The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Kesler undergoes successful hip surgery, unlikely to play in the 2019-20 NHL season

Rate this topic

53 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Setting himself up nicely for the 2021 Masterton.

yeah I doubt it, resurfacing is more about pain management and its not that far from a total hip replacement, which he'll probably get down the road as well but is too young to get right now. I'm sure he'll recover for a normal life but there's no way he plays again on that hip. 

18 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

The same people who hate on Kesler for wanting a chance to win are the same ones who rip on Edler for not wanting to take a trade in order to win.

some of those people are the same, not all  of them though.

I am ok with Kesler wanting to leave, but he handcuffed the team on his way out the door,  imo,  a classless thing to do.

Edler wants to stay and had a NTC which he negotiated for by taking a yearly salary hit. I am fine with him staying for the duration of that contract and am willing to sign him to a short term NTC again; as long as the ntc expires prior to the expansion draft.

• Upvote 3

Very much over the whole Kesler-fiasco. When it happened the Ducks were stronger ****s, & I was concerned RK would light it up vs our transitioning team.

Fortunately it never did.

He got his $$$. We got to recycle some parts, & move on from a character that never helped the team's image. Win-win.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Too bad Canuck fans (en masse) didn't respect him after he left. The guy was a Canuck Legend.

He was awesome as a Canucks and congratulate him on a great career ...

Still it was fun to see him fail as a Duck ::D

• Upvote 1

Oh I didn't realize you were in High School. Sorry.

Well don't go waiving your High School Equivilency Diploma in everyone's face now.

59 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Who’s in your Avi again?

Kesler lands way way way closer to Jeff Brown than Pavel Bure on the all time Canucks list. 

Brown and Kesler might even be numbers 1 & 2 in a few categories.

Honestly though, I'm going to miss the look on Kesler's face every time he comes in 2nd place lol

Edited by Boeserker
  • Haha 1

Too bad Canuck fans (en masse) didn't respect him after he left. The guy was a Canuck Legend.

I still have his Home jersey with the 'A' on it. Loved that man when he was here.

• Cheers 1

One of the few players that actually gave 110%. If he has any sense, he'll retire rather than attempting a comeback in 2020/21.

Ducks are pretty much chickens that swim.

Edited by RWMc1

53 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It was one playoff series. Where was he when Marchand was using Daniel's face as a punching bag? Legend pfft I'm not giving credit for the 2011 SCF run to Kesler, sorry.

You clearly didn't watch the 2011 Canucks SC run...

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It was one playoff series. Where was he when Marchand was using Daniel's face as a punching bag? Legend pfft I'm not giving credit for the 2011 SCF run to Kesler, sorry.

edit: double post

Edited by mordekai

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It pains me to defend Kesler but he did play the SCF with a torn labrum. Have to give him credit for that.

Bieksa was healthy. Why didn't he teach Marchand a lesson?

I'm over it now.

He wasn't the greatest "person" by all accounts, but he was one helluva hockey player.  The kind who can worry other teams.

I wish him the best moving forward.  There were some great days with he and Burr and I tend to  focus on the good, not the bad.

Cheers, Kes...hope everything goes well.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, gurn said:

some of those people are the same, not all  of them though.

I am ok with Kesler wanting to leave, but he handcuffed the team on his way out the door,  imo,  a classless thing to do.

Edler wants to stay and had a NTC which he negotiated for by taking a yearly salary hit. I am fine with him staying for the duration of that contract and am willing to sign him to a short term NTC again; as long as the ntc expires prior to the expansion draft.

I say give him the full NTC and a four year deal. Up to 4 million per, but I'd prefer something like: 

Year One: $7 Million (NTC)

Year Two: $4 Million (NTC) 

Year Three: $2 Million (Modified NTC) 

Year Four: $1 Million (Modified NTC)

$3.5 Million per 

NTC's don't mean anything for the ED as it's only NMC's that must be protected. 

Kes was my favourite Canuck player for years, he wore his heart on his sleeve and while he could be frustrating sometimes I never questioned his effort. I didn't like how he left but I understood why he wanted to, I've been over it for a while. 

If he'd have stuck around maybe we'd have taken more runs. Maybe his staying would have delayed our inevitable rebuild. Who knows. 

Wish him all the best though, he's clearly having a hard time giving up the game. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's the way he left. If he was willing to go to more teams, be it Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa even gack.....Toronto, or Boston. But the fact he only wanted to play for one team, and limited the amount of return for him. Burr was willing to go to Ottawa, Hansen was willing to go to San Jose. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's the way he left. If he was willing to go to more teams, be it Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa even gack.....Toronto, or Boston. But the fact he only wanted to play for one team, and limited the amount of return for him. Burr was willing to go to Ottawa, Hansen was willing to go to San Jose. 

Comparing the last season of a guy to a guy in his prime.