The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Malone | RW

Glad he’s heading back to Cornell.

An extra year of USHL was probably his best choice during the pandemic (certainly better than sitting out the year), and he seems to have made the best of the situation, but getting back with the Big Red and playing ECAC is a much higher level of competition, and better for his development.

• Upvote 1

Chris Faber’s prospects update:

Jack Malone, 2019 6th Round Pick

We haven’t heard much about Jack Malone in the past year. After Cornell shut down their season due to COVID-19 concerns, Malone went back to the USHL and put up 41 points in 44 games.

Malone will be back with Cornell University this coming season for his junior year. He is ready to move forward with his NCAA career after a USHL speedbump last season. Malone confirmed to CanucksArmy that he returned to Cornell this past weekend and is set to begin skating soon with practices beginning in October.

Cornell will have a split-squad scrimmage on October 15th before kicking off their season on November 5th against Harvard.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/08/10/what-hearing-canucks-prospects-fabers-august-update/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That goal and assist should bring Malone up to 9 points in 16 games this year. Not bad given that he’s playing on what’s (IIRC) the third line of a pretty deep Cornell team, and a roster heavily laden with upperclassmen. Will be interesting to see if he takes a big step next season, when hopefully he’s given more playing time, higher end linemates, and better quality offensive opportunities.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

chances we sign this prospect?? 

The Canucks have his rights until August 2023 so chances are he's not on the radar to sign this year. I think they'll monitor his third year at Cornell and see if he makes any improvements statistically and otherwise.

Unless the pipeline gets filled with undrafted college players and European free agents, I'd say Malone's chances of inking an ELC are 50/50 right now. He probably won't get many NHL offers if the Canucks don't sign him.

I think from Malone's draft year, Arvid Costmar and Aidan McDonaugh are more important prospects to sign than Malone even though Malone was drafted ahead of the former two.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Is Ian Shane the good news story at Cornell, his name keeps poppingu up ?

Fair to say. He’s almost singlehandedly won Cornell some really big games this year.

And he sort of came out of nowhere to become a top goalie in the NCAA:

0.941 Sv%, 1.58 GAA, 3 shutouts

Which is really impressive stuff for an undrafted, 21-year-old, freshman goalie who was born in California. :huh:

As good as Ian Shane’s numbers are, he (and pretty much every other goalie) gets overshadowed by Yaniv Perets and his ridiculous season stats for Quinnipiac this year: 0.955 Sv%, 0.82 GAA, 11 shutouts in 25 games. :blink:

EDIT: Ian Shane still get bragging rights in him backstopping Cornell to a season sweep of Quinnipiac (who are #1 in ECAC), including a recent 42-save shutout.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME