The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/TBay

It's TO or TBay..at the draft, we should play these two off each other. They're both under the cap-squeeze. Both need to patch up a questionable D-position. To have a yr of 2.5 mill Tanev, gives them an affordable D-vet that can skate. Also like sending CT to teams that have some possibility to compete.

With ample cap space, JB negotiates from strength.

I'm surprised no one in this string mentioned trying to get Mathieu Joseph from them to take on cap. He looks like a sleeper prospect with a offensive upside. Scored well in very few minutes per game this season. Could take a few steps and become the winger we need. 

• Upvote 1

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Van/TBay

I believe Callahan has a full NMC, which is why they haven't already traded him in the past to free up cap space.  I think a buyout is the only likely option for them to get rid of his deal, and he would have to agree to that, I believe.

I'd gladly take a bad salary for a year with Callahan, who is a good leader, in exchange for a prospect or pick, but I don't think Callahan would agree to that, which makes it a non-starter unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2019 at 11:20 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Good time to buy from them. They need cap space. Tanev is buds with SS..he needs a boost.

Van Tanev(retain 2 mill, just 1 yr), Granlund, a 2020 pick(? debatable..3rd or 4th?), Brise or Sautner

TBay: JT Miller(overpaid player, yet talented), Foote or Sergachev

Tanev deserves to go to a top team! Guy's a warrior.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:11 AM, janisahockeynut said:

Tampa's 2019  1st round pick will be 23rd OA

That's what I thought too, but NHL released the draft list a few days ago and has them picking 27th Overall?!?  I'm thinking it has to be a mistake, right?  

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-order-set-through-first-29-picks/c-307294600 

On the subject of dealing with Tampa, our best and only deal to be had with them is taking on Ryan Callahan as someone mentioned.  He sounds like a great teammate and heart and soul guy in his time in NY and in Tampa.  I hope that we can offer them a player that they would take from our spare parts (Goldy, Granlund, Hutton, etc) but I think the best deal to be had would be 

To Tampa Bay: Canucks' 2nd round pick in 2019, 40th overall 

To Vancouver: Tampa Bay's 1st round pick, 23rd (or is it 27th) overall 

Ryan Callahan 

Having listened to numerous draft gurus, it sounds like there is a strong group of 25 players that would be 1st round picks in any given year.  After that group, you start taking flyers on players.  Tampa's pick falls right in line with the end of that group, so it'd be nice to snag it. 

21 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's what I thought too, but NHL released the draft list a few days ago and has them picking 27th Overall?!?  I'm thinking it has to be a mistake, right?  

On the subject of dealing with Tampa, our best and only deal to be had with them is taking on Ryan Callahan as someone mentioned.  He sounds like a great teammate and heart and soul guy in his time in NY and in Tampa.  I hope that we can offer them a player that they would take from our spare parts (Goldy, Granlund, Hutton, etc) but I think the best deal to be had would be 

Ryan Callahan 

Having listened to numerous draft gurus, it sounds like there is a strong group of 25 players that would be 1st round picks in any given year.  After that group, you start taking flyers on players.  Tampa's pick falls right in line with the end of that group, so it'd be nice to snag it. 

It's 27th.  Regular season division leaders take the spots before the conference finals if they don't go further.

1 to 15 - lottery teams

16 to 23 up to possibly 27 - all the teams that have not won the division in the regular season and have not gone further than the 2nd round

Possibly 24 to 27 - teams that led their division but did not reach the conference finals (this year Nashville, Washington,  Calgary, Tampa)

28 to 29 teams that lose in the conference finals

30 and 31 finals

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Ryan Callahan 

Yes......Mll is totally right according to Cap friendly

I think that your idea is good...……….I like it.

On 5/27/2019 at 2:31 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Yes......Mll is totally right according to Cap friendly

I think that your idea is good...……….I like it.

Is the TBay 1st what we should target from that team, Jan? Any of their prospects catch your eye?

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Is the TBay 1st what we should target from that team, Jan? Any of their prospects catch your eye?

Here is what I think about the 2019 27th OA

You or I might have a list of players in the 20 to 32 spot of the draft, but we would be making a decision on

incomplete information...….Benning has a complete profile, or as near as one can have

The point is, there is opinion that the draft isn't strong, but a good draft team, can pull gems out of it, even if that was the case

I think Benning can do that, so I hope Benning gets that extra pick......he probably won't, but one can hope....

That is all I ready got! LOL...…….pretty weak really.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

They have a few Russian forwards that haven’t set the AHL on fire, but just looking at it from their point of view, they need their prospects desperately.  

Players on their entry level deals will be the only way that they stay under the cap and have any room for moves.  

Thats why I think that it would be easier to pry their draft picks away. 

I would love to try and pry Foote out of TB.  Likely hard to do and likely not worth the ask.

i think my favourite part is how JT Miller is typically a cap dump throw in and Zucker is worth our first this year in many proposals.  Same age, same stats, same contract.

17 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would love to try and pry Foote out of TB.  Likely hard to do and likely not worth the ask.

i think my favourite part is how JT Miller is typically a cap dump throw in and Zucker is worth our first this year in many proposals.  Same age, same stats, same contract.

Yeah, as much as I'd like Foote, TB is likely going to depend on his entry level deal over the next couple of years to stay under the cap. They're more likely to trade one of their bigger contracts first before they'd even consider trading Foote.

• Cheers 1

On 5/30/2019 at 11:47 AM, Kobayashi Maru said:

Was just reading TBay might try & land Karlsson(short deal) IF they could manage to dump Dirty Harry Callahan & Miller cap-hits. Still need to sign Point, but they seem to get cheap signings in this dirty, rigged deck league.

Miller's 10 team NTC kicks in on July 1st.

I bet Buffalo would take Callahan, with a good prospect tossed in. Maybe Gourde to a team like the 'Yotes?

IF the Ning could land EK, I'd bet Van could land this JT Miller guy for prospects.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
name-confusion..gettin old/forgetful!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 9:48 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's TO or TBay..at the draft, we should play these two off each other. They're both under the cap-squeeze. Both need to patch up a questionable D-position. To have a yr of 2.5 mill Tanev, gives them an affordable D-vet that can skate. Also like sending CT to teams that have some possibility to compete.

With ample cap space, JB negotiates from strength.

Well, called Van getting this guy 2 mos back(albeit, not sending a high pick!). Maybe now we send players to get a big D-guy? We can use players & cap-help to re-coup picks.

21 hours ago, underrated said:

I would have been really happy with Miller and a 1st for Tanev (50% retained).  But sadly Benning's not that good of a negotiator

Or we as armchair GMs don’t really know how to assess talent. Tanev even at 50% isn’t what Tampa needs. And although Tampa needed to dump salary, they probably had a ton of suitors for Miller because he’s a legit player. Not just a “dump”. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 2:13 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Interesting Proposal seen on HFboards: Brayden Point to NYR for #2 OA pick.

I think this draft we could well see 1 or 2 big shockers like this.

Every year posters make proposals for the number 1 or 2 overall draft picks. In real life it never happens, or rarely enough that it is close to never.

Edited by Kanukfanatic