The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Hornqvist

Thoughts on trying to acquire hornqvist from pit? Decent top 6 winger but on a bit of a bad contract. Penguins are dying for cap space so I think he could be cheap.

Maybe send back Sutter plus another piece? Pens have familiarity with Sutter and he’s about $1 million cheaper and younger. I think hornqvist would look good on Bo’s right wing

Pittsburgh just traded for Bjugstadt to be their C3 and believe he will become a core player.  Don't think they'd want Sutter back.  

Hornqvist has 4 goals in 39 games since coming back from his latest concussion.  He says it's a slump and not concussion related.  He's had 5 since joining the Penguins in summer 2014 including 2 this season.  He's certainly available with Rutherford wanting to make major changes to the team.  

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If the 22nd overall pick is coming here with him call me curious. 

Hmmm if the Canucks can get a 2nd round pick from some one (maybe in a Tanev trade) then  maybe baertschi + 2nd round pick for Hornqvist + Pittsburgh’s 1st? Still a decent cap dump for Pittsburgh. Both players have concussion history

Edit: ideally the Canucks would package baertschi with their third for this trade but I’m not sure Pitts goes for that

Edited by The_Rocket
  • Upvote 1

I would go hard. Not sure what the value would be. And if we manage to make the playoffs we need fwds like him and Beagle.

Given the cap motivation maybe they take a young guy with upside.

Jake Virtanen/ Adam Gaudette (nhl ready. About to break out. Can leverage contract negotions)

For 

Hornquist (expiring contract)

Almeida (helps Utica)

Pittsburgh can then use the new cap how they wish. Which is another plus.

3 hours ago, mll said:

Pittsburgh just traded for Bjugstadt to be their C3 and believe he will become a core player.  Don't think they'd want Sutter back.  

Hornqvist has 4 goals in 39 games since coming back from his latest concussion.  He says it's a slump and not concussion related.  He's had 5 since joining the Penguins in summer 2014 including 2 this season.  He's certainly available with Rutherford wanting to make major changes to the team.  

I'd much rather have him and the 22nd pick, vs. Lucic and the 8th. 

If he is healthy he's a good producer, much like Baer. Also concussion prone. Its a risk but at least its on the health side vs. a player thats just declined like Lucic. 

• Cheers 1

You could see at the Worlds how his experience playing with Crosby and Malkin lets him know where to go so Petey could find him. I think he can teach a lot.

The only real reservation should be how Eriksson panned out. But granted the sedins were much older than this current situation.

And then we can have  lines of

Horvat and Eriksson and Hornquist

Petey and Boeser ans Pearson

Of a mix of that and take out whoever is struggling with

Baerschi

Spooner

Leivo

Virtanen

Goldobin (?)

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd much rather have him and the 22nd pick, vs. Lucic and the 8th. 

If he is healthy he's a good producer, much like Baer. Also concussion prone. Its a risk but at least its on the health side vs. a player thats just declined like Lucic. 

Rob Rossi covers the Penguins for the Athletic.  Replying to a comment on how brutal Hornqvist has looked for stretches of the season and how he was a non factor down the stretch wrote back: "it’s looking like that deal might go south sooner than reasonable expectation".

If such a deal happens just hope that there's the right due diligence done.  

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, mll said:

Rob Rossi covers the Penguins for the Athletic.  Replying to a comment on how brutal Hornqvist has looked for stretches of the season and how he was a non factor down the stretch wrote back: "it’s looking like that deal might go south sooner than reasonable expectation".

If such a deal happens just hope that there's the right due diligence done.  

oh for sure. I have more faith in our amateur scouting team but he does look pretty good right now at the worlds. 

6 hours ago, mll said:

If i’m The penguins GM, I’m looking at Bjugstad as a possible Top 6 replacement for Hornqvist on the RW, not as a bottom 6 centre. I think he’d be better suited for that role. 

If trading Hornqvist means Bjugstad plays RW then it opens up a hole in the 3rd line centre position. That hole is filled if you acquire a 3rd line centre in return. 

In my mind it makes sense for Pittsburgh. The only hesitation is the value might be off

15 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

If i’m The penguins GM, I’m looking at Bjugstad as a possible Top 6 replacement for Hornqvist on the RW, not as a bottom 6 centre. I think he’d be better suited for that role. 

If trading Hornqvist means Bjugstad plays RW then it opens up a hole in the 3rd line centre position. That hole is filled if you acquire a 3rd line centre in return. 

In my mind it makes sense for Pittsburgh. The only hesitation is the value might be off

Then it would be McCann at C3.  Pittsburgh is looking for production from their 3rd line.  They brought in Brassard who was C1 in Ottawa before Duchene, but it didn't work so they traded him for Bjugstad.

Edited by mll

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh for sure. I have more faith in our amateur scouting team but he does look pretty good right now at the worlds. 

So do Nylander, Wennberg and Turris.   Wennberg only 2 goals all season, healthy scratched for most of the playoffs and now playing C1 for team Sweden.  Nylander tied for the lead in points at the Worlds with 10pts after 4 games.

• Like 1