The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeopardy host Alex Trebek diagnosed with pancreatic cancer

Baer.

"But he adds "I'm going to fight this" and "going to keep working."'

""Truth told — I have to, because under the terms of my contract, I have to host Jeopardy for three more years," he said jokingly in the video. "

Keep laughing Alex and you may just keep living,

Best of luck to him,

I'd love to see just how much he has learned and retained over the 45 years he has been doing that show.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Keep laughing Alex and you may just keep living,

I like the guy but he's toast.  Stage 4 pancreatic cancer leaves you with months to live.  By then it's already spread to other parts of your body like the lungs and liver.  I just hope that he can somehow go out relatively painless.

Just now, ReggieBush said:

A little faith and prayer never hurt anyone.

I'll pray for the man, but he's likely not going to live out the year.  That is one nasty cancer to get.  You often don't even realize that you have it until it's already spread.  At this point, they're going to prolong his life as much as they can and manage his pain.

That said, I have huge respect for him going out doing the one thing he loves rather than withdrawing from everything and just waiting to go.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I like the guy but he's toast.  Stage 4 pancreatic cancer leaves you with months to live.  By then it's already spread to other parts of your body like the lungs and liver.  I just hope that he can somehow go out relatively painless.

Stage 4 already implies distant metastasis.  Unfortunately, survival rates are abysmal. Maybe 3-4% survive 5 years.  You are correct, most will only have a few months to a year or so.  My favourite game show and host (actually only game show I watch)

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'll pray for the man, but he's likely not going to live out the year.  That is one nasty cancer to get.  You often don't even realize that you have it until it's already spread.  At this point, they're going to prolong his life as much as they can and manage his pain.

That said, I have huge respect for him going out doing the one thing he loves rather than withdrawing from everything and just waiting to go.

That’s the deadly thing about a lot of forms of cancer.  It weakens you so little each day, you don’t really notice anything until the cumulative effects take the disease to a point of no return.  Hope for the best for Alex Trebek...grew up watching Jeopardy as a kid.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I know.  I was lucky when I had kidney cancer a couple years ago.  It was still encapsulated and only 4 cm so all they had to do is remove my kidney.  They told me had it not been found when it was, it would have broken through the encapsulation soon and progressed through my renal vein and spread to the rest of my body and taken me out in 6-12 months.

The funny thing was that it was only even found because of a chain of mistakes made by a handful of doctors and a nurse practitioner that led to a huge clot in my leg.  While in the hospital for that, on a whim, they decided to check out a past clot higher up and saw the tumor in the MRI.

Very interesting.  Cancer changes blood chemistry and can make it hypercoagulable.  Working in healthcare for 35 years(imaging) have seen a lot of renal tumours.  It’s not really know to cause clot per se, but does commonly spread thorough large renal vein as “tumour clot” up to the heart.  For whatever reason, pancreatic cancer commonly causes Clots in both legs and large vein in abdomen(IVC) and I have seen it associated with this.  Very glad you were caught early and hopefully doing well. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Very interesting.  Cancer changes blood chemistry and can make it hypercoagulable.  Working in healthcare for 35 years(imaging) have seen a lot of renal tumours.  It’s not really know to cause clot per se, but does commonly spread thorough large renal vein as “tumour clot” up to the heart.  For whatever reason, pancreatic cancer commonly causes Clots in both legs and large vein in abdomen(IVC) and I have seen it associated with this.  Very glad you were caught early and hopefully doing well. 

I've been hypercoagulable since my 20's.  I'll PM you the story if you're interested.  I don't like putting too much of my personal stuff publicly on the internet.  Since you were in healthcare for that long, it'll probably bore you though.  lol

Edited by SabreFan1

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I've been hypercoagulable since my 20's.  I'll PM you the story if you're interested.  I don't like putting too much of my personal stuff publicly on the internet.  Since you were in healthcare for that long, it'll probably bore you though.  lol

It’s all good, just glad things worked out for you.  So many incidental findings are not nearly as sinister as your recent scare. 

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

It’s all good, just glad things worked out for you.  So many incidental findings are not nearly as sinister as your recent scare. 

Thanks.  Not really scary.  I was mostly annoyed and waited a couple months after I got out of the hospital for my leg to go back for my first cancer visit.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Jeopardy and Wheel Of Fortune have been a part of many family's homes for decades.

Will never be the same without Alex Trebek 

It will definitely be very weird without him.  He's iconic to the point that I can't even imagine who would replace him.

• Upvote 2