The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal Government Approves TMX Pipeline Again - Update: Supreme Court Dismisses Appeal

DonLever

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That isn't what they challenged. What they challenged they had less than 0% of winning. If they were looking after the interests of BCers they wouldn't have wasted BCers money.

Could have used that money to upgrade that road on vancouver island that had that accident in September that killed two students.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Nah man that would be the BC tax payer who supports this waste of money by the ndgreens. I imagine the supreme court laughed at them.

Sometime you need to take a moral position and stand up for what is right..... no ?

5 minutes ago, Violator said:

Could have used that money to upgrade that road on vancouver island that had that accident in September that killed two students.

Oh I never heard this. Would think with all the outrageous taxes in BC they would maintain highways. They certainly don't spend it on teachers.. @kingofsurrey said his neighbours 14 year old son who works at the bottle depot part time makes only 100$ less every two weeks than a teacher.

Edited by Ryan Strome

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh I never heard this. Would think with all the outrageous taxes in BC they would maintain highways. They certainly don't spend it on teachers.. @kingofsurrey said his neighbours 14 year old son who works at the bottle depot part time makes only 100$ less every two weeks that a teacher.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/5902629/serious-rollover-bus-crash-on-vancouver-island/amp/

Im sure hourly someone at a bottle depot isnt far behind a teacher.

They also probably only get the bare minimum of labour standards while teachers have collective bargaining and essentially a forever job.Nobody goes into teaching to be a millionaire.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh I never heard this. Would think with all the outrageous taxes in BC they would maintain highways. They certainly don't spend it on teachers.. @kingofsurrey said his neighbours 14 year old son who works at the bottle depot part time makes only 100$ less every two weeks that a teacher.

New teachers take home about 140.00  per day approx.....   Decent benefits but crappy pay.

My neighbours kids is 27 year old in the trades.  Gets 260.00 per day and  vehicle   / cell phone also provided .  Also overtime is easlily available. 

Kids has no debt for any schooling .   

1 minute ago, Violator said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/5902629/serious-rollover-bus-crash-on-vancouver-island/amp/

Im sure hourly someone at a bottle depot isnt far behind a teacher.

They also probably only get the bare minimum of labour standards while teachers have collective bargaining and essentially a forever job.Nobody goes into teaching to be a millionaire.

6 years university -  i wonder what the full cost of that would be.

I am going to say to become a teacher if you relocate to Victoria or Vancouver... for 6 years....

In terms of living , tuition and lost wages....  ot could be close to 200,000 dollars or higher

Male students are no longer seeing this as a smart investment.... better money to be made elsewhere....

9 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

This has to be all smoke and mirrors by the BC government. How the hell could they not have had legal advice telling them they're wasting their money. 

They want the revenue they just want to convince their supporters they oppose it.

its complete BS. It never stood a chance of winning. 

It was all about appeasing the Green party and anti-oil segment of the NDP. Horgan already supports natural gas development, he didn't can Site C and if he went along with TMX as well he might as well just have handed 20 more seats to the Greens. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its complete BS. It never stood a chance of winning. 

It was all about appeasing the Green party and anti-oil segment of the NDP. Horgan already supports natural gas development, he didn't can Site C and if he went along with TMX as well he might as well just have handed 20 more seats to the Greens. 

I agree with what you said it's just silly that some far left voters will actually believe he was doing something on their behalf. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2020 at 9:14 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Sometime you need to take a moral position and stand up for what is right..... no ?

and sometimes you need to not follow blindly. That UN committee you love so much, turns out they didn't do their homework either :gocan:

They didn't even bother to check or have any idea how much support resource projects have from first nations in Canada before recommending we shut it all down :picard: you just can't make this stuff up.

First Nations chief blasts 'condescending' UN anti-racism directive that called for pipeline to be shut down

The chair of the committee admitted it did not study First Nations views toward the project, saying he 'did not know' that most communities supported it

A Canadian First Nations chief is slamming a recent directive from a United Nations anti-racism committee after the organization called for the shutdown of an Indigenous-backed pipeline only to later admit that it did not seek Aboriginal views toward the project.

In December, the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) released a directive calling for three large-scale natural resource projects in British Columbia to be “immediately” shut down, including the Coastal GasLink natural gas pipeline that would feed into a massive export facility along the West coast. The project has signed benefit agreements with 20 Indigenous communities along its 670-kilometre route.

But in an interview with Reuters published Thursday, CERD chair Noureddine Amir admitted that the committee did not study First Nations views toward the project, saying he “did not know” that most communities supported it.

“I did not know that most First Nations agree on that,” he told Reuters. “This is something new that comes to my understanding.” He further said he did not seek out further information on the project because the role of the committee does not involve investigative work.

Haisla Nation Chief Crystal Smith, whose community has signed a community benefit agreement with Coastal, told the National Post, “I frankly find it condescending to the work the 20 nations have done in the past six or seven years to get the project to where it is today.”

She said the UN directive points to the bombastic quality of discussion around major resource projects in Canada, which have received intense scrutiny over the past decade largely due to a perception of widespread First Nations opposition.

“I think it speaks volumes in terms of the sensationalism (around) a topic that is getting so much attention,” Smith said. “There are sides to the story that are not being reflected and frankly there are not many voices in the media in support of the project.”

The United Nations directive also called for an immediate halt to construction of the Trans Mountain pipeline and Site C dam in British Columbia, which have also been disputed in court. It said it was “disturbed by the forced removal, disproportionate use of force, harassment and intimidation by law enforcement officials against indigenous peoples who peacefully oppose large-scale development projects on their traditional territories.”

The Coastal gas pipeline is opposed by some Indigenous people, most notably the hereditary and non-elected chiefs of the Wet’suwet’en, whose five clans reside near the end of project route.

There are sides to the story that are not being reflected

facebook_solo.svg 
twitter_solo.svg

Amir’s admission of ignorance also sparked a heated response from the Alberta government and various First Nations representatives.

“I nearly spat out my coffee,” Chris Sankey, former elected band councillor with the Lax Kw’alaams First Nation in Prince Rupert said Friday. The community was in years of negotiations over the  proposed Pacific NorthWest LNG project, which has since been scrapped.

“Of all people, someone in his position, you would think the very first thing he would do is at least to gather information on both sides of the story. It’s unfortunate he never did his homework.

“He could have looked it up online and found out in seconds,” he said.

Alberta Energy Minister Sonya Savage also blasted the admission by the UN, after criticizing the initial directive.

“It is unbelievable that a United Nations Committee who attempted to single out Canada didn’t even realize that many major Canadian projects have earned First Nations and community support,” she said in a written statement.

sonya-savage.jpg?w=640&quality=60&strip=allAlberta Energy Minister Sonya Savage. Darren Makowichuk/Postmedia

Haisla chief Smith said the agreement her community signed with Calgary-based TC Energy, who is building the pipeline, is its best chance of attaining autonomy and becoming financially independent. Proceeds will go toward broad poverty reduction programs and other social tools, as well as efforts to “revitalize” the local culture, she said.

“They offer the solution to social issues that no other entity, no other political body, no other government has been able to do for our people.”

The Coastal pipeline is part of the broader $40 billion LNG Canada project under construction near Kitimat, B.C., which will eventually ship supercooled gas to Asian markets. The project marks the first major LNG project to reach the construction phase along the B.C. coasts, after years of political wrangling and regulatory delays that have delayed large-scale developments.

https://nationalpost.com/news/first-nations-chief-blasts-condescending-un-anti-racism-directive-that-called-for-pipeline-to-be-shut-down

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Camera just outside the terminal

https://orca.bcferries.com/cc/marqui/camDetail.asp?camName=cam1_SWB.jpg&route=00&dept=SWB

Traffic lined up out of sight.

Yah,  the protestors have a sign " Respect Indgenous Law " 

Too bad JT and CDN governments in the past can not seem to do as the say.

Reconciliation sounds nice when caucasian canadians are at a coctail party  but can Canadians actually show respect to Indignenous populations here....

So far our record here has been Genocide ......  shameful. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah,  the protestors have a sign " Respect Indgenous Law " 

Perhaps if they spent more time in school, they would learn how to spell?

And it seems they don't respect the needs of  thousands of people to travel.

• Haha 1

I am all for protests and trying to do what you believe in and the right thing but when it comes to inconveniencing people and their lives, whether its work, hospitals, etc. then I have no respect for you.  Now what if someone in that lineup at the ferry was coming over to VGH to have a surgery done or has a major buisness meeting this afternoon that could make or break companies.  Thats the crap that I can't stand, ok protest, do your thing, I am all for that but stop pissing people off because people aren't going onto your side when you pull crap like this.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

I am all for protests and trying to do what you believe in and the right thing but when it comes to inconveniencing people and their lives, whether its work, hospitals, etc. then I have no respect for you.  Now what if someone in that lineup at the ferry was coming over to VGH to have a surgery done or has a major buisness meeting this afternoon that could make or break companies.  Thats the crap that I can't stand, ok protest, do your thing, I am all for that but stop pissing people off because people aren't going onto your side when you pull crap like this.

Genocide.....   i guess at the time of residential schools.... maybe people should have protested in front of ferry terminals as well...

Sometimes big action is needed...    Protesting an empty MLA/MP office is not always super effective.

First nations have been inconvenienced for 100 years.... maybe the rest of BC losing a day isn't really a huge thing...