The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal Draft Day] Van - Wild

2 minutes ago, mll said:

He is considered fully healthy and wants to continue to play.   Players can't be put preventively on LTIR - that's CBA circumvention and can cost draft picks.

Benning was asked and answered that he is fully healthy.  Benning doesn't sound concerned going forward - he says everyone can have a concussion.  He's basically treating it like any other injury.  

I mean, I’m happy for Baertschi, but I’m just not expecting much from him in terms of staying healthy.   As a result of Baertschi’s health struggles, I’d still rather see the Canucks get another guy that can play on the top line with Boeser and Pettersson.  

Put Baertschi with Gaudette and Virtanen on the 3rd line.

#####-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-####

Baertechi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwan

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Just on the topic of Beartschi.

I like Baertschi and he produces reasonably well when healthy, but he’s just too injury prone.   With respect to Baertschi and his family, I kind of hope that we can put him on LTIR and just let the guy retire.   

I would be very happy obviously if we had Baertschi and he played 70+ games for us, but I’m starting to think that it just isn’t likely.

Same with Edler, same with Sutter.  One we will re-sign, the other we will cross fingers and hope he plays every game to the TDL, and plays well enough so we can shop him....unless of course we are still in the mix in which case we won’t, and he will be injured the game after the TDL ha ha.

8 hours ago, the grinder said:

lol at rookies don't solve problems  what a crock  who was leading scorer for the canucks??   hmmm a rookie  who was tied for scoring the year before  ? a rookie   how do you build a winning team  by drafting players 

How did Petterson solve any problems as a rookie? 

He was spectacular. But not enough to change the team direction overall. Just like McDavid. He needs a supporting c cast 27-32 to wear the other team down and get in position for him. 

Look at St.Louis. Binnington has been amazing. But the entire team had to he told they would lose their jobs for them to get to the playoffs.

And re: Dumba

I would think they ask for Hughes. Counter with 10th and Julevi/Hutton/Stetcher. Unless they think they can get Karlsson and take something else I dont see it. Are they shopping him too?

3 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

He was spectacular. But not enough to change the team direction overall. Just like McDavid. He needs a supporting c cast 27-32 to wear the other team down and get in position for him. 

Look at St.Louis. Binnington has been amazing. But the entire team had to he told they would lose their jobs for them to get to the playoffs.

I would think they ask for Hughes. Counter with 10th and Julevi/Hutton/Stetcher. Unless they think they can get Karlsson and take something else I dont see it. Are they shopping him too?

They are not trading Dumba.  Leopold did a video for season ticket holders - pretty obvious that Dumba is not available.

51 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

lol he scored goals and points  hmmm goal scoring  was a problem was it not ? now your denying  that both petterrson and boesser solved the goal scoring problem   ,lol not enough to change the team direction  ?  you must be kidding   a team that had their 2 leading scorers retired  and petey picked up the slack  I would say that changed direction of the team  the facts are there , plain and simple  ,  and you think zucker is going to solve the problem  lol what problem is he going to solve 20 goals for 5.5 million 

• Cheers 1

I hope Benning can somehow play another GM, maybe hinting to Bergevan (MTL) that the Canucks have interest in Lavoie, or Fenton (MIN) that they have interest in Soderstrom, if that's who they covet, etc. Maybe Benning can get a top 6 forward or an extra 1st next year (plus the 1st this year) in the trade for the #10. Lavoie seems to be ranked mid-round, maybe even in the 20-25 range. But he could become a more impactful NHL player than say, Caufield, due to his size, skating, smarts, heavy shot, etc. I wouldn't mind getting him at all.   

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol he scored goals and points  hmmm goal scoring  was a problem was it not ? now your denying  that both petterrson and boesser solved the goal scoring problem   ,lol not enough to change the team direction  ?  you must be kidding   a team that had their 2 leading scorers retired  and petey picked up the slack  I would say that changed direction of the team  the facts are there , plain and simple  ,  and you think zucker is going to solve the problem  lol what problem is he going to solve 20 goals for 5.5 million 

He had a goal scoring drought during our last hurrah playoff push due to fatigue.

Those games against the coyotes ans avs he was a nonfactor. You need Zuckers those nights to help out in the stretch.

Youre confusing promising rookie season with team saving miracle rookie season. Pete will be very important he proved that. But he needs more help.

We cant expect some rookie defensment to save us. They need some NHL players to help. They come at a price.

Edited by HughMungus

51 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

He had a goal scoring drought during our last hurrah playoff push due to fatigue.

Those games against the coyotes ans avs he was a nonfactor. You need Zuckers those nights to help out in the stretch.

Youre confusing promising rookie season with team saving miracle rookie season. Pete will be very important he proved that. But he needs more help.

We cant expect some rookie defensment to save us. They need some NHL players to help. They come at a price.

lol and your confusing zucker as the next coming of Crosby ,  a non factor  yet he still led the team in scoring that is a fact and a stat   how do you call that a non factor ? how do you get impact players  by drafting them  or by paying a ridicoulous price  in ufa market and how often does ufa work out ? not very often ,  look at the teams in the cup final count how many players that were drafted and playing for that team  boston for example marchand beregon kreji pastarnak  debrusk  mc avoy  krug  kurally  rask    that's 9 players not counting others on the team  ,  that's a fact  that drafting works 

32 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol and your confusing zucker as the next coming of Crosby ,  a non factor  yet he still led the team in scoring that is a fact and a stat   how do you call that a non factor ? how do you get impact players  by drafting them  or by paying a ridicoulous price  in ufa market and how often does ufa work out ? not very often ,  look at the teams in the cup final count how many players that were drafted and playing for that team  boston for example marchand beregon kreji pastarnak  debrusk  mc avoy  krug  kurally  rask    that's 9 players not counting others on the team  ,  that's a fact  that drafting works 

2018 Canucks.   73 points

2019 Canucks.   81 points

An 8 point differential. 4 wins. 

Its a team game. He didnt have enough of a rookie season to shift the dial. No rookie really can. Thats why we should inqure 27-32 legit players who are being shopped.

Every team in the league drafts. 31 draft and develop talent.

The winners make the trades at the right times and they pay off. 

FA signings get you to the next step by adressing a need right away.

Zuckers cleary being shopped. He would be #4 in goals for our team.

Hes clearly a top 6 winger. There is a lot of whining on these forums about middling players. 

Fenton wanted a top 6 winger coming back. We arent giving up Boeser 1 for 1.

If the guy is still available at the draft 10th overall + Baerschi/Sutter would probably get it done since hes been shopping for awhile. They can draft 2 top 15 or we can go to 12th and give a 2nd/3rd.

Zucker is an option this summer. Not a bad one if we dont give up our core.

Stop trading $&!#. Just stay pat and continue to rebuild through the draft. There is no need to make moves especially when our players are just beginning to scratch the surface of their potentials. Only moves I would consider is our very own orgasm-face floater and Mr. GotBalls. 

On 5/28/2019 at 9:32 PM, HughMungus said:

The 9th overall pick has been selected. 

Benning looks at his list. He is less than impressed and laughs at the circumstance. He picks up the phone.

Offer to Minnesota

10th overall

Sutter/Baerschi

For 

Zucker

Minnesota is clearly trying to shop before July 1st. Lets offer something on draft day.

Do you think the value here could get it done on Draft Day. Minnesota will have been scouting the range of 10-15. They might like 2 players. They might like 2 move 2 picks and next years pick for even bigger players.

While Boes for Zucker doesnt make sense 1 for 1. He would still be a great addition to the team. Good contract and hardworker for Horvat and Pete.

I think the Ducks could make an offer too for 1 last push with their core before full rebuild after Seattle enters.

Terrible!

Counter offer: 10th overall for Dumba? I guess it's a no from the wild 

On 5/28/2019 at 8:17 PM, HughMungus said:

No. Rookies dont solve problems. Look at how Petterson fatigued. 

We want to avoid Edmontons failures and give the youth a solid competing core. Build some wins now so they get new ambitions to strive for physically.

We need to bring in 26-32age players and win a cup like Benning said.

We have the young core.

Pete Horvat Boes Hughes Stetcher

Julevi Virtanen

Demko/Dipietro

We can spend a 10pick this year and get into the wildcard with some other moves and D depth. 

I would rather Benning pick in the 20s Mccann is clearly a player too.

Though I do think about Lindens departure. Benning has full reigns now so maybe no Virtanen home town pleaser moves. But its at home....

So you'd rather make a move to (potentially) get into a wild card spot NOW, then build through the draft and add a very important piece to significantly improve our odds at being a contender for years to come. Stop being so shortsighted here. We all want playoff hockey back, but this isn't the chip we need to use to make this happen. 

Zucker's worth far less than the 10th OA. That 10th OA player has a good chance of turning into a better player than Zucker.  Remember: Zucker's only cracked the 50 point barrier once so far in his career. He's also small, which already seems to be a theme in our lineup.

Sorry bud, but the value of this is way off. I know you're arguing about it until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't make it right.