The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  He wasted an entire year of his development.  His team just got eliminated as well and didn't even make the main tournament, so not sure what he accomplshed this season.

He needs to sign a contract with the Canucks ASAP and get into some NHL games before the summer so Tocchet and the boys can help him to figure out how to make the NHL...

Think fans are overhyping this guy...don't get me wrong I would love for us to have found an NHL player with a 7th round pick but we have seen dominate College Forward fizzle in the NHL. McDonaugh is going to need time most likely to adjust to the pace of play and duration of season. He likely plays most of next season in the AHL but as we have seen before Canucks in order to guarantee this kid signs this year with us the team may then have to give him some NHL games and burn a year off the ELC. Which I do NOT like at all especially for this kid who was a 7th round pick, but that rule isn't changing and the player has control if they want so can play hard ball.

Hope this kids eventually makes the NHL and can carve out some kind of NHL career but let's not put too much pressure on him...good thing we got tons of wingers so he has to surpass quite a few guys before he is a regular, outside maybe some NHL games to end this season...

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holy! That was quick. Get him here and fast. He could play 15 games with us. 

This kid needs time in Abbotsford, Alf, he might get a little practice time with Vancouver, but I think he's going to find a MASSIVE adjustment to the speed of the AHL, much less the NHL.

Everyone keeps expecting him to come in and start putting up first year Boeser type numbers. He's not even remotely close to that in terms of NHL speed. He needs at least one full year working with NHL level skating coaches to keep up with the game.

• Like 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

This kid needs time in Abbotsford, Alf, he might get a little practice time with Vancouver, but I think he's going to find a MASSIVE adjustment to the speed of the AHL, much less the NHL.

Everyone keeps expecting him to come in and start putting up first year Boeser type numbers. He's not even remotely close to that in terms of NHL speed. He needs at least one full year working with NHL level skating coaches to keep up with the game.

Sure, but we need to sign him. And to sign him we need to offer him an NHL contract. 

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think fans are overestimating this kid’s ability to step into the NHL.

In my opinion, he’s going to need at least a year in Abbotsford working on his skating. Have only seen him play a couple of times, but even though his puck skills are NHL level, I don’t think his speed is anywhere close.

Just saying, don’t hang too much on this kid, the talent is there but there’s lots of work to do. He would have likely been better off signing last summer and spending this season in Abbotsford working with NHL level skating coaches. He will likely struggle in Abbotsford, outside of the power play.

It’s typical of Nux fans and CDC to expect far too much too soon.
Then they mire themselves in the “disappointment” because they never gave the prospect adequate time before judging them based on preconceived, unrealistic expectations.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Levi and Struble will probably sign with the Sabres and Habs, respectively, but if either were to surprise and opt to test free agency, the Canucks should be all over them. 

I wonder how quick the decisions will happen. Last I checked, Northeastern had fallen to 19th in the RPI rankings, so it seems a long shot they’ll be gifted a spot in the 16 team national tournament by the selection committee. Still, these Northeastern players may wait until selection day (March 19th) and their team is officially eliminated.

From The Athletic:

“In early January, Allvin flew to Boston. He watched Northeastern play an outdoor game at Fenway Park — McDonough scored as Northeastern defeated UConn — and met with McDonough personally, with his family and with his family adviser Glen Giovanucci over dinner following the game.

That dinner was a key turning point. Allvin mapped out the organization’s plans for McDonough. It was a restrained pitch, one that avoided promises. His focus was on the investment that’s been made in the organization’s development pipeline and in the American League. McDonough and his parents came away impressed.”

https://theathletic.com/4290605/2023/03/11/canucks-aidan-mcdonough-ncaa-free-agents/

Sounds like the Canucks intend to develop McDonough the right way, taking their time and working with him in Abby.

And even more encouraging, it sounds like McDonough is fully on board with this plan, and it was even a selling point for him and his family.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sure, but we need to sign him. And to sign him we need to offer him an NHL contract. 

I don't think there's any question that he'll be offered an NHL contract vs a AHL one, but don't get your hopes up on how much time he spends in the NHL.

Unless he can increase his foot speed, he's a career AHL guy.

39 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think there's any question that he'll be offered an NHL contract vs a AHL one, but don't get your hopes up on how much time he spends in the NHL.

Unless he can increase his foot speed, he's a career AHL guy.

Isn’t McDonnough 24 or soon to be? He’s big and has elite skill. If he can learn to play the Tocchet style I think he will be okay. He starts up here though. Then can hone his skills in the A. We just need to sign guys who can become supporting role players. I see him as having that potential. Very happy he’s choosing us over becoming a Free Agent. 

Now more than ever, prospects understand the value of proper development.  You can take the fast track and be a middling depth journeyman or you can put the time in and develop a play style that can give you a stable lasting career. 

Hoglander is a recent example of being rushed, without proper development.  The tools are there and management made the right decision in valuing him as a prospect and a project worth investing in.  Look at him now!  He's been a force for Abbostford down the stretch and should provide serious competition for a roster spot next season.

I think McDonough knows his best route to a professional career will be developing in Abbostford.  He'll most likely get some NHL games in to see where he stands against legit competition, but I honestly don't see him overtaking any of our bottom 6 players on the main roster right away.

But who knows, maybe he comes in and proves he can hang.  For every Virtanen, there's a McCann.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t McDonnough 24 or soon to be? He’s big and has elite skill. If he can learn to play the Tocchet style I think he will be okay. He starts up here though. Then can hone his skills in the A. We just need to sign guys who can become supporting role players. I see him as having that potential. Very happy he’s choosing us over becoming a Free Agent. 

Time will tell...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Time will tell...

Not a lot of time for these older college guys though. We will know pretty quick if we have a player or not. It’s just good we get him to sign with us, regardless. We never know for sure how a guy will do in the NHL. I thought McDonnough was going to go the free agent route. So him putting loyalty ahead of opportunity is a big plus to me. Shows a guy has character. He might only be an average player (in the National League) but he’s got character. And that’s huge to becoming a successful NHLer. 

one thing in McDoniughs favour is he has a coach here that believes in positional play which can help to minimize speed. ie you know where you should be and so does every other play know. That said the Tocchet systems seems to have failed Boeser, I hope they can on move from that guy. Personally I've been disapointed with him since his sophomore season in the league. If speed is the current trend then systems become important IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not a lot of time for these older college guys though. We will know pretty quick if we have a player or not. It’s just good we get him to sign with us, regardless. We never know for sure how a guy will do in the NHL. I thought McDonnough was going to go the free agent route. So him putting loyalty ahead of opportunity is a big plus to me. Shows a guy has character. He might only be an average player (in the National League) but he’s got character. And that’s huge to becoming a successful NHLer. 

He's signing here, he's always been signing here.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

one thing in McDoniughs favour is he has a coach here that believes in positional play which can help to minimize speed. ie you know where you should be and so does every other play know. That said the Tocchet systems seems to have failed Boeser, I hope they can on move from that guy. Personally I've been disapointed with him since his sophomore season in the league. If speed is the current trend then systems become important IMO

Boeser's conditioning failed Boeser, nothing to do with system. Boeser's already marginal skating has suffered from being too heavy... in my opinion. He came in in his first year at 195, His is listed now at 208, but earlier in the season looked heavier. Looks like he has trimmed up a bit of late and is moving better, but he needs an off-season dedicated to fitness. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1