't mind Seider, but he concerns me too. He's had some injury woes, and was put out again in the Worlds.

I'm thinking if Broberg is gone by #10, go with a forward (Krebs, Boldy, Zegras) and then take a D with the 2nd (Vlasic, Thomson, Korczak) and 3rd (Thrun, Helleson, Spence).

Actually this does concern me and hence why I think Seider will "fall" to mid half of 1st now. 2 shoulder injuries and a concussion do not look good for his future outlook. Injuries scare the crap out of me when it comes to draft eligibles. Look at Gabe Vilardi as a recent example who had injuries in his draft year his D+1 and now his D+2. 

As for Broberg his "mistakes" are concerning but he is still only 17 and may take an extra year to develop that area of his game. If he ever figures it out he will be a game changer at the NHL level with a floor of second pairing defender. Of course it's a big "if" but that's the risk you take atwhen drafting at 10 vs 3-5.

• Upvote 1

What are thoughts on: if Spencer Knight falls to #40? TBH, I'm still not sold on DiPietro, due to his lack of size. So much open net. He's an athletic goaltender, but the NHL is so fast. I'm not sure how he would do, considering he got lit up in his debut last year. Sure, he is young still, but will he grow?

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

In order of preference I wouldn't mind seeing:

Priority #1:  Best defenceman available at #10

Priority #2:  Not Caufield or Newhook

Priority #3:  Anyone else is fine. 

Defense is certainly a need for this team but so is more depth in the top 6-9 forward positions.

My feeling is that this year does not have enough upside with the defensemen available at 10.

I would take the topped ranked forward at 10. Be that Zegras, Boldy or Krebs. I think Cozens, Dach and Turcotte will be gone by 10 and I agree that Caufield does not have the top speed that smallish forwards need to be drafted at this position. I think Newhook is a bit of a darkhorse that could be boom or bust so I am not sure on him.

My gut is that either one of Boldy, Zegras of Krebs will be there at 10. I would take whichever one is there.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Benning smokescreen....

Benning & smokescreen that really goes against the grain .

Must be in another universe.

Benning has a preference for swedish players because of the great selection he and his team made with Pettersson or that a swede in Gradin is part of the scouting team.

I can't believe that this is really a smokescreen..... 

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What are thoughts on: if Spencer Knight falls to #40? TBH, I'm still not sold on DiPietro, due to his lack of size. So much open net. He's an athletic goaltender, but the NHL is so fast. I'm not sure how he would do, considering he got lit up in his debut last year. Sure, he is young still, but will he grow?

Take Knight & run.

Id be surprised if he doesnt go first round though. He could be the best goalie prospect to come along since Vasilevsky.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Take Knight & run.

Id be surprised if he doesnt go first round though. He could be the best goalie prospect to come along since Vasilevsky.

I agree, I think he's ranked around #25-#31 or so, but if teams pass because they don't want to take a goalie early, then he could fall? Not sure if that would be a waste pick though, if they feel DiPietro could do something down the road. Then again, if he has success in the AHL, maybe he would be trade bait?

A Demko/Knight duo sounds good to me though.

29 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Actually this does concern me and hence why I think Seider will "fall" to mid half of 1st now. 2 shoulder injuries and a concussion do not look good for his future outlook. Injuries scare the crap out of me when it comes to draft eligibles. Look at Gabe Vilardi as a recent example who had injuries in his draft year his D+1 and now his D+2. 

As for Broberg his "mistakes" are concerning but he is still only 17 and may take an extra year to develop that area of his game. If he ever figures it out he will be a game changer at the NHL level with a floor of second pairing defender. Of course it's a big "if" but that's the risk you take atwhen drafting at 10 vs 3-5.

It is hard to predict Broberg’s future. The player has all the talent needed to become a major piece of an NHL organization, but with the trouble he has had adapting in the second division in Sweden means that question marks linger.

He will not be ready for the NHL for a couple of years, but who is to say that he cannot become a very good — even the best — defensive player in his draft class? It will take time, and the club that drafts him will have to be patient, yet persistent, with his development.

Let's assume that this hockey analyst is right and Broberg needs a couple of years to become a NHL D-Man.

Let's make a quick comparison - high level only -

Broberg:

- LHD

- long term project with bust potential

- couple of years away

- same upside as Seider

- size, skating identical to size, skating of Seider

Seider

- RHD, fills a positional need

- NHL ready at the beginning of the 2019/2020 campaign

- safest bet according to a European scouting service which has been scouting him for more than 3 years

- playoff proven

- plays at the highest international level at the age of 18

- same upside as Broberg

- identical size, skating as Broberg

------> pretty easy decision from my point of view.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Benning & smokescreen that really goes against the grain .

Must be in another universe.

Benning has a preference for swedish players because of the great selection he and his team made with Pettersson or that a swede in Gradin is part of the scouting team.

I can't believe that this is really a smokescreen..... 

He appears simple ...but why would any GM leak hints about who he likes if it wasn't a smokescreen...it just makes no sense to do that.

If Broberg turns out to be slow at developing aka Virtanen...Benning's time here will have come and gone by the time he is ready.

I do think Jake is going to be a really good player, but it may take another year or 2 to really sink in what it takes to be that player.

Broberg may end up being the pick but the more I hear that is who they are leaning towards the more I feel a smokescreen...

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If he falls that far, you take him. We can always trade a goalie in the future to fill a team need.

I'm not concerned about his debut and he seems to learn through adversity which is something he likely has faced being a "smaller" goalie. When DiPietro got injured in the playoffs, his team fell apart and was knocked out in 4 straight games. It's juniors, but he made a difference even being on a stacked team. This is no guarantee that he will take it to the next level at the NHL level either, but I haven't lost any confidence in him yet. But I would still take Knight at #40 simply because he's likely the BPA at that point.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

He appears simple ...but why would any GM leak hints about who he likes if it wasn't a smokescreen...it just makes no sense to do that.

If Broberg turns out to be slow at developing aka Virtanen...Benning's time here will have come and gone by the time he is ready.

I do think Jake is going to be a really good player, but it may take another year or 2 to really sink in what it takes to be that player.

Broberg may end up being the pick but the more I hear that is who they are leaning towards the more I feel a smokescreen...

agree 100%.

Makes zero sense to state it publicly what player they want with their 1st round pick. 

• Cheers 1

Ticketmaster is total GARBAGE.  I was on right at 10, had seats selected, and every time as soon as I went to checkout it was OOPS, SOMEONE HAS THEM.  Then why could I select them.  F ing jokeee.  Stubhub, over $150 U.S.  GTFO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Are those two shoulder surgeries confirmed? If so how recent were they? 

Seider would be a perfect fit and compliment our group really well, but after Juolevi and arguably Virtanen I don't want to mess around with health. 

I'd like to be at the Draft, just to "boo" Bettman in person lol but I get so much more from watching on TV at home, the interviews, the build up and discussion of picks and commentary etc.

Benning might not get another 1st for this Draft, but he might get a player with the 2nd who could've gone in the 1st. :) (hoping)

#10 - (C/LW) Peyton Krebs or (LW) Matthew Boldy

#40 - (G) Spencer Knight

#71 - (RD) Drew Helleson

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, I think he's ranked around #25-#31 or so, but if teams pass because they don't want to take a goalie early, then he could fall? Not sure if that would be a waste pick though, if they feel DiPietro could do something down the road. Then again, if he has success in the AHL, maybe he would be trade bait?

A Demko/Knight duo sounds good to me though.

IIRC in the TSN/McKenzie list Knight was T-15. Ive thought of him more of a 10-20. Basically mid first than late 1st.

Knight is more highly touted than Demko or Dipietro were. Having them shouldnt prevent us from taking Knight. But unless we take him 10th he wont be a Canuck.

18 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Are those two shoulder surgeries confirmed? If so how recent were they? 

Seider would be a perfect fit and compliment our group really well, but after Juolevi and arguably Virtanen I don't want to mess around with health. 

he sustained a shoulder injury in the midst of the regular season (December or January). He returned too early and injured the same shoulder again. He came back very strong and had a hell of a playoff series.

• Upvote 1