The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How does our 1st line stack up against the Jets 1st line/future outlook

Gator

2 minutes ago, mephnick said:

It's pretty hard to argue that Pettersson is a better pick than Hischier, the latter stepping into the 1C role on a playoff team at the age of 18. I mean, time will tell, but we really need to stop with the "Pettersson best pick!" crap until it's even remotely a reality. It just makes our fanbase look stupid.

Would you, right now, trade Pettersson for Hischier?  Of course we wouldn’t even consider such a deal, because Pettersson is WAY BETTER than Nico.  And Hughes is the best player in his draft too!  We friggin’ win!!! :towel:Leafs Suck.

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So curious to see what Bo's ceiling will be now that the talent level is increasing in our Top 6.  

Playing with guys like Boeser, Pettersson, possibly Dahlen will push Bo further toward his ceiling. It wouldn't surprise me if he hits 30g/30a/60pts next season if everyone's healthy and clicking chemistry wise.

Ultimately I see Bo centering our 2nd line, with Dahlen, Petterson, and Boeser as our 1st. Either way, things are looking better conceptually at C in our Top 6. If only the season started tomorrow!! Hurry up, let's go!!! 

Bo is a Brind’Amour 2.0

That is, he’s a great, reliable two-way Center best suited for a second-line role behind a true #1, offensive Cman. He would be worth a lot in trade because of his perfect blend of skills. I hope he isn’t wasted here. Time will tell. 

I think he’s a 30.30 player, on average. 

8 minutes ago, mephnick said:

It's pretty hard to argue that Pettersson is a better pick than Hischier, the latter stepping into the 1C role on a playoff team at the age of 18. I mean, time will tell, but we really need to stop with the "Pettersson best pick!" crap until it's even remotely a reality. It just makes our fanbase look stupid.

Uhhh I gotta be honest. Hischier was a 50 point centre man who played along side the hart trophy winner on a borderline playoff team. He had an incredible rookie season and is extremely gifted, especially offensively. That being said, pettersson dominated a league which is one teir down from the NHL last year. It’s very easy to argue that, if he had played in the NHL last season, he would have had a more successful year than Hischier. I’m not saying he is definitely better but there’s definitely strong evidence to suggest he could be. 

I guess this coming season will settle the argument in which i is the better player

7 minutes ago, mephnick said:

Normally, this could pass as a 189 post.

(I say the same thing all the time. It’s how I became labelled a hater/troll, actually. Well, that and acknowledging that the Leafs have done a great job at assembling its young roster and farm. Trust me, you don’t want to die on that hill... you might even be asked to prove things to Hutton Winkypoo like how the Leafs’ young D prospects will soon arrive to help the NHL club. Apparently, only the Canucks’ sucky Dcore will be adequately supplemented with quality D kids in the near future, and not the Leafs. You better wrap your head around the herd’s desire to believe in the tinker bell story that hope and positivity/belief can somehow make each Canuck prospect make an impact on the team...)

Anyways, fellow realist and would-be I minus-magnet, I sense EP is likely a special player who beats the odds and becomes the next Jason Allison. If there ever was a Canucks prospect who had the word star written all over him, I think it’s this guy. But ya, let him play a few games before he is anointed as a McJesus, agreed. 

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would you, right now, trade Pettersson for Hischier? 

Right now? Yes. He slots in above Horvat and gives us the truly competitive 1-2 punch that is require to be a contending team. Maybe Pettersson gives us that, maybe he doesn't.

I really hope you can dig this post up in 3 years after Pettersson wins the Art Ross and throw it back in my face, though.

11 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Uhhh I gotta be honest. Hischier was a 50 point centre man who played along side the hart trophy winner on a borderline playoff team. He had an incredible rookie season and is extremely gifted, especially offensively. That being said, pettersson dominated a league which is one teir down from the NHL last year. It’s very easy to argue that, if he had played in the NHL last season, he would have had a more successful year than Hischier. I’m not saying he is definitely better but there’s definitely strong evidence to suggest he could be. 

I guess this coming season will settle the argument in which i is the better player

I disagree with the bolded aspect of your post. 

Mainly, the AHL holds that distinction, IMO anyways, because of the extreme physicality which prepares players for the NHL; a whole new level of ability while still being very physical. It’s a big continent with a different style of play. 

I highly doubt EP does what he did last year if he was in the AHL. 

Just now, mephnick said:

Right now? Yes. He slots in above Horvat and gives us the truly competitive 1-2 punch that is require to be a contending team. Maybe Pettersson gives us that, maybe he doesn't.

I really hope you can dig this post up in 3 years after Pettersson wins the Art Ross and throw it back in my face, though.

How about in three years when Pettersson hoists the STANLEY CUP?  

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Bo is a Brind’Amour 2.0

That is, he’s a great, reliable two-way Center best suited for a second-line role behind a true #1, offensive Cman. He would be worth a lot in trade because of his perfect blend of skills. I hope he isn’t wasted here. Time will tell. 

I think he’s a 30.30 player, on average. 

Production wise and longevity, I like that comparison. 

Interestingly, if he's 30/30 on average he'll be putting up Patrice Bergeron numbers on the 2nd line. I like the King Clancy potential of Bergeron, Bo aligns to that, and think he's capable of 30/30, not sure about as consistently as Bergeron.

Agree. Don't want to see him wasted through his prime.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Would you, right now, trade Pettersson for Hischier?  Of course we wouldn’t even consider such a deal, because Pettersson is WAY BETTER than Nico.  And Hughes is the best player in his draft too!  We friggin’ win!!! :towel:Leafs Suck.

Hughes could very well become the best in this draft, but right now I have him #3 just like Benning probably did.

Dahlin

Svechnikov

Hughes

Just now, Alflives said:

I think JB had Hughes at # 2.  

Maybe, but hard to put him ahead of Svechnikov. Right now anyway

Big reason Hughes may wind up being the best in this class is because both landed on some pretty bad teams. Buffalo looks to have a great future, but c'mon, it's the Sabers! LOL

On 7/25/2018 at 3:18 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

(I say the same thing all the time. It’s how I became labelled a hater/troll, actually. Well, that and acknowledging that the Leafs have done a great job at assembling its young roster and farm. Trust me, you don’t want to die on that hill... you might even be asked to prove things to Hutton Winkypoo like how the Leafs’ young D prospects will soon arrive to help the NHL club.

Such as, providing one single name, not to even prove your point, but simply to give even one bit of evidence for it, yet failing?  That's how you earn stripes, alright.

:lol:

On 7/25/2018 at 5:52 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Production wise and longevity, I like that comparison. 

Interestingly, if he's 30/30 on average he'll be putting up Patrice Bergeron numbers on the 2nd line. I like the King Clancy potential of Bergeron, Bo aligns to that, and think he's capable of 30/30, not sure about as consistently as Bergeron.

Agree. Don't want to see him wasted through his prime.

Brindamour won his cup in his 8th season i think. when Bo is 8 years in we will have the likes of the Pettersons Hughes Juolevis Demkos and maybe a few other prime draft prospects to run at the cup. I doubt he gets wasted here. Just a thought.

18 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

WwwwmgdghA as, providing one single name, not to even prove your point, but simply to give even one bit of evidence for it, yet failing?  That's how you earn stripes, alright.

:lol:

Evidence?

Ha, you’re funny.

Failing to provide it? 

Sometimes, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze in here, and you’re no exception. 

- As if the Leafs don’t soon have help coming for their suspect D from the farm. 

- As if it requires an in-depth analysis unless you don’t know the composition of the prospect pool, or the bubble players already basically there, relative to the context of my claim which apparently requires evidence.

What a hill to die on, Hutton. Way to pick your battles. How redundant can things get here with you? 

As to your original ask, why do I need to post their names/depth chart, for you, and provide the obvious names that are so often mocked in here concerning the young Leafs D? Especially considering that you took the wasted-time to write out the names of most of their young D prospects and roster-hopefuls in your response to my claim - that the Leafs have kids coming to supplement the Dcore just as quickly and surely as the Canucks do.

That’s essentially the claim, or as close as makes no difference to my point. 

You demand that I list names.... Not because you aren’t aware of them yourself, again I remind you and those reading that you, yourself had already posted a homered-up little essay, while naming most names, on how far away you thought the Leafs’ D-kid-pool were away from the roster in your response to my having claimed that help was on its way for the Leafs D from their pool, much like it is for the Canucks. So, you need me to do a rebuttal or something? Ha, no. 

But, you need evidence; names. Sure you do... 

No, wadr, what you need is integrity and objective writing in your own assessments and discourse with others as you go on to claim, which I’ve read in places in here -that I just make $&!# up just for the hell of it, assumedly linked back into the context of my base claim that help is on the way for the Leafs’ D from their prospect pool. 

I’d think you could workout for yourself “one single name” from the Kid Leafs D-core which you’ve been so eager to express doubts and opinions over in other threads. I’m not interested in leading you to any conclusions you can work out for yourself.

If that’s truly your opinion of the future state of the Leafs’ kid-D, great. I see lots of opinions and comments posted in this forum that are obviously misinformed and I don’t care, unless it’s an accusatory claim against me having “made things up just for the hell of it.” There is nothing made-up about that claim or view about the Leafs’ prospects. 

Go ahead, let your Leaf-Hate bias cloud your judgement and do exercise your right as a poster to trash the Leafs, seriously I normally love that stuff, but don’t ask me to entertain you by posting names, obvious names, names which you are well aware of; players soon expected to join the Leafs, anymore than I’d bother asking you to print the names of the Canucks’ kids expected to do the same, especially after you just finished posting them yourself in a response to the original claim itself. I’m not a fan of redundancy.  

This post and your ask remain a redundancy, in the purest sense of the word. What a waste of time this was, again. 

I’m not here to convince you of anything and I’m certainly not interested in being your hockey-rival hate therapist over something so blatantly obvious to those hockey fans not in full-homer mode, here in a Canucks fan forum... and that’s not me “just making $&!# up for the hell of it”, as you’d like to claim and goes for those bothering to add a smiley face icon to the drama and notion as well. 

Bo will turn out to be a great 2nd Line Centre (on a really good NHL team).

And I think EP will be our Top Centre down the road..

I think his Offensive numbers will outshine Scheifele's. (But Scheifele will have better Defensive game)

Brock and Laine .... I would love to call it a wash but realistically, Laine will have higher ceiling.

We have yet to discover our Top LW.. so gotta wait on that. 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:17 AM, Green Goblin said:

Nice analysis. Very detailed and accurate.

Jake's gonna be an awesome power-energy guy. He'll probably get lots of commercial deals with all the energy drink companies. And Benning has learned from that. Look at all the skill he has drafted in the forward position since then. Just hope we can find get that #1 franchise centre. Jack Hughes

No center will be drafted that's better than EP. Maybe in the first year but only on the draws. EP is that franchise center. This team will be a very offensive team soon. If anything the defense will be the weak link, and as soon as some holes are plugged or players move down the depth chart we will be a play-off team.

On ‎28‎.‎07‎.‎2018 at 5:48 PM, mikeyman109 said:

Brindamour won his cup in his 8th season i think. when Bo is 8 years in we will have the likes of the Pettersons Hughes Juolevis Demkos and maybe a few other prime draft prospects to run at the cup. I doubt he gets wasted here. Just a thought.

What? :blink: He won his cup near the end of his career. In his 16th NHL-Season... ;)

Archived