The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

8 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

We don't have a ton of depth down the middle....

Benning strikes again.... If that is not a jab from Cull toward Canuck management. I don't know what is...... Darcy and Woods as your #3 and 4 centers... What a joke.....

Edited by Connor comet
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

Benning strikes again.... If that is not a jab from Cull toward Canuck management. I don't know what is...... Darcy and Woods as your #3 and 4 centers... What a joke.....

But if the prospects on the wing are really that good they don't quality centers or so I hear. Time to see how good these young wingers really are.

2 hours ago, Connor comet said:

Well if they were that short of centres, why is one of their best sitting on the wing on their 4th line?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

Well when the head coach of your AHL team tells media that the team has not much  depth at center, that's an issue.  

I see this more as a complaint they let Cassels walk then about Gagner though.  The developing defensive center seems to be the missing piece to me.  

18 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

I count 6 centers on that team I think this is media driven bull crap 

You are confusing Utica media with Vancouver media. The Utica media are all an extension of the Comets PR department and never have anything critical to say about the team. The OD was simply reporting a direct quote from Trent Cull.

7 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I see this more as a complaint they let Cassels walk then about Gagner though.  The developing defensive center seems to be the missing piece to me.  

I don't think it was directed at Gagner or Cassels just stating an opinion that with Wacey Hamilton injured the Comets don't have much depth at center. This is the head coach saying this not just us Comets fans who have been saying this for years now.

12 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

You are confusing Utica media with Vancouver media. The Utica media are all an extension of the Comets PR department and never have anything critical to say about the team. The OD was simply reporting a direct quote from Trent Cull.

So its Cull complaining about what, that he cant make things work sounds like you comet fans are a lot like the canucks fans complain over nothing lets see the boys play first. you may be surprised . complaining about your team depth to the  media doesn't win you any friends on your team or with management , Last I looked the AHL was a development league ,so develop a center or find a new job.

• Upvote 1

IMO; there are  nine potential centers on the Comets: Kero, Darcy, Hamilton, Gaudette, Gaunce, Mac Master, Mac Ewen, Dahlen and Woods. They have all played center at some point in their careers. How Vancouver and the Comets choose to use them is what is up for discussion in this thread. Are they all high end C's; not by a long shot but as Vannuck59 stated: The AHL is a developmental league.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
spelling error

35 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

So its Cull complaining about what, that he cant make things work sounds like you comet fans are a lot like the canucks fans complain over nothing lets see the boys play first. you may be surprised . complaining about your team depth to the  media doesn't win you any friends on your team or with management , Last I looked the AHL was a development league ,so develop a center or find a new job.

When was the last time Vancouver successfully developed a center in the AHL?  Serious question because I don't know. None that I can remember in the five previous seasons in Utica.  (Gaunce is a wing now so what he played in juniors doesn't matter). Were any developed in Chicago? The Moose other than Kesler?  Maybe I'm missing some others so please let me know.

Edited by UticaHockey

13 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

When was the last time Vancouver successfully developed a center in the AHL?  Serious question because I don't know. None that I can remember in the five previous seasons in Utica.  (Gaunce is a wing now so what he played in juniors doesn't matter). Were any developed in Chicago? The Moose other than Kesler?  Maybe I'm missing some others so please let me know.

Kesler was the last prospect successfully developed as a center while with the AHL Moose.  Its been awhile.  I think Gaudette will be the next... 

15 minutes ago, Rodishred said:

Kesler was the last prospect successfully developed as a center while with the AHL Moose.  Its been awhile.  I think Gaudette will be the next... 

The number of centers drafted and developed into bonafide NHL'ers by the Vancouver Canucks over the course of their history is abysmal to say the least. Only ones that come to mind are Kesler, Linden, H. Sedin and Bo Horvat. It is my hope that JB  and the coaches at both the AHL and NHL levels, can do a better job of development of drafted centers going forward. Pettersson looks like he will be a good center and I have hopes that Gaudette will too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IMO; there are  nine potential centers on the Comets: Kero, Darcy, Hamilton, Gaudette, Gaunce, Mac Master, Mac Ewen, Dahlen and Woods. They have all played center at some point in their careers. How Vancouver and the Comets choose to use them is what is up for discussion in this thread. Are they all high end C's; not by a long shot but as Vannuck59 stated: The AHL is a developmental league.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Let's face the facts, the top 2 Playmaking Centers on this team right now are Gaudette and Mac Master whom between them have about a dozen games between them of AHL  experience ???  Hell if we go back to PEE Wee or Atoms, I'm sure almost every player in the league saw time at Center. That does not mean the can do it at this level.  I think the statement is more about the lack of AHL centers and having 79 guys that are wingers...... The wild Card for me is Kero, who should be this teams #1 Center at this point. but apparently, the coach doesn't see it that way..... I just thought it was an Odd statement to make from an AHL coach.  We knew from day 1 this group needs 20 games before coming together... tonight's game should get some new guys in and we will see whom Cull elects to pull out....  and whom will be in goal....

4 hours ago, Connor comet said:

Cull brings it upon himself. Gaunce can play center, MacMaster is a center, Macewan is a center. Don't feed me anti benning crap when there is no story there.

Edited by ReggieBush
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

When have they drafted a high end center, Horvat, Kesler, McCann, Bo was projected 2 line to 3rd line center same with Kesler and McCann, McCann traded Bo straight into the NHL.