The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mass Shooting At Pittsburgh Synagogue

SabreFan1

4 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Who said it's a simple issue to solve? Not me.

I agree that a 'total gun ban' is unrealistic. Who said that it's realistic?

Touchy much?  I said "people" not "Just1CupBeforeIDie". 

Just look at some of the past shooting threads in this section of the board and you'll see people clamoring for all kinds of bans.

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

I think most of us understand it's not a simple issue, but would still like to see steps being made in the right direction (in any direction FFS?!?).

This current philosophy that some people have about countering guns with more guns is pure idiocy no matter how you look at it.

You may understand the answer isn't simple but I think that you're giving too much credit to the public at large.

Countering guns with more guns would depend on who's holding the extra guns.  If it's a person with very little training like a school teacher, then yes it's a monumentally stupid idea.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Touchy much?  I said "people" not "Just1CupBeforeIDie". 

Just look at some of the past shooting threads in this section of the board and you'll see people clamoring for all kinds of bans.

Not touchy...your post was a response to mine....just know that I was not one of those people who were clamoring for banning all guns.

Either way, I'm sad to see a senseless mass shooting occur once again.

I don't have the answers, just compassion.

RIP to those who sadly lost their lives by just going to their place of worship.

My heart goes out to their families and friends.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Oh no.  You said thoughts and prayers on CDC.  Quick, say you were being sarcastic or you may have some memes coming your way. :lol:

You're missing the point. Those of us who criticize the "thoughts and prayers" routine do so in the direction of elected officials who receive funding and support from the NRA and who consistently offer nothing besides thoughts and prayers. The average Joe or Jane is more than welcome to offer thoughts and prayers, even if they are totally useless.

Bill O'Reilly said it himself: "This is the price of freedom". Meaning that Americans have to be okay with mass murder if they wish to remain "free"....However, in the case of politicians, it isn't even this twisted idea of freedom. The truth is, mass murder is something they have to be okay with if they want to retain the support of the NRA and those who adhere to it's principles.

"God Bless America"...<_<

So... is this a racism issue or a gun issue or mental health issue?

Whatever your views on Trump.... I don't see how they has anything to relate to him or his policies.  I mean his own son-in-law is Jewish and his daughter has also converted to Judaism.  To blame him on the actions of deranged individuals makes no sense.  I mean... to support Trump and his strong support of Jews and Israel.... yet harbour anti-Semitic views?  It would be like being a huge support of Obama... but desperately wishing to reinstate Jim Crow laws.  

Guns.... I've already stated my opinions about it multiple times.  Makes no difference in repeating it as most people are (educated or not) has already made up their minds.

When people are so consumed with rage and hate, when they perceive they have been wronged or slighted by whoever, and they lack control over themselves.... bad things will almost happen regardless of the rules and regulations in place.  Society needs to move towards a world where responsibility, charity, peace, and respect should be dominant... not hatred, violence, and/or entitlement.  

An undercover armed guard(s) at more soft targets can't be any worse than zero armed guards. Obviously the status quo of sitting around and bitching and pointing fingers isn't doing anything helpful. Ex military guys looking for a job or career might be the best for that pending a mental evaluation. Yearly mental evaluations, something like that.

You may understand the answer isn't simple but I think that you're giving too much credit to the public at large.

I make that mistake all too often.. :lol:

Countering guns with more guns would depend on who's holding the extra guns.  If it's a person with very little training like a school teacher, then yes it's a monumentally stupid idea.

OK so lets say the extra guns are in the hands of trained, responsible individuals. The idea is that EVERY SINGLE classroom, public event, religious meeting, etc. would have a trained guard with a full-auto rifle? What are the costs? What are the chances this guard is targeted first by a potential shooter? I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, but I just can't imagine a scenario where the idea works. 

You mention there are over 300 million firearms in the US. Would a cheaper alternative not be to do an audit of these? In fact, before introducing and MORE guns into the system, shouldn't an audit be done? Particularly considering how many of these crimes are committed via the use of a registered firearm.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

You're missing the point. Those of us who criticize the "thoughts and prayers" routine do so in the direction of elected officials who receive funding and support from the NRA and who consistently offer nothing besides thoughts and prayers. The average Joe or Jane is more than welcome to offer thoughts and prayers, even if they are totally useless.

Bill O'Reilly said it himself: "This is the price of freedom". Meaning that Americans have to be okay with mass murder if they wish to remain "free"....However, in the case of politicians, it isn't even this twisted idea of freedom. The truth is, mass murder is something they have to be okay with if they want to retain the support of the NRA and those who adhere to it's principles.

"God Bless America"...<_<

I was just being silly.  Many have been chuckling over the "thoughts" and "prayers" line and meme'ing it during shooting threads.

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

An undercover armed guard(s) at more soft targets can't be any worse than zero armed guards. Obviously the status quo of sitting around and bitching and pointing fingers isn't doing anything helpful. Ex military guys looking for a job or career might be the best for that pending a mental evaluation. Yearly mental evaluations, something like that.

Agree.  If a trained hand is holding a weapon, it makes sense.  Yearly evaluations would keep the crazies from having that job as well as cowards like those cops who refused to enter the building in Florida a while back.

9 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

OK so lets say the extra guns are in the hands of trained, responsible individuals. The idea is that EVERY SINGLE classroom, public event, religious meeting, etc. would have a trained guard with a full-auto rifle? What are the costs? What are the chances this guard is targeted first by a potential shooter? I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, but I just can't imagine a scenario where the idea works. 

You mention there are over 300 million firearms in the US. Would a cheaper alternative not be to do an audit of these? In fact, before introducing and MORE guns into the system, shouldn't an audit be done? Particularly considering how many of these crimes are committed via the use of a registered firearm.

1.  Full-auto's are illegal in the US unless you're in a 3 letter gov't agency.  Not sure about state law and their police.

2.  Nobody wants even more guards everywhere.  We already have that, they're called the police and they haven't been looking good themselves for a while now.

3.  What do you mean, audit the guns?  There's already records of who owns most guns since they keep track of the background checks.

3 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

The world population can be divided into 4 major races, namely white/Caucasian, Mongoloid/Asian, Negroid/Black, and Australoid.

Judaism is not a race. 

My question is: why are Jews targeted? I really don't get it.

It's a history thing.  Started in Egypt.  It really ramped up during the Roman times especially after the crucifixion of Christ and went into overdrive after Islam became a religion and still carries on through to this day.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

1.  Full-auto's are illegal in the US unless you're in a 3 letter gov't agency.  Not sure about state law and their police.

2.  Nobody wants even more guards everywhere.  We already have that, they're called the police and they haven't been looking good themselves for a while now.

3.  What do you mean, audit the guns?  There's already records of who owns most guns since they keep track of the background checks.

So when you say putting extra guns in the hands of untrained individuals wouldn't work, and no more guards, then were should these extra guns go?

By audit the guns I mean take them away from those that have established any kind of mental instability or criminal history. I'm guessing that's against the constitution or some s&*% though.....

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

So when you say putting extra guns in the hands of untrained individuals wouldn't work, and no more guards, then were should these extra guns go?

What extra guns?

By audit the guns I mean take them away from those that have established any kind of mental instability or criminal history. I'm guessing that's against the constitution or some s&*% though.....

We already do that.  Felons cannot own firearms and a judge can take guns away from mentally unstable people.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Gun purchase records are not on a searchable database.   The US system still uses paper because of the gun lobby.   The ATF isn't allowed to create a digital record.  Records are stored at the place of purchase.  If that place goes out of business the records are sent to the ATF.  And if those records were stored in a basement that flooded good luck.

1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Gun purchase records are not on a searchable database.   The US system still uses paper because of the gun lobby.   The ATF isn't allowed to create a digital record.  Records are stored at the place of purchase.  If that place goes out of business the records are sent to the ATF.  And if those records were stored in a basement that flooded good luck.

It's not convenient getting a hold of them that's for sure, but the records are kept. 

Archived