The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Teams Turning Heads

Winnipeg has the best team in Canada, Toronto has the most overrated team in Canada - TML out in round 1 again.

Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver will be grouped together seperated by about 5 to 10 points amongst them out of the playoffs. Montreal and Ottawa will be in a high percentage lottery pick.

12 minutes ago, 6string said:

Winnipeg has the best team in Canada, Toronto has the most overrated team in Canada - TML out in round 1 again.

Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver will be grouped together seperated by about 5 to 10 points amongst them out of the playoffs. Montreal and Ottawa will be in a high percentage lottery pick.

Those are pretty reasonable calls 6S..Winnipeg will be interesting to keep an eye on over the next 10~12 months. I see a cap-crunch looming, & wonder how they'll address it?

We've surpassed all my expectations thus far, it's still early but I figured we'd be bad this season. Hard to say how it all turns out but we've likely more injuries to ride out. This is the Canucks after all.

Could see em being middle of the pack and being just out of the playoffs come spring if the young guys keep playing well and our D and goaltending hold up. I'd be very surprised if we made it.

52 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Those are pretty reasonable calls 6S..Winnipeg will be interesting to keep an eye on over the next 10~12 months. I see a cap-crunch looming, & wonder how they'll address it?

True that Winnipeg has to face cap reality and how about Toronto unwilling to throw money at Nylander knowing full well Matthews and Marner are gonna cost about 20 to 25 million if they go long term, ya think?

I feel the Jets are less top heavy in a cap hit than both the Coliers and Make Beliefs....

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Those road wins in contending teams' cities weren't a true test?  And what team can sustain the level of injuries this one has the past 2-3 years?  Heard complaints in the GDT last night of the Bruins "missing" Krug and McAvoy -- well how about the Canucks missing Edler and Tanev, not to mention Bo, Sutter, Boeser, Sven, Granlund, etc.?

To be fair, that was Tampa's second game of the year after having a random 5 day break to start the year. No excuse for Pittsburgh although that was arguably one of the better games we've had so far this season. If we had played those teams in March with the same lineups, it'd be a completely different story and we'd lose both games.

9 minutes ago, 6string said:

True that Winnipeg has to face cap reality and how about Toronto unwilling to throw money at Nylander knowing full well Matthews and Marner are gonna cost about 20 to 25 million if they go long term, ya think?

I feel the Jets are less top heavy in a cap hit than both the Coliers and Make Beliefs....

Myers is off the books which gives them at 5.5m more to work Laine for a 8-9m per season extension. They can re-sign Chiarot and Morrow to cheap deals with slight raises and try and dump Kulikov to a team with loads of cap space (maybe trade him to Detroit for a pick to replace Kronwall). If they feel Logan Stanley is ready, they can bring him up. Freeing up Myers and Kulikov gives them an extra 9m with their already 12m cap space. If cap rises, it'll give them more wiggle room for Trouba and Conner.

Small sample size plus reasonably healthy lineups playing against backup goalies.  I'm pleasantly surprised with how well our guys have played without EP, but it's not sustainable.  Injuries are a part of the game and the teams that have the depth to withstand them are the ones that succeed.  I do like our depth this year a lot more than any in recent memory.

22 minutes ago, 6string said:

The Scheifele contract helps them, but I still think they'll have to trade a star player.

Having quality emerging ELC guys is becoming increasingly important. The Jets are well-positioned from almost any angle. Chevy seems sharp too. In the end, will be an interesting study.

21 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The Scheifele contract helps them, but I still think they'll have to trade a star player.

Having quality emerging ELC guys is becoming increasingly important. The Jets are well-positioned from almost any angle. Chevy seems sharp too. In the end, will be an interesting study.

Totally agree Winnipeg's window to win is stretched over a few more years than Toronot or Edmonnot and guess who is soon gonna make it to the dance as these teams try to win in that short span of time ...Vancouver!

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Once injuries start on the back end and our goalies start sucking again is when we aren't going to be watching very fun hockey.

As per usual. 

Totally disagree about watching them not being fun. We have prospects playing with desire as opposed to veterans who have "been there and done that" or minor leaguers ( Chaput and Megna ) filling in as place holders.

I'm excited about our young talent having to step up, hang in there buddy!

22 minutes ago, 6string said:

Totally disagree about watching them not being fun. We have prospects playing with desire as opposed to veterans who have "been there and done that" or minor leaguers ( Chaput and Megna ) filling in as place holders.

I'm excited about our young talent having to step up, hang in there buddy!

In that aspect, it should be more enjoyable.

I meant in terms of when Tanev/Edler go down and our D go into shambles. Also when our tenders start to go through bad stretches. Won't bode well for the crowd that wants to win.

I will be watching every game regardless. I enjoy watching our young guns grow

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

In that aspect, it should be more enjoyable.

I meant in terms of when Tanev/Edler go down and our D go into shambles. Also when our tenders start to go through bad stretches. Won't bode well for the crowd that wants to win.

I will be watching every game regardless. I enjoy watching our young guns grow

Joulevi and possibly Chatfield or McEneny get ice time during the injuries and even Demko. I wanna see them make the most of their development!

Let's hope our injuries are limited to the level of other teams in the league.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2018/10/21 at 11:26 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

With all games complete as of Oct 20th, the collective record of the 7 Cdn franchises stands at: 31 - 17 - 4.

Call that pretty darn surprising. At least 3 Cdn entries were pegged as certain bottom-dwellers as the season got underway. Those 3 have all suffered key injuries as well.

Every Cdn team has had pretty good 'tending, thus far. They've also ALL featured a surprising amount of offence(that is 6 teams, & McD)

Update: 116 gp - W63 - L42 - 11

Canadian teams continuing the early trend.

Currently 6 out of 7 in a PO seeding.

Impressive.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Update: 116 gp - W63 - L42 - 11

Canadian teams continuing the early trend.

Currently 6 out of 7 in a PO seeding.

Impressive.

As someone who cheers for Canadian teams to win it's great to see.  

Cgy needs better goal tending. 

MTL and VCR have impressed with their team speed. 

How about that Chabot kid in OTT.

McDavid being Jesus as expected

TML are fun to watch.  

Always love the Jets. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

As someone who cheers for Canadian teams to win it's great to see.  

Cgy needs better goal tending. 

MTL and VCR have impressed with their team speed. 

How about that Chabot kid in OTT.

McDavid being Jesus as expected

TML are fun to watch.  

Always love the Jets. 

I've wondered if Chabot would be so dominant, had EK remained there? A silver lining for them abused OTT fans, it appears...

Pretty much across the board, all Cdn entries have played an enjoyable brand to watch!

Archived