The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value] Moving up in the draft

I normally don't indulge in baseless trade speculation but it's a long off season with nothing but time to speculate. I wonder how motivated Tampa are to get out of the last year of the Callahan deal. Perhaps they would be interested in a deal similar to what Washington did with Orpik last year. If another team buys him out they could potentially bring him back for a fraction of the price. I can't believe it but I'm actually going to do a bit of armchair GM-ing, here goes.:

Tampa : 40th

Vancouver: Callahan (for the purposes of a buyout) + 27th+2020 3rd or 4th

Callahan carries a bit of residual cap hit for the next 2 years but nothing that should be too much of a drag.

10 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

really, isn't hat how we got the Sedins? I'd call that worth it

We technically didn’t move up in the draft but rather sold a lot of assets for the second overall.

3 hours ago, BlastPast said:

I normally don't indulge in baseless trade speculation but it's a long off season with nothing but time to speculate. I wonder how motivated Tampa are to get out of the last year of the Callahan deal. Perhaps they would be interested in a deal similar to what Washington did with Orpik last year. If another team buys him out they could potentially bring him back for a fraction of the price. I can't believe it but I'm actually going to do a bit of armchair GM-ing, here goes.:

Tampa : 40th

Vancouver: Callahan (for the purposes of a buyout) + 27th+2020 3rd or 4th

Callahan carries a bit of residual cap hit for the next 2 years but nothing that should be too much of a drag.

I like this but would rather try to 3 way with Ottawa or Arizona and leverage Erikson. Tell him we waive him out of camp if he cant light it up out of camp.

19 hours ago, HughMungus said:

I really think we need to load up because we will be getting beat on by Vegas and Seattle and SJ and Calgary 

Potentially a figured out Edmonton, keslerless Anaheim and LA without willie

Will a future starter in 5 years help?

Will Olli get injured again and lose all value?

Will we lose the lotto and pick like 13th?

I can understand NJD saying no but i really havent seen anyone argue against the point that the only other multiple 1st overall was Edmonton and they clung to them like pearls and they burned up.

We are NOT getting 1-2 this draft without trading one of EP, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes AND possibly adding.  Why bother?  Plus the prospects we do have that have value have value because they are close or already playing (Hughes, Gaudette, Demko and OJ soon).   Kakko and Hughes would cost too much and moving up makes little sense given the cost and that nobody really has a clue who’s the better guys with the exception of maybe Byram, Cozens and Dach.  AND this is a weaker draft than recent ones, think two years ago.  Last year there was Dahlin, then three distinct levels in the top ten, this year there is the top two, maybe two or three guys a bit better than the rest which would arguably fit into last years middle tier, and then guys in the last tier.

Its not a draft worth moving up for...yes I’d rather have Byram than Soderstrom or Broberg.   But not if it costs us OJ and Guadette and our tenth OA, that’s ridiculous.  

Edit:  wanted to add that our prospects are older and closer than whatever we will get from this years draft, and IF we luck out and get one that’s close, he will still need at least one more year before making the jump.  So if OJ is ready by say the middle of the this year he’s ahead of everyone in this draft with the exception of 1-2, heck maybe even those guys ....  and AG, Demko are already in.  

Edited by IBatch

On 4/30/2019 at 12:43 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

Teams that would want Demko and Juolevi, wouldn't be the one trading away a 1st overall pick.  

Juolevi and 10th overall could probably get you down to 4th or 5th, but why?  Juolevi might turn out to be a great d-man yet, and 10th overall might pan out almost as much as the 5th overall would.  

We'll see...  

Juolevi still has a lot of question marks surrounding him.

Not sure a team picking in the top 5 would want to touch him.

Stetcher, however, could raise some eyebrows.

Troy Stetcher, 10th OA to Colorado for 4th OA 2019, 2nd 2020.

Colorado is getting a taste of playoff success. Stetcher gives them a speedy, dependable, blueliner who's capable of putting up modest points.

This draft is very forward heavy. They need to concentrate on building depth in their forward core. At 10th, there's still going to be plenty of talent available.

While it's true we still need many pieces, imo, it is imperative JB puts an exclamation mark on the blueline. Quinn Hughes was a great pickup, but now he needs to back him up with another stud dman.  Bowen Byram would be that guy.

Yes, trading Stetch would hurt but, getting into the top five is not going to be cheap and will require more than Demko, or Juolevi. Troy has proven his metal in the NHL but we need a blueliner that brings more of an offensive punch and is not shy when it comes to physicality. Bowen brings exactly this. This being said, I think viewing Stetch as an add-on in a deal is seriously undervaluing him, thus the added second for next year. Maybe there could be added value to trading him, should he achieve milestones in stats.

Something like; if Stetcher gets 35+ points, the second round pick becomes a first.

This would give us Hughes, Byram, and hopefully, Juolevi on our left side. That would be a pretty effective trio.

I'd do 10th + Boeser for 1st overall but it'd be a ballsy move to make by JB, especially because it breaks a bit of chemistry he and Pettersson were developing and says that this is a business more than a fun team family. 

Another option is 10th + DiPietro + Hutton + Virtanen/Goldobin for 1st overall and a depth forward

We've got a good draft trading history with NJD and I'm sure JB will try some sort of package to get Hughes.

18 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Juolevi still has a lot of question marks surrounding him.

Not sure a team picking in the top 5 would want to touch him.

Stetcher, however, could raise some eyebrows.

Troy Stetcher, 10th OA to Colorado for 4th OA 2019, 2nd 2020.

Colorado is getting a taste of playoff success. Stetcher gives them a speedy, dependable, blueliner who's capable of putting up modest points.

This draft is very forward heavy. They need to concentrate on building depth in their forward core. At 10th, there's still going to be plenty of talent available.

While it's true we still need many pieces, imo, it is imperative JB puts an exclamation mark on the blueline. Quinn Hughes was a great pickup, but now he needs to back him up with another stud dman.  Bowen Byram would be that guy.

Yes, trading Stetch would hurt but, getting into the top five is not going to be cheap and will require more than Demko, or Juolevi. Troy has proven his metal in the NHL but we need a blueliner that brings more of an offensive punch and is not shy when it comes to physicality. Bowen brings exactly this. This being said, I think viewing Stetch as an add-on in a deal is seriously undervaluing him, thus the added second for next year. Maybe there could be added value to trading him, should he achieve milestones in stats.

Something like; if Stetcher gets 35+ points, the second round pick becomes a first.

This would give us Hughes, Byram, and hopefully, Juolevi on our left side. That would be a pretty effective trio.

Stecher would not beat out Barrie, Makar or Johnson for a spot on the right side.  They also hope to have Timmins make their team.  On the left they have Girard, Cole and Zadorov.  Nemeth too but he is a free agent and likely won't re-sign as there's no spot.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

Stecher would not beat out Barrie, Makar or Johnson for a spot on the right side.  They also hope to have Timmins make their team.  On the left they have Girard, Cole and Zadorov.  Nemeth too but he is a free agent and likely won't re-sign as there's no spot.

It was only meant to provide an example of the level of player we'd have to trade to get into the top five.

I've said in other threads that I believe Chicago will be Byram's new home.