The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Kesler undergoes successful hip surgery, unlikely to play in the 2019-20 NHL season

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Can you explain what this means?

He’s complaining about both the salary cap staying flat over the next 3 seasons and escrow, and essentially saying the owners (“Let a guy that sits in the seats get my money”) are getting “his” money.

Apparently he doesn’t understand that:

A. That was the collective bargaining agreement the players agreed to; and

B. That the owners will always make more money, as they OWN the team.

Don’t blame the owners for signing something they are smart enough to know will benefit them in all situations. Don’t like it Ryan, then buy your own team so you can call the shots.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or run as Players Association prez and help negotiate a better deal.

It’s funny how the owners never complain publicly about deals they’ve signed, compared to players who’ve spoken out about the same deals that THEY’VE agreed to. 

While there is risk involved on both sides in companies, employers and employees, and nobody has ever said that athletes don’t put their bodies on the lines, owners assume ALL the risk financially for the entirety of said organization. Kesler et al don’t give two sh*ts financially about the well being about Joe/Jane “Cleans the Toilets” Doe in the building they play in. Do owners? Probably not a lot, but they pay them. Kesler doesn’t.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

He’s complaining about both the salary cap staying flat over the next 3 seasons and escrow, and essentially saying the owners (“Let a guy that sits in the seats get my money”) are getting “his” money.

Apparently he doesn’t understand that:

A. That was the collective bargaining agreement the players agreed to; and

B. That the owners will always make more money, as they OWN the team.

Don’t blame the owners for signing something they are smart enough to know will benefit them in all situations. Don’t like it Ryan, then buy your own team so you can call the shots.

Thanks yeah, I don't feel for him in that sense about the escrow etc. but it is a shame he can’t live a comfortable active lifestyle still.., and it probably all started from that nashville series i watched a few games live ::D

3 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Thanks yeah, I don't feel for him in that sense about the escrow etc. but it is a shame he can’t live a comfortable active lifestyle still.., and it probably all started from that nashville series i watched a few games live ::D

That Nashville series was probably the best hockey of his career. IMHO the only player who had a greater drive to win was Burr. 

6 hours ago, Monty said:

It’s funny how the owners never complain publicly about deals they’ve signed, compared to players who’ve spoken out about the same deals that THEY’VE agreed to. 

Owners of multi million, almost billion dollar teams are usually better spoken than hockey players. However there have been a few owners that have griped in the past.

NBA:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-rockets-owner-tilman-fertitta-163434688.html

"

In 2017, Chris Paul opted in to facilitate a trade to the capped-out Rockets. By forgoing free agency and a max salary, Paul sacrificed $10,083,055 that season. With Paul and James Harden, the Rockets became a championship contender and pushed the Warriors in the 2018 Western Conference finals.

The bill came due last summer.

Houston re-signed the aging Paul to a four-year max contract worth $159,730,592. That deal always looked like it could age poorly, and Paul – now 34 – is already slowing.

Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta has noticed.

Tim MacMahon of ESPN:

Fertitta has grumbled about Paul’s contract, expressing regret to Rockets staffers and even in front of rival executives, according to league sources.

Fertitta bought the Rockets after they traded for Paul. Though the sale was completed before they re-signed Paul, it seems the contract terms were at least discussed as far back as the opt-in-and-trade.

So, Fertitta didn’t necessarily sign off on this arrangement.

But it was good for Houston! It made the Rockets the biggest threat to the Kevin Durant-supercharged Warriors to that point. Re-signing Paul helped keep Houston in title contention this year. The Rockets were limited in that pursuit by Fertitta’s spending limitations, not by locking Paul into this contract.

Yes, there’s downside to Paul’s deal. Houston is feeling it now. Paul will be difficult, though not impossible, to trade this summer.

But as much as Fertitta talks about winning, he yet again shows why that’s all bluster."

NHL:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/stars/2018/12/28/stars-ceo-jim-lites-rips-into-jamie-benn-tyler-seguin-it-s-pissed-me-off-we-are-getting-terrible-play-from-our-top-two-players/

"

The Stars are a fringe playoff team right now, and ownership and management are not happy.

Stars CEO Jim Lites said the team has been frustrated by this season so far and, on Friday morning, directed his anger toward franchise cornerstones Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin.

"It's pissed me off," Lites said. "What nobody says is what is completely obvious to me: We are getting terrible play from our top two players."

Benn and Seguin are two of the NHL's premier players and the horses that will carry Dallas should Stanley Cup aspirations become reality. In the past, they've helped make up some of the best lines in the league, boosting a soaring Stars offense. But this season has left the franchise wanting more from its two players under contract for the longest: Benn through 2024-25 and Seguin through 2026-27.

The franchise has invested more than $150 million in long-term contracts to Benn and Seguin in the last two-plus years. Benn signed an eight-year, $76 million contract in July 2016. Seguin inked an eight-year, $78.8 million contract this September; his salary increase kicks in next season.

"We pay these players to be the best players on our team," Lites said, "and they are consistently out-efforted and outperformed by everybody else's best players."

6 hours ago, Monty said:

owners assume ALL the risk financially for the entirety of said organization

With revenue sharing, the players also are at risk if the franchise goes bad.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

With revenue sharing, the players also are at risk if the franchise goes bad.

That’s not what I was referring to. The players are at risk financially only to themselves and their families. They do not assume risk or responsibility for the hundreds of other people within the organization that lose their livelihood if the franchise/organization goes down the sh*tter.

Owners of every business, including sports, assume that risk and stress that comes on top of that. Our family owned a business where, at one point, employed over 1500 people. The stress that puts on ownership, even when things are going very well, isn’t something that can be communicated. Only experienced. 

Kesler doesn’t understand what he’s saying.