The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victoria Councillor Wants to Get Rid of Christmas Decorations With Christian Ties

DonLever

2 hours ago, Toews said:

Religion has no place in any educational institute. Go celebrate your faith at your own time, give the kids a place where they can excel academically. That should be the focus, not some dumb concert.

When I was a young lad attending public school in East Van, I do remember having nuns coming back playing religious themed videos during movie time.  Then we also helped with packing school supplies to be delivered to less fortunate kids in Latin America.  We also celebrated Christmas stuff, learning some morals and values and whatnot.  Not to say it's only Christian stuff, as we also celebrated Chinese New Year, some Jewish stuff, etc. 

School shouldn't be a place to instill religious values, but it should be a place for open understand of different cultures and religions.  To teach compassion, morals, and to help assist parents in raising good citizens.  If/when my son  goes to school here, I want him to learn some basics about Christianity, along with Hinduism, Shintoism, Judaism, etc.  

What better way to learn about something different than to do something enjoyable, eg. celebrating Christmas.  

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

When I was a young lad attending public school in East Van, I do remember having nuns coming back playing religious themed videos during movie time.  Then we also helped with packing school supplies to be delivered to less fortunate kids in Latin America.  We also celebrated Christmas stuff, learning some morals and values and whatnot.  Not to say it's only Christian stuff, as we also celebrated Chinese New Year, some Jewish stuff, etc. 

School shouldn't be a place to instill religious values, but it should be a place for open understand of different cultures and religions.  To teach compassion, morals, and to help assist parents in raising good citizens.  If/when my son  goes to school here, I want him to learn some basics about Christianity, along with Hinduism, Shintoism, Judaism, etc.  

What better way to learn about something different than to do something enjoyable, eg. celebrating Christmas.  

Morals and values existed long before religion existed.

I would argue that today they exist despite religion.

An example of this in my society is despite the vehement protestations of the religious minority we,Australians,legalised same sex marriage.

The religious dudes went down kicking and screaming however down they went.

I love Christmas, more than anything else because it breaks up the drudgery of winter.  I'm atheist and love my Christmas tree, stockings and turkey feasts.  Hell, all Northern Hemisphere countries should have a Winter festival.  I guess the Asian countries do as well, with their New Year.  

Having said that, Jesus was born in Nazareth and the Nativity narrative is a load of bullhicky.  Seriously, read the gospels, only two of them talk about it (Matthew and Luke) and those two stories have almost nothing in common.  

For example, Luke says Mary and Joseph travelled to Bethlehem (for an invented Roman census that didn't happen historically), while Matthew has them living there already!  Hence, Jesus is born was born in a manager in an inn in Luke, and was born at his own home in Matthew.  However, Matthew has the three wise men and shining star, while they are completely absent in Luke.    Matthew has the young family fleeing to Egypt for five years from King Herod, and moving to Nazareth after Herod dies, while Luke has them travelling merrily back to the home from which they came.  Jesus of NAZARETH, people, not Jesus of Bethlehem.

Merry CHRISTmas everyone!

On 12/11/2018 at 10:13 AM, Riviera82 said:

I for one am tired of inclusivity. How many other nations are this worried about offending anyone and everyone?

As a heterosexual white male, born and raised a catholic, I have never felt so excluded; and it's only going to get worse.

Image result for oh you're serious

Haha, poor white, male, heterosexual Catholics. That's a good one. 

On 12/11/2018 at 10:51 AM, Riviera82 said:

Well maybe I'm right out of whack, but in Canada it's starting to seem like people with all the traits like myself are becoming a minority. It seems like nowadays everything is done to please everyone but me.

Related image

It's hard to fathom someone can say something like, "As a heterosexual white male, born and raised a catholic, I have never felt so excluded; and it's only going to get worse" with a straight face. Like, 

Image result for seriously?

1 hour ago, Bill Sikes said:

So let me see if I understand, this councillor is declaring war in Christmas decorations because someone put a plant in his desk? :unsure:

This is what is referred to today as:

”triggered”

should be be made into a documentary movie about civil leaders who can’t handle their $&!#.

16 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Meanwhile snowflake atheist family has to ruin school Christmas for everybody else: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/atheist-bc-human-rights-1.4943787

I'm not sure what definition of "meanwhile" you're using, but the story is about an issue from 2014. And they never cancelled Christmas at the school. And the settlement is for holding the child's attendance hostage to force her parents' hand (talk about actually outrageous behavior).

40 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

I'm not sure what definition of "meanwhile" you're using, but the story is about an issue from 2014. And they never cancelled Christmas at the school. And the settlement is for holding the child's attendance hostage to force her parents' hand (talk about actually outrageous behavior).

You mean a permission slip that we all had to have our parents sign for field trips?  All they had to do was sign a form "confirming their "understanding and acceptance" of all aspects of the school's cultural program."  Probably because they knew these whiners would sue, which ended up happening regardless.  That's hardly holding a kid's attendance hostage.  And yes this will ruin Cultural celebrations, as school boards will be weary to not let this hyper sensitivity result in more lawsuits.

Understanding and acceptance...  Thought that was what this country is all about. 

8 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

You mean a permission slip that we all had to have our parents sign for field trips?  All they had to do was sign a form "confirming their "understanding and acceptance" of all aspects of the school's cultural program."  Probably because they knew these whiners would sue, which ended up happening regardless.  That's hardly holding a kid's attendance hostage.  And yes this will ruin Cultural celebrations, as school boards will be weary to not let this hyper sensitivity result in more lawsuits.

Understanding and acceptance...  Thought that was what this country is all about. 

Did any other parent need to sign the same agreement before their kids were able to attend? It appears not, seeing as these parents didn't need to sign it until an issue arose. Ergo, signing the aforementioned agreement is not mandatory for a child to attend. It is precisely holding a child's attendance hostage.

And had you actually understood the story, you would have realized that the parents sued the school over the school holding their child's attendance hostage to force them to sign the agreement in the first place. The lawsuit didn't end up "happening regardless". Rather, it happened in direct consequence.

35 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

And had you actually understood the story,

I understood the story just fine.  It's about two 'outspoken atheists' that are hell bent on using their kid as a pawn in their crusade to push their views on everybody else. 

That's despite some conduct by Mangel that strayed "beyond the acceptable," in Korenkiewicz's words.

For instance, when Mangel learned the school planned to include clay elf decorations in its December festivities, he wrote an email to the board objecting, and suggested some "atheist Christmas ornaments" that would better represent the views of his family.

And this is why they wrote them a letter beforehand.  Because they knew these buttercups would cause a stink no matter what.  And that's why no other parent got a letter.

That included one that simply says "Skeptic," and another that depicted the World Trade Center in New York with the caption "Atheists don't fly airplanes into buildings."

The latter, according to Korenkiewicz, was nothing more than "a veiled form of Islamophobia."

The tribunal also heard about a uncomfortable conversation Mangel had with the husband of a BIMS administrator. They were discussing the use of religious symbols at the school when the husband pointed out that children in public schools still sing the national anthem even though it includes the word "God."

"Mangel responded, 'I'll sue them too' and then began doing the Nazi salute and marching around while he sang a different version of O Canada," Korenkiewicz wrote.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, bishopshodan said:

What? no, I was thinking it should be Lamb of God

Great, now we'll all start debating the appropriate music for our Goat tree burning ritual.  

Just can't win these days.:lol:

I vote for Pink Floyd "Sheep".

Archived