The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Card Thread

Roberts

• 2 weeks later...

Call me crazy, but I think I'm going to try to find 1 card (in a Canuck jersey) for every Canuck that played a game for them.  After going through all my cards and splitting some with my brother I already have ~130.  As my boys get into Canuck fandom, I thought it would be neat to put them in a binder so they can see all the players over the years.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 7:42 PM, Wilbur said:

Call me crazy, but I think I'm going to try to find 1 card (in a Canuck jersey) for every Canuck that played a game for them.  After going through all my cards and splitting some with my brother I already have ~130.  As my boys get into Canuck fandom, I thought it would be neat to put them in a binder so they can see all the players over the years.

that's awesome! good luck!

ive put off organizing hockey cards into binders for a long time, seems like this is the perfect opportunity to get that happening again. I have a binder dedicated to Tim Hortons hockey cards from the last few years. They are divided by years, and sorted first by specialty, then base cards are sorted by team. I'll try to post pictures later on.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:48 PM, Roberts said:

Trading Card Thread Info:

Welcome to the non-official Trading Card Thread! This is a place to discuss everything about trading cards, as well as post pictures and tell stories about experiences you've had with trading cards. Feel free to discuss any types of trading cards you like such as Hockey cards, Baseball cards, or even non-sports related trading cards. If you just want to show off a great card you just pulled you can do that too! I am very interested in seeing what you all have.

My Card Collection:

Connor McDavid Upper Deck 2015-16 Young Guns Rookie Card (BGS 9.5)

I pulled this card in an Upper Deck 2015-16 Series 1 Hobby Box a couple years ago. I sent it in to be graded by Beckett and it got a 9.5 Gem Mint grading which is fantastic! The surface got a 10 which I heard is very rare and hard to get.

20190416_171640_HDR.thumb.jpg.4c99e83863f5d9c2a048d71680e6f0c5.jpg   20190416_181842_HDR.thumb.jpg.fc8e6ce6686f003f342ecb3e35119ba8.jpg

Mikko Rantanen Upper Deck 2015-16 Young Guns Rookie Card (UD Exclusives 002/100)

I pulled this card in an Upper Deck 2015-16 Series 1 Hobby Box a couple years ago. This is a rare card because of it being a UD Exclusives card numbered out of 100. I sent it in to be graded by Beckett and it got a 9 Mint which is great! When I first unboxed this card I had it put in a binder with my other young guns cards, but as soon as I realized it's true value, I put it in a plastic sleeve and a hard plastic toploader, then got it graded by Beckett.

20190416_182555_HDR.thumb.jpg.ad497a8e058566ed6251d53b275a6a58.jpg   20190416_180802_HDR.thumb.jpg.8123cea3405301e1c62f8c84860b7c2b.jpg

Elias Pettersson Upper Deck 2018-19 Young Guns Rookie Card

I pulled this card in an Upper Deck 2018-19 series 1 hockey tin. I don't think I have to explain why this is one of my favourite cards :). I will probably get this card graded by Beckett eventually, but for now it's safe in a plastic sleeve and a hard plastic toploader.

20190228_132930_HDR.thumb.jpg.83fa527e675e6a9665ceb53d67f82211.jpg Backside photo to be posted.

Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card (KSA 7)

I did not pull this card, nor did I have it graded myself, I was given this as a gift years ago. This is probably considered the hockey card of all hockey cards. I heard one of these graded PSA 10 went for nearly $500,000 :blink:

20190228_134230_HDR.thumb.jpg.610ff7939a5d20d53b61a98003814298.jpg Backside photo to be posted.

Other Info:

More pictures are coming soon. I will have some updated photos of these cards, as well as pictures from the backsides of these cards too. I will also find some other cards in my collection worth posting here.

That gretzky is a fake.. u can tell by that orange dot on that right shoulder

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 4:28 PM, soosoodeff said:

i read that the dot is actually a sign that it's a real card, not fake.

On 3/27/2020 at 4:28 PM, soosoodeff said:

That Gretzky card is definitely real:

1. It has the orange dot, which all OPC Gretzky rookies have. Topps don't have it.

2. It has the rough OPC cut on the edges.

The only problem I see is the KSA grading. If you sent it to PSA, it might only come back a 6 or so. Centering is off and some rounding on the bottom two corners. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 months later...

Sold my Toews Young Guns at a card store today.  Guy paid me $70 + $35 in Canucks cards for my "1 of every player that has a card in a Canuck jersey" binder.  I'm happy with the value I got.  Probably could've more if I sold it myself on eBay, but honestly, getting $105 in value without the hassle selling it myself is well worth it.  Plus, I got lot of 70s Canuck cards that now don't have to track down.  The binder is coming together!

On 8/2/2020 at 10:38 AM, Wilbur said:

I've been doing research on some players I need and it looks like Aaron Rome doesn't have a card as a Vancouver Canuck.  First one with a good number of games played that I've come across.

Not all that uncommon you'll find. Typically most players will get some cards in their rookie or sophomore year. After that, most teams only have 12-16 or so players that get cards each year. Guys like Rome, who get bumped back to the AHL frequently rarely get cards.

On a side note, damn the price of cards is going up like crazy...Graded McDavid YGs are now selling for over $1000. Doubled in price in the last few months.

12 minutes ago, taxi said:

Not all that uncommon you'll find. Typically most players will get some cards in their rookie or sophomore year. After that, most teams only have 12-16 or so players that get cards each year. Guys like Rome, who get bumped back to the AHL frequently rarely get cards.

On a side note, damn the price of cards is going up like crazy...Graded McDavid YGs are now selling for over $1000. Doubled in price in the last few months.

Yeah, I was at a card store the other day and main guy there was saying with the Pandemic people have spent more time on their card collections.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for some input here.  As I said before, as a hobby, I'm slowly tracking down 1 card for every player that has played a game in a Canuck uniform and has a card as a Canuck.  Here's an example of 1 page:

Spoiler

1171631910_page2.thumb.jpg.0b89024706aebcee8275ebf8f697ef44.jpg

I thought I would put them in order of games played as a Canuck (regular season) so this is my page 2 (page 1 is missing Edler still).

Where I'm looking for input is for card criteria of some players.  There are some where they are labelled as a Canuck but they have a different jersey on (perhaps they got traded).  For example, this is the only card that mentions the Canucks for Roland Eriksson

Roland Eriksson

A "Canuck" card but not in a Canuck uniform.  Should I include it anyway, or not worry about including a card for Roland Eriksson.

Similarly, I appreciate thoughts on what I should do for the reverse.  This is the closest to a Canuck card for Mario Marois as far as I can tell.

Mario Marois [Noted]

For the record, this was one card I'm including as it was the only one of Tim Hunter in a Canuck jersey I could find.  It's from a 2013 set honoring enforcers and it doesn't say "Canucks" but he is wearing a Canuck uniform and it doesn't display a team name.

Spoiler

590806e.jpg

Lastly, as said above, I am ordering the cards in order of regular season games played (so Hank, Daniel, Linden, Smyl, etc).  Should I switch it to Regular season + playoffs or keep it as is.  Looking forward to hearing some thoughts.

Edited by Wilbur

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm looking for some input here.  As I said before, as a hobby, I'm slowly tracking down 1 card for every player that has played a game in a Canuck uniform and has a card as a Canuck.  Here's an example of 1 page:

Hide contents

1171631910_page2.thumb.jpg.0b89024706aebcee8275ebf8f697ef44.jpg

I thought I would put them in order of games played as a Canuck (regular season) so this is my page 2 (page 1 is missing Edler still).

Where I'm looking for input is for card criteria of some players.  There are some where they are labelled as a Canuck but they have a different jersey on (perhaps they got traded).  For example, this is the only card that mentions the Canucks for Roland Eriksson

Roland Eriksson

A "Canuck" card but not in a Canuck uniform.  Should I include it anyway, or not worry about including a card for Roland Eriksson.

Similarly, I appreciate thoughts on what I should do for the reverse.  This is the closest to a Canuck card for Mario Marois as far as I can tell.

Mario Marois [Noted]

For the record, this was one card I'm including as it was the only one of Tim Hunter in a Canuck jersey I could find.  It's from a 2013 set honoring enforcers and it doesn't say "Canucks" but he is wearing a Canuck uniform and it doesn't display a team name.

Hide contents

590806e.jpg

Lastly, as said above, I am ordering the cards in order of regular season games played (so Hank, Daniel, Linden, Smyl, etc).  Should I switch it to Regular season + playoffs or keep it as is.  Looking forward to hearing some thoughts.

cool stuff. I think as long as the team name or photo of the player includes the Canucks name or player in a Canucks jersey it's fine to include. As long as there's some mention of the Canucks I think it makes perfect sense.

As for sorting, doing it by regular season games played is a really cool idea. I think if you already have them in order of regular season games played you should keep going that way. Definitely send more photos when the collection grows!

• Thanks 1