The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The SNC-Lavalin Scandal - Jody Wilson-Raybould Refuses to leave Office

DonLever

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I only seem to see criticism of Alberta from you.

thats because most of the silly bs is coming out of AB right now. I hate to break it to you, but the whole "Alberta vs the world' thing only lives in the heads of people in that province. You admit you see the group think, as evidenced by the support for Kenney despite so many reasons to not vote for him. There's too many people in AB that say things like "we do more" and like to demonize other provinces. None of the myths are real or true, but I guess it makes some feel better. 

I guarantee it, if this was a Suncor scandal, there'd be no scandal, at least out of Scheer. 

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Food for thought, and no.  The timelines and events are in fact exact and early looked in to

image.png.3a84eb410f7d250be9983f3889f04ff0.png

Regardless of who was/is in power, I'm sure they would have exactly what JT was trying to do.  Cuz saving SNC means votes in Quebec. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/the-legal-advice-wilson-raybould-should-have-taken/ar-BBVSfr0?li=AAggNb9

A curious thing happened on the way to the impasse between the Prime Minister’s Office and Jody Wilson-Raybould. Although the Department of Justice has lots of legal advice immediately at hand, the prime minister tried to persuade her to hire a lawyer to give her further legal advice in an attempt to find a solution to the standoff between them.

He proposed the most distinguished lawyer in Canada, the former chief justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, the Honourable Beverley McLachlin. Not a bad offer. She refused.

I think I know what advice she might have gotten from McLachlin. And that explains why she didn’t want, and never accepted, that offer of legal advice.

She would have been told that over the last number of years the courts of Canada, including the Supreme Court of Canada, have pretty consistently been striking down mandatory minimum penalties in criminal sentencing because they give a judge no choice about the sentence. The law under which anyone is punished must allow sufficient discretion by the trial judge to give justice to minor offenders.

The law that would apply to SNC-Lavalin if they were convicted provides little judicial discretion at all (and then only to cover cases where the impact on the public interest or the security of Canada would be extremely great), but it gives no discretion to lower the 10-year prohibition on bidding for government contracts in Canada for minor offenders whose culpability is less than that of the worst offender and the worst offence.

Thus, a small company offering a tiny bribe for a first-time foreign contract is subject to the same 10-year ban as someone like SNC-Lavalin, a large, well-funded, sophisticated corporation, experienced both in foreign governmental contracts and which bought Gaddafi’s son a $28 million dollar yacht.

For a small corporation, the penalty would be cruel and unusual and a violation of section 12 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as disproportionate.

Accordingly, she would be told, do not pick this hill to die on. The decision to require a 10-year bidding ban under the law, which you are insisting cannot be interfered with, is likely, itself, to be unconstitutional.

A trial judge who convicted SNC-Lavalin would declare it to be unconstitutional and impose a bidding ban on government contracts for no time at all or whatever time up to 10 years she thought just.

The government of Justin Trudeau came into office and sought to repeal a vast majority of these mandatory minimum penalties in every area of the Criminal Code. Harper passed these minimum penalties everywhere: he didn’t trust judges to do what’s right. Trudeau did.

The mystery is why he has not done so already. Wilson-Raybould blamed such minimum penalties for causing trial delays and said on Feb. 11, 2017, that “wholesale change” was coming “in the very near future.” Not true.

In the end, she preferred the principle of attorney general autonomy, protecting her ability to make decisions without pressure from a political office.

The solution to the problem is not complex. Fulfil the campaign promise to repeal minimum penalties, including this one. The justice system will be better for it. The world will see that we trust our judges to do what is right, after they have heard a case based on real evidence.

And the government would no longer be in this crisis.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

intereresting opinion, which from him carries more weight than most. http://www.rubyshiller.com/service/clayton-ruby/

It was an odd part of JWRs tape where she dodged the PCO offer to hire McLachlin. Why not get her take on it? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Regardless of who was/is in power, I'm sure they would have exactly what JT was trying to do.  Cuz saving SNC means votes in Quebec. 

and why shouldn't it? I'm disturbed by the idea that saving jobs should come 2nd. If our politicians aren't out there either helping to generate and/or saving jobs what the hell good are they?

ideas of justice are so abstracted now it seems like its an excuse for anything, from being outraged over a box of chocolates to thinking jobs don't matter. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and why shouldn't it? I'm disturbed by the idea that saving jobs should come 2nd. If our politicians aren't out there either helping to generate and/or saving jobs what the hell good are they?

ideas of justice are so abstracted now it seems like its an excuse for anything, from being outraged over a box of chocolates to thinking jobs don't matter. 

Yeah this whole thing is just so contrived. The mantra that Trudeau wasn't doing it to save jobs, he was doing it to save votes....it's just so disingenuous.

Why can't it be both and what's so bad about that? Theoretically, anything that garners a politician more votes is something that's good for the country, or a least a part of the country. (you know, like buying a pipeline)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah this whole thing is just so contrived. The mantra that Trudeau wasn't doing it to save jobs, he was doing it to save votes....it's just so disingenuous.

Why can't it be both and what's so bad about that? Theoretically, anything that garners a politician more votes is something that's good for the country, or a least a part of the country. (you know, like buying a pipeline)

its also the idea that the justice system is free from influence thats odd to me. Influence can be a good thing. Without influence there'd be no sentencing reform, or dying with dignity laws, or consideration of things like how skewed treatment of aboriginal people has been in the system. etc etc. Thats all changing because of political influence. But some jobs, centred in Quebec? pffft, thats scandalous. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have no problem with that at all.  Cuz jobs = votes.

And quite honestly, Canada needs to keep and create more jobs to keep the economy going.  Especially with all the stupid tariffs from Trump. 

• Upvote 1

Not even bothering to hide it anymore

Trudeau effectively did absolutely nothing wrong.  The more that comes out the more he looks like he was literally just doing his job to protect the country.

SNC lied about their stance

JWR lied about her stance

The whole issue started previously under a different government

Scheer secretly met with SNC executives and made no mention of it

Honestly...this is about as substantial as bird crap on a freshly washed car, looks bad but is pretty much nothing

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not even bothering to hide it anymore

Trudeau effectively did absolutely nothing wrong.  The more that comes out the more he looks like he was literally just doing his job to protect the country.

SNC lied about their stance

JWR lied about her stance

The whole issue started previously under a different government

Scheer secretly met with SNC executives and made no mention of it

Honestly...this is about as substantial as bird crap on a freshly washed car, looks bad but is pretty much nothing

The Americans must be shaking their heads at us..."Really? This is what passes for a scandal in Canada?" :blink:

Donald Trump: "Hold my beer".....

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The Americans must be shaking their heads at us..."Really? This is what passes for a scandal in Canada?" :blink:

Donald Trump: "Hold my beer".....

For me the same people that are screaming for Trudeaus head for this are the same ones that claim he is doing nothing or has done nothing for Alberta or the energy/oil and gas sector

Facts don't matter to opinion

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For me the same people that are screaming for Trudeaus head for this are the same ones that claim he is doing nothing or has done nothing for Alberta or the energy/oil and gas sector

Facts don't matter to opinion

That part is baffling to me....he spent 4.5 billion on a pipeline FFS....<_<

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. Yet Alberta hates him more than anywhere else.....:huh:

I suspect JT will power through the Trans Mountain pipeline (before elections) and garner AB votes at the expense of some BC votes.

The oil just makes too much $$  for Canada to ignore.

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sins of the father....

National Energy Program are three words that still make Albertans Go ape****.

apparently its all about "rage" in Alberta right now. Yeah, makes sense, people do dumb things when they're mad.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/jason-kenney-opinion-1.5094708

Alberta's rage has rendered Jason Kenney near-bulletproof

• Upvote 2