The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

Should be an interesting year considering how many home grown prospects will be on this team. Question for the resident Comets experts, how do you think this team will do with it's current roster of players next year? Any chance at a Calder cup or just a playoff contender?

Looks like the wing talent in Utica will be impressive.  I do hope we see one more top AHL center signed to add to what I perceive to be

Kero

MacEwen

Darcy

at the moment.  

As far as a number one defenceman goes, another big step forward from Brisebois this summer might just solve that dilemma.  He was a minute munching top defender in junior and team leader.  I think he will need to show that ability and leadership this year if he plans to be the NHL d man he was projected to be.  Hopefully he comes to camp this year stronger and faster.  

Edited by TGT68

33 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Looks like the wing talent in Utica will be impressive.  I do hope we see one more top AHL center signed to add to what I perceive to be

Kero

MacEwen

Darcy

at the moment.  

As far as a number one defenceman goes, another big step forward from Brisebois this summer might just solve that dilemma.  He was a minute munching top defender in junior and team leader.  I think he will need to show that ability and leadership this year if he plans to be the NHL d man he was projected to be.  Hopefully he comes to camp this year stronger and faster.  

That's IF McEwen gets a look at centre, too... looks sketchy. Tyler motte is someone you could add to that conversation, but the need for a talented centre is evident. McEwen is not a playmaker at all, and I don't know enough about kero to say about him.

1 hour ago, pluralsight said:

Should be an interesting year considering how many home grown prospects will be on this team. Question for the resident Comets experts, how do you think this team will do with it's current roster of players next year? Any chance at a Calder cup or just a playoff contender?

I see them being comparable to last season - competing for a playoff spot. They'll be more talented and entertaining to watch but less experienced and we can all expect some growing pains. I can see them being a contender in 2019-20 and beyond, I'm excited about the idea of growing a group of young players on the farm and letting them all develop together. A team like the Marlies, they had a lot of players in that 22 year old range who'd been cooking in the AHL for a season or two, so once all of our prospects figure out the pro game (and you filter in a couple more like Woo, Lockwood, Brassard, etc) we could be looking at a dangerous team.

The X-factor to me this year is goaltending... if Demko remains in the AHL as the starter, he's getting to that level where he can be a difference maker and steal games. All the young guys in front of him on defense now being a year older and wiser will help too.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Guile said:

That's IF McEwen gets a look at centre, too... looks sketchy. Tyler motte is someone you could add to that conversation, but the need for a talented centre is evident. McEwen is not a playmaker at all, and I don't know enough about kero to say about him.

And the other problem being it is unlikely the Canucks are deep enough to send down a surplus center.  A scenario where they signed another NHL center AND Petterssen or Gagner was slotted to start at center might maybe push Gaudette to the AHL.  But I really can't see them doing that to the Hobey Baker Winner after not sending him to Utica last year.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I see them being comparable to last season - competing for a playoff spot. They'll be more talented and entertaining to watch but less experienced and we can all expect some growing pains. I can see them being a contender in 2019-20 and beyond, I'm excited about the idea of growing a group of young players on the farm and letting them all develop together. A team like the Marlies, they had a lot of players in that 22 year old range who'd been cooking in the AHL for a season or two, so once all of our prospects figure out the pro game (and you filter in a couple more like Woo, Lockwood, Brassard, etc) we could be looking at a dangerous team.

The X-factor to me this year is goaltending... if Demko remains in the AHL as the starter, he's getting to that level where he can be a difference maker and steal games. All the young guys in front of him on defense now being a year older and wiser will help too.

Problem I see with them contending in 2019-20 is I bet the Canucks take the best two wingers next year AND Demko.  Downgrading the forwards some and giving the goaltending back to Bachman with Dipietro learning the ropes as backup.  

I'm looking for Gaudette and McEwen to have great years in Utica. I think Palmu starts out pretty strong, but is used as a 3rd line energy forward. I'm guessing that Juolevi will start slow, but end stronger.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm looking for Gaudette and McEwen to have great years in Utica. I think Palmu starts out pretty strong, but is used as a 3rd line energy forward. I'm guessing that Juolevi will start slow, but end stronger.

Pretty sure Gaudette won't go to Utica. He is gonna be 22 years old soon and has already competed at a high level in college. I believe he will be given every chance to play with the Canucks this season.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Pretty sure Gaudette won't go to Utica. He is gonna be 22 years old soon and has already competed at a high level in college. I believe he will be given every chance to play with the Canucks this season.

He will be given a chance, but he's far from proven himself at the NHL level yet. He's competed at college, but even the AHL would be a significant step up from college. I think he has a shot, but he's sitting on the outside looking in until he proves himself.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yeah, I think at the draft, JB referred to “the Gaudettes” alongside “the Boesers” and “the Petterssons” as the one of key players in our young group moving forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

8 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Kero

MacEwen

Darcy

at the moment.  

1. First, thanks to @stonecoldstevebernier for an excellent OP. Covers a lot of ground, including quite a few things I was not aware of.

2. I agree that Gaudette is going to get a very long look with the Canucks. He is old enough and, using normal league translation factors, in expected value term he should be able to play successfully in the NHL. And the Canucks are short on centers. From what Benning has said, he certainly expects Gaudette to make the team. And Gaudette looked good in his short period with the Canucks last year. He was unlucky not to get on the score sheet, and he was very solid defensively. Personally, I expect a 4th line of Gaudette between Leipsic and Virtanen. And that should be a good 4th line.

3. Center is a problem for Utica. I was wondering if Utica would bring back Cassels on an AHL contract. But I guess not. And I have to agree with that decision. I agree with TGT that the Canucks should sigh a high-end veteran AHL center to play between some of their skilled wingers, particularly Dahlen and Lind. Assuming Kero plays 1C or 2C, they need another good playmaking top 6 C.

4. It looks like there is a pretty good chance that Quinn Hughes starts the season in Utica. That would certainly make things exciting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1