The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

32 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

But I'm wondering, if Gaudette and Dahlen are up with the Canucks, are you assuming that Sutter is traded/injured and Eriksson, Goldobin, Baertschi are traded/injured as well?

I would not be surprised to see a couple of Baer, Goldobin, Leipsic or Granlund not survive the year.

Short of 'an offer we can't refuse' for Sutter, I doubt he's going anywhere until at LEAST next year (if not the year following). Benning won't gut our C depth (particularly of hard minute/match up variety) until he's sure he's got replacements.

Eriksson (particularly if he has a half decent season alongside EP40) isn't completely immovable anymore given his contract is now cap basement friendly (and becomes increasingly so every year) but he's also not likely to return much (may actually cost to move). As such, I'm guessing we've likely got another year or two of him still, but who knows... and at least he's still 'useful' (if vastly overpaid).

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I would not be surprised to see a couple of Baer, Goldobin, Leipsic or Granlund not survive the year.

Short of 'an offer we can't refuse' for Sutter, I doubt he's going anywhere until at LEAST next year (if not the year following). Benning won't gut our C depth (particularly of hard minute/match up variety) until he's sure he's got replacements.

Eriksson (particularly if he has a half decent season alongside EP40) isn't completely immovable anymore given his contract is now cap basement friendly (and becomes increasingly so every year) but he's also not likely to return much (may actually cost to move). As such, I'm guessing we've likely got another year or two of him still, but who knows... and at least he's still 'useful' (if vastly overpaid).

I think there is a very good chance Sutter gets moved by the deadline or draft day. For a few reasons

1. We have centre depth right now and Sutter is sliding into a 3rd/4th C slot. Horvat, Pettersson, Beagle, Sutter, Gaudette, Granlund, Gagner, Gaunce, Kero, MacEwen. Thats a fair few NHL capable centres with Gaudette needing a spot this season or to start next. Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, Beagle is decent for a rebuilding year.

2. NHL draft in Vancouver. Benning has said he wants more picks for the draft and Sutter is a veteran that may fetch a 2nd+.

3. Youth movement. Canucks organization needs to show we are getting younger and that starts by trading vets for NHL ready prospects.

Trade Sutter. One or two of Edler, Del Zotto, Tanev. Trade Nilsson. Trade one of Baer, Granlund, Leipsic.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think there is a very good chance Sutter gets moved by the deadline or draft day. For a few reasons

1. We have centre depth right now and Sutter is sliding into a 3rd/4th C slot. Horvat, Pettersson, Beagle, Sutter, Gaudette, Granlund, Gagner, Gaunce, Kero, MacEwen. Thats a fair few NHL capable centres with Gaudette needing a spot this season or to start next. Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, Beagle is decent for a rebuilding year.

2. NHL draft in Vancouver. Benning has said he wants more picks for the draft and Sutter is a veteran that may fetch a 2nd+.

3. Youth movement. Canucks organization needs to show we are getting younger and that starts by trading vets for NHL ready prospects.

Trade Sutter. One or two of Edler, Del Zotto, Tanev. Trade Nilsson. Trade one of Baer, Granlund, Leipsic.

-Granlund, Gagner, Gaunce are winger conversions who can occasionally fill in at C, not legit C's. Kero is an AHL'er (as is Mac thus far). Our legit NHL C depth is paper thin. So no, we do not have C depth right now. Moving any of the guys I listed opens up spots for Gaudette to play.

-I'm sure he'd love to add more picks and agree very much that some of those guys can/will be moved. I doubt very much that one is Sutter (without a massive overpay/offer we can't refuse).

-Canucks don't 'need' to move Sutter to do anything of the sort. The youth movement is already in full swing and will continue of it's own accord.

2 hours ago, Brobidus said:

It's a neat exercise, but I believe they're trying out a couple of duos. Without Gaudette and Dahlen though, the team looks a little deflated. I see it more like:
Boucher - MacMaster - Jasek
Archibald - Kero - Lind/Palmu
Gadjovich - Gaunce - Palmu/Lind

But I'm wondering, if Gaudette and Dahlen are up with the Canucks, are you assuming that Sutter is traded/injured and Eriksson, Goldobin, Baertschi are traded/injured as well? I see Dahlen getting a spot in the top 6, but not really the bottom 6 (in that case they're more likely to recall MacEwan or Archibald). Like, what type of scenario are you predicting?

I'm more or less counting on a couple things:

One, we had two forwards injured before the puck even dropped opening night.  Eriksson's back now, but this was just pre-season/ scrimmages.  By mid-season, I don't see how we won't have 2-3 spots open due to injuries.

Two, if Dahlen and Gaudette get called up and impress, Benning will make room for them the way he did for Motte.  We waived Gagner and sat Schaller to get him in the lineup, even though he's the easiest one to send down.  And really, other than Horvat, Pettersson and Boeser, no one on the current roster is good enough to be untouchable.  

Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin and Dahlen all have similar skill set and fill similar roles.  If Dahlen proves that he belongs, and Goldobin and Leipsic continue to form, Baertschi, who can put up 40 points, is young, and has a decent cap hit, will certainly garner interest at TDL.  If Gaudette pushes out someone like Granlund, Motte, or Schaller, they can be moved or even waived -- Benning has shown that he's not afraid to go that route if needed.  

I don't think Dahlen necessarily needs a top 6 role to start -- we could have a bottom 6 of:

Dahlen - Sutter - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Gaudette

4 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Why would we trade Sutter? He's extremely important right now, he can be trusted in any situation, doesn't make many mistakes, solid defensively, can put the puck in the net. Hey let's trade one of our most solid players when we finally have a chance of not sucking!

Because that is the narrative that Vancouver media preaches and all Canucks fans must blindly follow.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Why would we trade Sutter? He's extremely important right now, he can be trusted in any situation, doesn't make many mistakes, solid defensively, can put the puck in the net. Hey let's trade one of our most solid players when we finally have a chance of not sucking!

His analytics though... :wacko:

4 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I will say though, he was +8 leading the team in plus/minus on a TERRIBLE team.

In case it wasn't obvious... #sarcasm.

Sutter's (like some of our other more defensive players) 'analytics' are just fine (quite good even) given his role/usage/team etc (AKA context, or as haters like to refer to it - 'excuses') :lol:

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

In case it wasn't obvious... #sarcasm.

Sutter's (like some of our other more defensive players) 'analytics' are just fine (quite good even) given his role/usage/team etc (AKA context, or as haters like to refer to it - 'excuses') :lol:

His analytics aren't great, but ya. Also I did know it was sarcasm but was honestly surprised he led the team in that. 

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

Well they aren't, he rides the bottom of the barrel in most advanced stats, but as you said when considering his usage they are ok.

If you're not taking in to account things like zone starts/role/usage etc, etc... when trying to analyze a players performance, what value exactly do those analytics have?

Gee, Eezey Sheltarro on a contending team with 75% Ozone starts, better line mates, no hard PK time etc has 'better' analytics than that bum Sutter. What a bum!

:rolleyes:

COMETS ANNOUNCE OPENING NIGHT ROSTER

Oct 4, 2018

Utica, N.Y. – Utica Comets General Manager Ryan Johnson announced the opening night roster that includes 29 players to start the 2018-19 season. The Comets begin the regular season tomorrow night at the Adirondack Bank Center against the Toronto Marlies at 7 p.m. Fans are encouraged to be in their seats early for a special pre-game ceremony.

Forwards (18)

#9 Lukas Jasek

#10 Tanner Kero

#11 Cam Darcy

#13 Kole Lind

#15 Zack MacEwen

#16 Brendan Gaunce

#17 Adam Gaudette

#18 Vincent Arseneau

#19 Tanner MacMaster

#21 Brendan Woods

#22 Jonah Gadjovich

#24 Reid Boucher

#25 Darren Archibald

#34 Carter Bancks

#36 Wacey Hamilton

#52 Petrus Palmu

#54 Jonathan Dahlen

#58 Michael Carcone

Defense (9)

#2 Evan McEneny

#3 Jagger Dirk

#5 Jalen Chatfield

#6 Ashton Sautner

#8 Dylan Blujus

#26 Jaime Sifers

#48 Olli Juolevi

#55 Guillaume Brisebois

#64 Jesse Graham

Goalies (2)

#31 Ivan Kulbakov

#32 Richard Bachman

Discussion time:

Who does coach Cull use on the 20 man roster for the Comets 1st game of the season  vs the Toronto Marlies?

This is my projection for tomorrow nights game.

Boucher..........Kero.........MacEwen

Archibald........Darcy.......Jasek

Dahlen............Gaunce....Palmu

MacMaster......Hamilton...Woods

Brisbois..........Chatfield

Sautner..........Juolevi

Dirk................Sifers

veteran rule players....Boucher, Archibald, Gaunce, Hamilton, Sifers

25 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Discussion time:

Who does coach Cull use on the 20 man roster for the Comets 1st game of the season  vs the Toronto Marlies?

This is my projection for tomorrow nights game.

Boucher..........Kero.........MacEwen

Archibald........Darcy.......Jasek

Dahlen............Gaunce....Palmu

MacMaster......Hamilton...Woods

Brisbois..........Chatfield

Sautner..........Juolevi

Dirk................Sifers

veteran rule players....Boucher, Archibald, Gaunce, Hamilton, Sifers

Gaudette?